Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the email i got from artic trucks about their navara kit. its a very interesting read. i thought you guys would be interested in hearing what they have in mind, i esp was interested about the IFS d44 as well as the 4.56 gears for the nismo locker...vetty interesting.

Hello,

You have lot of questions. We do not offer the AT38 modifications as a kit. Only as a modifications performed in Arctic Trucks factory. But some parts from it can be bought separately.

The D44 is not a solid axle swap. The original differential is replaced with a specially built D44 that is almost a bolt-in. it is necessary to cut away one minor bracket. It takes about 15min with painting and priming.

Although the installation is very simple you have know that AT does not have any service outside of Iceland and Norway so getting support and service will be very slow and probably also expensive. You should take that into account. We have not offered this as a kit so far but that can be done. It is a matter of interest from the customers.

We do not offer 4,88:1 gears, only 4,56:1. Yes those can be installed into your axle but this is a special setup with parts from AT to make it fit. As for the front we have not had many request for the parts so no decision has been taken to sell these parts without installation with them. Yes, they work with the OEM locker.

You will also need speedometer correction, and that is a modifications that we only perform here, in house.

AT does not offer SAS and will not do it. It will never give the same handling and drivability as the IFS. If you want SAS we recommend the Nissan Patrol (that you haven’t got over there I believe) or some other car.

If you have any other question please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Hinrik

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i would be very curious how much the front diff would run. group buy!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
That's very interesting.
Any idea on cost for the kit?
It seems the set up is mainly suited to run larger tyres.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i emailed them for a price on that and the gears with install kit. If its a reasonable price im there, screw the sas. 99% of the reason i was going sas was for a better front diff, this would quickly make me change my mind.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i cant imagine it costing the 4k-5k range of a SAS

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
nj05nismo said:
i emailed them for a price on that and the gears with install kit. If its a reasonable price im there, screw the sas. 99% of the reason i was going sas was for a better front diff, this would quickly make me change my mind.
Yeah whilst you'll have a stronger diff, you'll be getting lower ratio. So off road will be great , highway driving will be $hit.
But hell a lot easier than doing a SAS.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
nebraskafrontier said:
i would be very curious how much the front diff would run. group buy!
I think they come in the ford f150s, I know ford used them, so you can get one out of junk yard.

Ok just looked it up the dana44/ifs was on 83 up broncos, and f250 in the 80s had them or dana50/ifs.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i suspect its a custom made housing. it wouldnt be that hard to do for a company like arctic trucks. esp since only one braket needs to be modified.

I would consder the 4.56 if i was running 35's i will stick to the 3.54s i was planning on running with the sas if this pans out.

as for the cost, almost anything will be reasonable compared to the 7-10k i was looking to build it the way i wanted to. Im gonna go ahead and try and get them to send me one. he sounded hesitant to do so.

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,136 Posts
That is the Ford TTB IFS system. A TOTALLY different type of suspension that has ZERO chance of working with our trucks. Good try though!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
so if the only gears available are 4.56's, that'll kill mileage I'm sure. Biggest pain would be keeping track of actual speed.

Still, if it solves the front diff issue...

be nice if they could run some gears that we already have in our rear ends...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
yup, my hardbody 4banger got worse gas mileage than my new truck and the r&p was 4.65 stock..............

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
they are geared that way because they are running 38'' tires. You might as well try to get the fenders too that way everyone hear will be jealous.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
toyniss said:
yup, my hardbody 4banger got worse gas mileage than my new truck and the r&p was 4.65 stock..............
mine too...well, until I put the 33's on, now I get the same as I used to get with my '97.

what I really want to know though is why no one over here has come up wit this solution.

we know calmini trolls here but I'd kinda hope someone a little more customer oriented could maybe pick this up. maybe even just get one from arctic trucks and license it for sale over here once they can manufacture them?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
dude, mine was stick to and i swear i got like 12-13mpg............but i think due to 4.65 stock r&p.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
toyniss said:
dude, mine was stick to and i swear i got like 12-13mpg............but i think due to 4.65 stock r&p.
got 17-18 with mine...

like I said, would be nice if someone could license the system arctic trucks has and manufacture it over here with stock gearing (and other options as well). I think a lot of fronty and X guys would be interested if it was a well done product and the cost was less than an SAS...(and since SAS is illegal here, an upgraded front diff would be my only option since it doesnt mess with the suspension.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello, we don't have a front diff problem! So the r180 is small but I'm not so sure it's weak enough to worry about. I know, I know theres been some breaks but most of them has been the axle shafts and or from too much abuse. Plus the Titan diff is a 8", mostly bolt on and is available here(in the US). A no brainer!

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Frontier_Andy said:
Hello, we don't have a front diff problem! So the r180 is small but I'm not so sure it's weak enough to worry about. I know, I know theres been some breaks but most of them has been the axle shafts and or from too much abuse. Plus the Titan diff is a 8", mostly bolt on and is available here(in the US). A no brainer!
Um....you seen a R180? I was in the junkyard the other day, and saw one on a 4 banger hardbody.....its TINY.......

1 - 20 of 39 Posts