Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 Frontier CC Auto

While I was driving the heater core hose fitting (plastic piece that clamps into the firewall and connects to the rubber hose coming out) broke off and I lost all of my coolant. The piece itself deteriorated internally and the plastic crumbled. Truck overheated, and the automatic transmission didn't seem to shift out of first, kept trying to, hesitating each time but it wouldn't. I pulled over immediately, and let the truck cool off. Re-attached the hose without the plastic fitting (which doesn't even seem to be a necessary part), filled up with some new coolant and drove home.

My question is, does anyone have any thoughts on whether there is possible head gasket damage or internal engine damage from overheating? I have no idea how long I was overheating, or at what point I was loosing coolant. I assume I would have noticed the temp gauge, or the steam coming from under the hood immediately, but you never know. I had been driving in stop n go for at least 20 mins prior to this happening, and a 35 mile drive through the mountains before that. I assume that the transmission not shifting out of first was a precautionary thing, as it threw a code for low coolant/overheating as well in the process.

Driven it a few times a week for about a month since this happened. Seems to be okay, coolant level is staying good without having to add any. Drives and idles strong. Shifts fine. Probably just a paranoid worry on my end, but wanted to hear all of your thoughts on this if maybe you have experienced something similar.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Well, you were slow to notice this and pull over, but you know that. Seems like you might have gotten lucky.

Would I ditch the truck and get something else if it was my truck? No, not if I liked the truck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Probably OK, but the only way to know for sure is to keep driving it and keep an eye on the temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts