Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts
really what is the purpose of this part? couldn't you just run the hose all the way and connect it to the firewall outlet? or is this in fact some sort of valve or something on the inside that only opens up once the coolant has heated up? i figure i'll get one whenever i do a coolant change or maybe the 2nd coolant change. i think the first one is recommended at 100k miles or 7 years whichever comes first. mine will be at 75k miles in 7 years....then after that it says do it every 5 years or 75k miles whichever comes first....so i figure in 12 years i'll be close to 125k miles and i'll swap it out then. i'll keep the stock one as a backup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZXXnkR7s4o
Heat cycles as well as age come into play, it don’t ever see 12 years before it fails, it gets very brittle. Don’t you replace hoses without waiting for them to fail? It’s a guarantee that you couldn’t get the hose off without breaking this part. It’s so common that any Nissan dealer stocks these parts.

Clint

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
One very intelligent technician told me it also somehow reduced the electrolytes to extend life of the core? I don't remember what material it was made of, but it was a dark metal sleeve.
Some vehicles have problems with electrolysis corrosion, due to dissimilar metals being used in various parts of the cooling system.

Immersed in water, a pair of different metals can behave like a battery, causing some electrical current to flow between them. In the process, one of them "eats away" the other one.

One remedy is to install a "sacrificial" metal that confines most of the corrosion to itself - thereby sparing the rest of the cooling system. It's the same principal that's used in water heater anodes.

Another remedy is to connect all the dissimilar parts together with ground straps, so that there isn't much voltage difference generated between them.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Would the plastic sleeve serve as an insulator or isolator between the bypass/heater control valve and the core? Or was the part in question a cost saving measure?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Is this part easy to get to for the R&R?

I had my heater core replaced in my 2006 at a dealer. The whole dash has to come out for that.
They gave me the old core, took it home and checked it out. Sure enough, small hole/leak between the fins.
That job was done at 76k. I thought it was very premature for a core to fail so soon.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Is this part easy to get to for the R&R?

I had my heater core replaced in my 2006 at a dealer. The whole dash has to come out for that.
They gave me the old core, took it home and checked it out. Sure enough, small hole/leak between the fins.
That job was done at 76k. I thought it was very premature for a core to fail so soon.

It’s super easy. In the engine bay, passenger side up top. About where the brake master would be if it was right hand drive. And you’ll need a pair of pliers.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
It’s super easy. In the engine bay, passenger side up top. About where the brake master would be if it was right hand drive. And you’ll need a pair of pliers.
Good deal. I'll check that out. For sure pick up a spare or 2. Never wanna be broke down cuz of a $2.00 part!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'll be pickin 1 of these doorman ones up in the near future thank you as this isn't the first one I've read of this either an knowing my luck it'll happen to me same as Cusser. Scratch that just picked 1 up @RockAuto $12.11 shipped money well spent
Sabretooth do you have a part number for it from RockAuto or a name for it so I can order one?

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Cheap enough that you can keep 1 in the glove box & 1 in your garage.
Both ready for duty when needed.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Heat cycles as well as age come into play, it don’t ever see 12 years before it fails, it gets very brittle. Don’t you replace hoses without waiting for them to fail? It’s a guarantee that you couldn’t get the hose off without breaking this part. It’s so common that any Nissan dealer stocks these parts.

Clint
i've never had any hose fail and i've had vehicles for 300k miles before. i did have a 1988 toyota truck that blew a hole in the side of the radiator once. they may have changed the hoses when they put the new radiator in though i'm not sure. i don't remember. i only changed the fan belts on that truck 1 time in 300k miles. 1 alternator and 1 starter. a couple of clutch master cylinders and brake master cylinders. changed spark plugs and wires twice. had a rear axle seal replaced once. never touched the clutch or timing chain. i think maybe 1 set of brake pads. that's it...oh and 2 batteries.

why doesn't nissan just use an aluminum part instead of plastic? they update other parts so why not this one? maybe i'll change it out at the first coolant change at 75k miles.

anyone know why it has the blue loop thing on there? is that just to make it easier to install and remove? the stock one just has the metal clamp that you need pliers for. maybe they know you'll have to remove it soon because it will make your heater core go out faster? i dunno just asking. :laugh:

when you change it out does coolant go everywhere?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I found this part is available at O'Reillys. I bookmarked it so can refer to it if needed, there is an O'Reillys here in town... Thanks for the info.
are they the same price at O'reily's? might be easier to get one there. i have one 1/4th of a mile from my house.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
anyone know why it has the blue loop thing on there? is that just to make it easier to install and remove?
Yeh, to install anyway.

After you slip it into place, you just knock that loop off, and the clamp snaps closed around the hose.

After that, the loop is just a throwaway item.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeh, to install anyway.

After you slip it into place, you just knock that loop off, and the clamp snaps closed around the hose.

After that, the loop is just a throwaway item.

hmmm so does that make it hard to remove? i may just use the stock clamp instead of the blue one. that way it's easy to remove if needed down the road. i dunno i'll have to look at it in person to see how it works.

what about the other hose connection right beside it? do they make a part for that one too?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts
As with everything it comes down to cost and as long as the part will outlive the factory warranty they are fine with it. My cousin manufactures bearings for many applications and says they test them to be sure they will exceed the time demands of the applications life expectancy. So if it’s for a lawnmower engine or a vehicles axles the end user, say Briggs and Stratton or Chrysler etc. specs to him how long it has to survive. If it fails early his company is on the hook and that’s how those things work.
Money rules everything.

Clint

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Fortunately you don’t need anything more than a pair of pliers to change it on the frontier. If you really want to treat yourself. Hit the hose barbs with some spray silicone before you push the hoses back on. Then it’s up to you to get any air out of the system.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yep, when I saw it in their new product guide I bought one and hung it in the garage.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-10...pe=HVAC%20Heater%20Hose%20Assembly&origin=YMM

Here ya go

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10122276&cc=1444667&jsn=411

Don't forget that they offer CF a Rock 5% discount

from the pics it seems it's just a regular metal clamp on there. after you break off the blue part then you will be able to get it off with pliers like the original clamp so that's good. it's double the price at O'reily's. i may order one from rock auto and just keep it in the glove box and have it on hand so when it cracks i can replace it then.

ordered one for $11.93 total. not bad. i didn't see a way to add a 5% discount anywhere though?

i wonder how many they have in stock? we've all ordered a lot of them :D

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Only a little coolant at most will leak when you replace this.

ordered one for $11.93 total from RockAuto. not bad. i didn't see a way to add a 5% discount anywhere though?
One enters that number in a box that says "How did you hear about us". You lost out on 60 cents!!!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts