Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased Odyssey 35-PC1400 for really good price because of the Frontier I just bought having some corrosion with the stock battery and just received email from BatteryMart on their sales and discounts. Total cost was right under $200 with sale price + 12% discount code which expires tomorrow.

Odyssey 35-PC1400 Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

Discount Code: 6OR12

Thowing this out there because its about $60 off what you could normally get it for.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
and I just bought a Optima Yellow top a couple weeks ago...

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Those Optima batteries are not like they used to be. Back in the day they were high quality now just a name.
A $90 Costco battery is just fine.

Clint

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Those odyssey batteries are not like they used to be. Back in the day they were high quality now just a name.
A $90 Costco battery is just fine.
AFAIK, Odyssey still makes their batteries in their own factory in Warrensburg MS, using thin-plate "starved electrolyte" internals - Not anything like your average Johnson Controls flooded-cell battery.

OTOH, Optima batteries aren't anywhere near the quality they used to be.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bought a Motomaster Ultra AGM from Canadian Tire, 5 years free replacement. Only $120 on sale at the time. Awesome little battery! The difference on startup is night and day.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
AFAIK, Odyssey still makes their batteries in their own factory in Warrensburg MS, using thin-plate "starved electrolyte" internals - Not anything like your average Johnson Controls flooded-cell battery.

OTOH, Optima batteries aren't anywhere near the quality they used to be.
I edited my post I meant Optima but wrote Odyssey so thanks for pointing that out.

Clint

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One battery technology I'm still leery of is the lithium iron batteries. Bought a Shorai for my FR-S and allowed the battery to get below 13.1V just once (made multiple short trips) throughout the day and it basically became a VERY expensive paperweight....don't think they will ever be practical for a daily driver, they are really designed for racing bikes. Really need to keep them on a tender at all times and do not take multiple short trips. They sure are crazy light though - had the largest and most powerful one and it weighed less than 5lbs...

The lightweight is just not worth the constant worry of voltage dropping below 13.1 volts though... took an over 3 fold increase in battery weight going to an Odyssey (but still almost 1/2 of stock battery weight), but the PC680MJ is a tried and true battery, designed for high temperature resistance, and much less than 1/2 the price of the Shorai... For the Frontier I wasn't concerned with weight as much as durability and power...and not having that corrosion issue reappear. Odyssey is what I know and have never been dissapointed with, so that's how I went...a little sooner than planned to though because of the decent sales price and discount. First time ever getting a battery that is noticably heavier than stock though - feels very weird and wrong to me...LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
So what's the story with the Odyssey and Optima batteries?

I've got a duel battery set up in my truck because I have an air compressor,
and a power Inverter. I don't know how my factory and my secondary (Bosch)
battery get along.

I've been seeing a lot of "press" about these AGM batteries. So is there any
REAL information to validate one over the other? Not that phony Shrockworks
bumpers are "the bomb" or ARB compressors are "what all the cool kids" are
using crap. I mean REAL information?

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
Is this Odyssey 35-PC1400 a drop in install...as in mod free?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

battery get along.

Just as an example, information taken from each company for similar batteries:

Optima Redtop 34R
CCA= 800
MCA= 1000
Ah= 50
Reserve Capacity: 100 min
Internal resistance= 0.003 ohms
Weight= 37.9lb
LxWxH= 10.06 x 6.88 x 7.88
MSRP= $225
Not designed for deep cycle use, any deep cycle occurance would invalidate warranty

Optima Yellowtop D34
CCA= 750
MCA= 870
Ah= 55
Reserve Capacity: 120 min
Internal resistance= 0.0028 ohms
Weight= 42.9lb
LxWxH= 10.06 x 6.88 x 7.88
MSRP= $263
Designed for starting and deep cycling applications

Odyssey 34R-PC1500
CCA= 850
MCA= 1050
HCA= 1250
Ah= 68
Reserve Capacity: 135 min
Internal resistance= 0.0025 ohms
Weight= 49.5lb
LxWxH= 10.86 x 6.77 x 7.88
MSRP= $275
Designed to take an 80% discharge level up to 400 times

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Is this Odyssey 35-PC1400 a drop in install...as in mod free?
Should be direct fit, it's the one designated for the Nissan Frontier fitment from Odyssey website, and there is no specific install notes:

ODYSSEY Batteries - Find a Battery

Dimensions of the battery are 9.46" x 6.84" x 8.69"... don't know how that compares to the stock one.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
One battery technology I'm still leery of is the lithium iron batteries. Bought a Shorai for my FR-S and allowed the battery to get below 13.1V just once (made multiple short trips) throughout the day and it basically became a VERY expensive paperweight....don't think they will ever be practical for a daily driver, they are really designed for racing bikes. Really need to keep them on a tender at all times and do not take multiple short trips. They sure are crazy light though - had the largest and most powerful one and it weighed less than 5lbs...

The lightweight is just not worth the constant worry of voltage dropping below 13.1 volts though... took an over 3 fold increase in battery weight going to an Odyssey (but still almost 1/2 of stock battery weight), but the PC680MJ is a tried and true battery, designed for high temperature resistance, and much less than 1/2 the price of the Shorai... For the Frontier I wasn't concerned with weight as much as durability and power...and not having that corrosion issue reappear. Odyssey is what I know and have never been dissapointed with, so that's how I went...a little sooner than planned to though because of the decent sales price and discount. First time ever getting a battery that is noticably heavier than stock though - feels very weird and wrong to me...LOL

Lithium will be the battery of tomorrow, as long as the cost doesn't become any more prohibited. I work in China, the city I am in does not allow gas motorcycles or gas scooters. I have a 72V 40amp lithium battery that cost about $700usd. Designed for high capacity discharge and recharging. I can get about 200km on a single charge and a top speed of about 80kph. At full charge I'm at 84V and I plug it in when I hit 68V. Takes 3 hours to charge. I also run proper halogen lights at night.

·
Registered
876 Posts

battery get along.

A good read:

https://www.solar-electric.com/agm-battery-technology.html

No issues with my cheap Motomaster Ultra AGM. I believe it's just a rebranded Exide Edge battery.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Lithium will be the battery of tomorrow, as long as the cost doesn't become any more prohibited. I work in China, the city I am in does not allow gas motorcycles or gas scooters. I have a 72V 40amp lithium battery that cost about $700usd. Designed for high capacity discharge and recharging. I can get about 200km on a single charge and a top speed of about 80kph. At full charge I'm at 84V and I plug it in when I hit 68V. Takes 3 hours to charge. I also run proper halogen lights at night.
that really doesnt seem like a bad deal, especially if you lived in a city and didnt want to have to put short trips on your car all the time.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
That and traffic is horrible. Plus you don't need a license to drive this but you need a Chinese drivers license to drive a car.

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
Should be direct fit, it's the one designated for the Nissan Frontier fitment from Odyssey website, and there is no specific install notes:

ODYSSEY Batteries - Find a Battery

Dimensions of the battery are 9.46" x 6.84" x 8.69"... don't know how that compares to the stock one.
Ordered mine up just now...thanks Vracer! Coupon code worked out great. Note to others: code is 6OR12 // 2nd character is letter 'O', not a zero. Put code into 1st box = worked for me, though this code supposedly expires tonight.

Question: will this battery fit in the OEM thin-walled plastic box that contains the OEM battery? Online dimensions of Odyssey battery are barely a smidgen larger than top of OEM battery. If not, how important is a box like this...guessing it is for some heat protection?

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts

battery get along.
I'm sure that you mean dual and not duel. It does go along with the other comment that follows it though. I love my Diehard Platinum battery so much that I have them in both of my current vehicles. I even bought one for my Niece's car before I drove it out to Utah a couple of years ago. They are made by Odyssey from what I know. They can be mounted in any position including upside down and never ever get any corrosion on the battery terminals.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Question: will this battery fit in the OEM thin-walled plastic box that contains the OEM battery? Online dimensions of Odyssey battery are barely a smidgen larger than top of OEM battery. If not, how important is a box like this...guessing it is for some heat protection?
Plastic box is most likely for acid/corrosion reasons not thermal reasons. Would not be needed with an Odyssey battery.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts