Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

so the other night I noticed some liquid on my new floor mats on the passenger side. after looking around it looks and smells like coolant. tried turning on the heat and only got cool air. So my heater core is shot which is fine for the time being since its summer. I want to do the bypass so i can continue driving and i can save up to have the heater core fixed eventually. i have found quite a few posts talking about it but nothing on how to actually do it. my issue is that one of the hoses is connected to a metal pipe and i dont have room to just add a piece of hose to connect the supply/return hose. Maybe i'm missing something, but i'm having difficulty making it all fit.

if anyone has any pictures or can point me in the direction of a write up that would be appreciated. i tried google for both the frontier and the xterra with no luck.

thank you

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well I looked on you tube for a video, didn't find one, but I found one on How to change a heater core. If your willing to perform a bypass, I think you could change the core yourself. Search you tube and watch any videos you find. Just search heater core 2nd gen frontier.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2005 frontier. thanks for the input. I do plan on replacing the heater core, but everything that i have read says that it is fairly time consuming to do. i was hoping to do the bypass to keep me on the road for the time being. i'll take a look on youtube and try your search terms.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,432 Posts
I'd fix it correctly now, if you mess with it and something goes wrong you're hosed as you weren't planning on it and now you're stranded.

Clint

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
I recall seeing I recall the 2 heater hosed going into the cab being fairly obvious. Would disconnect and use a barbed fitting to connect them together. or a short section of hose and clamps if hardlines are present instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya the hoses are pretty obvious. i'm just not sure which one is supply and which one is return. i have them disconnected right now and my issue is the hose on the right (as your looking at it) connects to metal pipe that is fastened to the firewall behind the engine. since its metal it has no mobility and i cant get the hose and couplers that i bought to fit. I was hoping someone could chime in that has seen this done and explain it or direct me to some pics/video of it. I have read on other posts about people taking their truck into the dealership and having a bypass installed so it should be possible to do myself.

As for just replacing the heater core is something that i'm not sure i have time for right now and i still need to be able to drive to work and get around. i'm currently leaking coolant into the cab and was hoping for a temporary quick fix until i have time to tear apart the dash and replace the core. Everything that i have read thus far has said that its a pretty time intensive job.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Any chance of just pinching off the supply hose with a C-clamp or something?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but....Why not just pinch off one line and if that doesn't stop the leak, pinch off the other?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts