Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellas, (ladies if applicable :) ) I just got my subs installed last week and love em. I got two 10 inch Kicker CVTs under the seat and an Alpine amp. It has a hell of a lot of bump to it but I dont like to annoy everyone by blasting the radio so I tuned it down. Now heres the question that I hope someone might be able to help me out with...

1) I noticed that at night the headlights and fogs dim a bit when I do decide to bump the radio. Even though the amp is not tuned to blow the windows out (the gain is not even at half and its only a 800w amp) could this mean that I should look into an Optima battery. I know its kind of a no duh question but what I really want to know, is this being caused by the extra power off the battery or is it a potential problem that came from the install.

2) Now another idea that I'd like to see if I could get help on is, could I possibly run the amp without direct connection to the battery. I'd rather, once again if possible and reasonable, hook the amp up to some kind of fuse box or something else for power instead of directly to the battery. Does anyone know if something like this is possible?

Wheew sorry for being long winded but I didnt know how else to word it. Thanks in advance to everyone who helps out :)

· Registered
3,063 Posts
Your amp is using more juice than the fronty can supply. You can get a bigger alt or get a capacitor for the amp. An Optima isn't going to help you. The fronty needs more juice.
correction, optiman WILL help you. id get a bigger alt. i think of caps as band-aids.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of just getting a cap. I noticed that the Frontys power is not very high/efficient. Seems like if you add a few little things your going to over power what the Fronty can handle. I have a cap in my old school car so obviously its mounted in the trunk. For sake of not hassling and running all new power wire would the cap be ok if I mounted it under the hood? As far away from the motor as possible of course.

· Registered
90 Posts
correction, optiman WILL help you. id get a bigger alt. i think of caps as band-aids.
Agreed. A bigger Alt would most certainly resolve the issue as well... I guess for me it'd depend on how easy the dimming happens... If it only happens when it's really really cranked, and on big *** bumps, then maybe the cap is enough... If it happens fairly easy, Alt is prob the way I'd go... IMO

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Agreed. A bigger Alt would most certainly resolve the issue as well... I guess for me it'd depend on how easy the dimming happens... If it only happens when it's really really cranked, and on big *** bumps, then maybe the cap is enough... If it happens fairly easy, Alt is prob the way I'd go... IMO
yeah it only happens when I blast the stereo (maybe thats a bit much but its F'ing loud lol) The only real reason why I noticed is because after much trial and error, and a harsh lesson learned, I went through 3 hid kits from ebay and finally went to an old friends shop and got a real kit that doesnt flicker and look like crap. So I noticed becuase the lights looked different like they werent as bright as they always have been then I noticed a slight dim as the bass hit. Its not much but like I said since I went through all those kits and got a great one I can see the difference lol. Thanks fellas!!

Now how would I go about getting a bigger alternator? Sounds dumb but I've considered this before but I didnt know if I could just go to the parts store and say hey Tom, he's my hot rod genius/parts guy, I need an alternator that cranks more juice. I didnt want to look like a dumb a** asking haha.

· Registered
678 Posts
Just an FYI, caps are only a band-aid to the real problem, I really don't feel like explaining, I'm sure someone else here will. Upgrade the wiring going from the alternator to battery and upgrade the factory ground. If it still persist then a higher output alternator is in place. In theory any alternator off any vehicle will work with some ingenuity. Mean Green makes some good high output ones.

I had some dimming problems with anything electronic in my truck. Upgraded some wiring and it works great now.

· Registered
316 Posts
I agree that caps are band-aids. Also, depending on price, look into a battery or another alternator. If a deep cycle battery is cheaper, I would get it. Optima makes a yellow top battery that is a deep cycle for hard hitting subs. It all really depends on your budget and space constraints I suppose.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that caps are band-aids. Also, depending on price, look into a battery or another alternator. If a deep cycle battery is cheaper, I would get it. Optima makes a yellow top battery that is a deep cycle for hard hitting subs. It all really depends on your budget and space constraints I suppose.
Yeah I was considering the Yellow Top for audio anyways, even though I dont have a huge loud blow your ear drums stereo, but I do like to go to the drive in often and now that I added the amp I have to get out and disconnect the amp from the battery so it doesnt drain while I watch my movies.

So no one knows if its at all possible to hook up the amp without drawing power directly from the battery? Or would it be pointless to try this?

· Banned
93 Posts
So no one knows if its at all possible to hook up the amp without drawing power directly from the battery? Or would it be pointless to try this?
Yes it's possible, it's also pointless. The amp needs that large draw, if you try and give it less, it's pointless to have that 800w amp in the first place.

Also if you're even going to bother messing with the battery, why not just install a dual battery set up? A single battery may help some, but that's still not fixing the issue.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it's possible, it's also pointless. The amp needs that large draw, if you try and give it less, it's pointless to have that 800w amp in the first place.

Also if you're even going to bother messing with the battery, why not just install a dual battery set up? A single battery may help some, but that's still not fixing the issue.
I feel you. Totally agree that a dual battery set up would be nice, its also expensive and I'm a DIYselfer not a master fabricator. So I bet even if there was some kind of kit out there, (I've never looked into it but I've been told its expensive and a bit radical of a solution. Feel free to correct me if I am misinformed please :)) I would still have to fab some stuff and I simply dont have the tools or knowledge to do so not to mention the money it would cost. I think I will look into an optima pared with a higher output alternator for now.

· Registered
316 Posts
I feel you. Totally agree that a dual battery set up would be nice, its also expensive and I'm a DIYselfer not a master fabricator. So I bet even if there was some kind of kit out there, (I've never looked into it but I've been told its expensive and a bit radical of a solution. Feel free to correct me if I am misinformed please :)) I would still have to fab some stuff and I simply dont have the tools or knowledge to do so not to mention the money it would cost. I think I will look into an optima pared with a higher output alternator for now.
A dual battery setup is easy to wire up. In my car, I had a SVR 1500 Platinum series battery right behind my rear seat running my entire audio setup. I drove a 2006 Eclipse hatchback. I had a 1000w kenwood stereo 4 channel amp running alpine type R door speakers and tweeters, and a 1000w kenwood mono amp running two alpine type R 12" subwoofers. All the power came off the SVR battery. I did have a hard wire running from the battery under the hood to the SVR battery in the rear, and a 200amp switch so I could connect the two when I was driving as to charge both batteries if I wasn't hitting hard on the audio.
The SVR battery only cost me 150. Easy to wire as well.

· Registered
5,941 Posts
you dont need a bigger alt, nor will a cap help(other than help you remove money from your wallet for nothing) and dual batteries are not needed. upgrade the big 3(do a search, you will find it). also, check all your connections and grounds. avoid optima batteries at all cost. they used to be good but got bought out a couple years ago and quality has go down hill. look into the sears series battery or exide. both are good choices and i believe made by the same company just badged differently. you want a hybrid battery(deep cell as well as starting).

· Registered
83 Posts
I run a 800w Polk Momo amp and 2 10's and never have any problems with the lights dimming. Did you run the power wire to the battery and what guage wire did you use?

An 800w amp installed correctly, shouldn't give you these issues as long as the electrical system on your truck is sound.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I looked online last night to see about a dual battery set up.... That wouldnt fit in my budget anytime soon. I'd rather stick with the barely dimming lights and upgrade my suspension.

I dont remember exactly what gauge wiring I used but its the regular run of the mill wiring that you would get when you take your car anywhere to get stuff installed.

The ground is good, I've done this many times before, but what I am thinking is drawing a lot of power out is I have my HIDs on a relay that goes directly to the battery. But once again I dont see how this could affect anything unless something somewhere was not letting enough power go to the lights and causing the relay to trigger and draw power from the battery.

· Registered
602 Posts
try to do the big three it would definalty help i am working on it know got o gauge from bat to body-- body to block now i need + bat to + alt and it will allow electrical to flow more freely

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
try to do the big three it would definalty help i am working on it know got o gauge from bat to body-- body to block now i need + bat to + alt and it will allow electrical to flow more freely
This was also in my to do list for the truck :) Now that I FULLY understand what the point of the work is I will definately look into it. I helped my brother do it to his Altima and a couple other forum guys but no one ever told me what the hell it was for lol. It was more of hey your a mechanic help me out! Thanks fellas!!! Ground kit here I come :)

· Registered
552 Posts
i've dealt with this in several vehicles. An Optima WILL help but WILL NOT solve. CAPS ARE GARBAGE! to get the capacitance that you need your looking at a 100 farad capacitor bank. I dont think you really want to do that. Now what you can do is get yourself a small kinetik battery to run the system off of with an isolation circuit or get a large one for truck and system.
Kinetik High Current Power Cells

they have a tool on their site that will help you decide what battery is right for you! CAPS ARE GARBAGE though!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.