Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 nissan frontier v6 156000 miles. problem smoke out of tail pipe blueish smells of oil. couple months ago i replaced the passenger side cats the first one was hollow and the second one was clogged from all the **** from the first one. didnt replace the o2 sensors. drove fine for about a month then i get this weird noise coming from the engine pretty loud knocking noise almost sounds like a deisel engine but louder. parked it in the yard took it to advanced auto to scan it had p0420 code o2 sensor bank 1 parked it again took it to a shop said i had one quart of oil in it... and there was some oil solinoide code that was bad shop said it was both said he wanted to see if filling it up with oil would fix the problem and see if it would reset everythinmg in the motor they said the noise i was hearing was the timing chain hitting against the motor because of lack of oil last oil change was 1500 miles before that so not over due for a change my oil pressure gauge was broken since i got the truck pinned at high no point did the truck ever run hot. the cat issue was there for about 6 months before i fixed it and it never had any smokeing problems or lose of oil problems untill out of nowhere that noise started. it now sucks oil ive put about 2 quarts in, in a week and a half. just checked it agian cause the noise sounds like its coming back and it has like 2 quarts in it and its been 3 days since i filled it. it smokes on start up but then when engine is hot theres no smoke. the check engine light poped on again today which is the main reason i checked the oil took it auto zone scanned it said p0420 cat system efficiency below threshold bank 1 has that twice and p0430 same thing but bank 2. i have not done a compression test that is the next thing i will be doing. any ideas would be great.

and im going to tear the motor down and replace all the seals sometime in the future if the compression test comes back crappy my idea is the valve seals but im not a certified mechanic nor have i ever teared into an engine. any help on that would be appreciated as well i can do everything else just stay away from engine work since i snapped a bolt on an engine block in my other truck and spent like 3 days trying to get it out since no shop would help me.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Consuming 3 quarts in 3 days sounds like a lot of oil loss to be caused just by leaking valve stem seals. Typically, they'll lose a quart in a few thousand miles - not in just a few dozen miles.

It if was me, I'd be getting that compression test done immediately - and also fixing the oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm rebuilding a 2.5 now due to the same issue with the cats.My head looked as good as new when the springs where off.No play in valve guides and honestly could have put old seals back in.These newer engines have lower tension piston rings in them.My cylinders even look good. I'm honing the cylinders and putting new pistons and rings in.You will have your answer when the compression numbers are in.Good luck to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts