Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily I was pulling in my driveway when this thing apparently popped and blew a large quantity of coolant out onto the ground. I was looking at the parts fische and it appears this is not available without purchasing the entire heater core. What I can't figure out is what its purpose even is. I'm considering just bypassing it with a homemade fabrication versus all the hastle of a new heater core.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
That looks just like the heater hose quick disconnect that broke on the firewall of Mrs. Cusser's 2005 Yukon in August, but that was 80 miles from home while towing the horse, so consider yourself lucky that happened in the driveway.

I installed a replacement part from O'Reilly's, special quick-disconnect tool was needed to remove the old part.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,161 Posts
It’s a common part to fail. Mine happened in the driveway working on the cam positioning sensor.

Clint

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'll be pickin 1 of these doorman ones up in the near future thank you as this isn't the first one I've read of this either an knowing my luck it'll happen to me same as Cusser. Scratch that just picked 1 up @RockAuto $12.11 shipped money well spent

·
Registered
256 Posts
At what point do these commonly fail?

If it's a sure to fail part, I'll go ahead and replace mine now even though I'm only at 3k miles.

$12 is cheap insurance to not be left on the side of the road somewhere.

·
Registered
660 Posts
At what point do these commonly fail?

If it's a sure to fail part, I'll go ahead and replace mine now even though I'm only at 3k miles.

$12 is cheap insurance to not be left on the side of the road somewhere.
Mine started weeping coolant. Not sure if it was from the short hose or the plastic, but it was leaving a nice trail of coolant down the firewall and the foam around the tubes for the heater core. It didn't brake like other have.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well my truck has 150k miles and is an '09, so you may have some time left to procure one.
LOL yes I think he does and wish mine only had 3k but my order was shipped out this morning but for piece of mind for me an all us others that don't have the luxury of roadside an live out 25m from anything really meaningful I'm glad I got 1 mines right behind yours in age an mileage

·
Registered
439 Posts
I found this part is available at O'Reillys. I bookmarked it so can refer to it if needed, there is an O'Reillys here in town... Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I found this part is available at O'Reillys. I bookmarked it so can refer to it if needed, there is an O'Reillys here in town... Thanks for the info.
Yes, stocked because the factory ones go bad enough to warrant stocking these !!! The one for my 2005 Yukon was in stock in Chino Valley O'Reilly (but no metal ones available for that).

·
Registered
563 Posts
really what is the purpose of this part? couldn't you just run the hose all the way and connect it to the firewall outlet? or is this in fact some sort of valve or something on the inside that only opens up once the coolant has heated up? i figure i'll get one whenever i do a coolant change or maybe the 2nd coolant change. i think the first one is recommended at 100k miles or 7 years whichever comes first. mine will be at 75k miles in 7 years....then after that it says do it every 5 years or 75k miles whichever comes first....so i figure in 12 years i'll be close to 125k miles and i'll swap it out then. i'll keep the stock one as a backup.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Just a guess, but I suspect that it's there to make the job of hooking up the heater hoses easier at the factory.

Nissan may have standardized on a heater core (or "heating & cooling assembly") that doesn't have hose barbs long enough to allow easy hose attachment to it through the firewall - so they slap this "extension" on before installing it.

(Again, just a wild guess).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks again for the tip, Club Frontier … got one ordered … cheap insurance again … this Forum has been a life-saver many times over !!! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
i ll get one tomorrow. thanks for the tip. on my Chryslers from the 60s-70s i all ways carried 2 ballast resisters in the glove box. and a spare bolted to the fire wall.

·
Registered
805 Posts
really what is the purpose of this part? couldn't you just run the hose all the way and connect it to the firewall outlet? or is this in fact some sort of valve or something on the inside that only opens up once the coolant has heated up?
Just a guess, but I suspect that it's there to make the job of hooking up the heater hoses easier at the factory.

Nissan may have standardized on a heater core (or "heating & cooling assembly") that doesn't have hose barbs long enough to allow easy hose attachment to it through the firewall - so they slap this "extension" on before installing it.

(Again, just a wild guess).
Good question. I looked through mine to see if there was a restrictor & there is only a slight ID change with the aluminum sleeve. I had an old 5.0 police mustang with a very restrictive ferrule at the inlet. It reduced the flow, (possibly extending the life of the heater core?).

One very intelligent technician told me it also somehow reduced the electrolytes to extend life of the core? I don't remember what material it was made of, but it was a dark metal sleeve.

As Skibane noted, it would allow easier attachment to the core for various applications, but it also might serve as a flex joint between the engine and the heater core. (Wild guesses here, too. We need someone with thermal dynamics expertise.)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts