Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much a newbie to car audio. I want a new head unit for my 06 Frontier CC SE, mainly for the features. Don't get me wrong, improved sound quality would be *great*, but my primary reasons are so that I can have 1) built-in navigation, 2) MP3/iPod integration, 3) hands-free Bluetooth integration, and 4) XM/Sirius.

From what I've read elsewhere, Kenwood's navigation by Garmin is superior to Pioneer's AVIC navigation... and navigation is my highest priority. If I'm flying down a country road and need instruction, I definitely need to be able to both hear and see whatever it's telling me. As a result, the screen/face of the head unit is of utmost importance to me.

I've narrowed my choice to the Kenwood Excelon DNX6960, for a fixed-position screen, or the Kenwood Excelon DNX9140, for a motorized screen. As far as I've read and am concerned, the features that I'm most concerned about are equivalent, and the primary difference is the screen. Does anyone have similar models to those that can share whether fixed-position is acceptable, or if a motorized screen is absolutely essential? There is a very large price difference between the two, so I'm heavily leaning toward the fixed-position, but I won't buy it if there's a strong opinion that I shouldn't.

Thanks in advance, all.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
go with fixed, motorized is just one more thing to fail, break, etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
go with fixed, motorized is just one more thing to fail, break, etc.
Well put and exactly what I was thinking.

Have you looked at the Kenwood DDX516?
About $500 gets you the main unit and you can add on anything you can think of that's not already built in.
It's a new unit I've been eyeballing.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
have to agree with all - GO FIXED!

you dont want to be in one of those OH SH*T situations where the face stops working just at the very moment you really need it!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
already replaced the motor for the screen in my Z2, not fun

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good luck finding a fixed plate, all I could find is detachable... the more moving parts the more crap to tear up, especially with moving electrical connectors. once the copper wears a little bit, you can hang it up. Had an AIWA head wear out because of that

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
another vote for fixed, even if the screen is a tad smaller, you really won't notice that much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Maybe you should go fixed if they are cheaper but I have to stand up for the Kenwood quality. I had my motorized for 2 1/2 years and never had a problem. Kenwood w/ Garmin are the best hands down. I read reviews for Pioneer when I was looking and nobody seemed to like 'em.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
i love my pioneer avic d3 but the navigation pretty much sucks. i use google maps navigation on my MotoDroid now thankfully

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
it's sad because i love the HU otherwise

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well put and exactly what I was thinking.

Have you looked at the Kenwood DDX516?
About $500 gets you the main unit and you can add on anything you can think of that's not already built in.
It's a new unit I've been eyeballing.
Sounds as though I'll be getting a non-motorized face, since that opinion is nearly unanimous. ;)

I have looked at the DDX516, but I think that I'll go with one that already has everything I want built in -- that way I don't have to worry about addons, finding room for them, etc... seems like even more components to cause trouble.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Sounds as though I'll be getting a non-motorized face, since that opinion is nearly unanimous. ;)

I have looked at the DDX516, but I think that I'll go with one that already has everything I want built in -- that way I don't have to worry about addons, finding room for them, etc... seems like even more components to cause trouble.

True, but the "a la carte" method has it's advantages as well.
Some people don't need/want all the bells and whistles and prefer to get only what they need.
Like me for example, I don't want NAV, I already have a great unit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True, but the "a la carte" method has it's advantages as well.
Some people don't need/want all the bells and whistles and prefer to get only what they need.
Like me for example, I don't want NAV, I already have a great unit.
That's why they make multiple models, I'm sure. ;) I'm a bells & whistles guy... but if you don't need most of them, it sounds like that model would be ideal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts