Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the latest and greatest product for headlight polishing? My 2013 lenses are just starting to cloud in a horizontal line across the middle.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
If it's not too bad, you might like Mequiar's Two-step headlight restoration kit. The headlight coating, which can be purchased separately, does a good job of protection the plastic lens (apply once a year).

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
A wrench-head buddy of mine totally impressed me w/ a can of OFF! bug spray and an old rag from a T-shirt. Not even 10 min/headlamp of wax-on/wax-off rubbing and they looked almost new and made a YUUUGE difference during nighttime traveling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A wrench-head buddy of mine totally impressed me w/ a can of OFF! bug spray and an old rag from a T-shirt.
I think that's a VERY short term solution --- that will probably make the headlight lens quickly fade and yellow.

I'd stick to the Meguiar's kit and do it the RIGHT way.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think that's a VERY short term solution --- that will probably make the headlight lens quickly fade and yellow.
This..

I’d recommend chemical guys headlight restorer for a one step process.. good for routine maintenance throughout the years.. of course, if they’re so severe you’ll need a legit kit to sand off the layers of oxidation, but if they’re just cloudy this polish works perfect and will keep them clear if you work it into your car wash routine periodically..

Chemical Guys GAP11504 Headlight Restorer and Protectant, 4. Fluid_Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DDQ4R3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.O6DEbW3GD4J0

·
Registered
99 Posts
Used paste wax with decent results in the past. Then coat with pure car wax, NOT abrasive cleaner wax. The pure wax blocks uv damage.

·
Rogue Admin
13,106 Posts
I have been using a simple process of sanding the lights with 600 grit and then spraying three light layers of clear coat. Works good for 2-3 years, then repeat if necessary.

Headlight polishing

·
Registered
2019 Frontier Pro-4x
1 Posts
I've tried various brands of headlight restorer and settled on turtle wax brand (T-240KT). It takes time to do it as the instructions say. I'll last about a year in the heat in TX. SO, I have gone to just using deep woods OFF and a white paper towel. It'll last a few months and it is super quick and easy. A quick spray and wipe and it is clear again. I suppose I could try to spray a clear coat on it next time. That might do the trick for a bit longer.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just did my 2010's lenses today.

I used:
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish

Neither are headlight specific products but they came out really great. I know it isn't a permanent solution but it's low effort and they look practically new. A hard shell wax finish would be ideal but I used what I had on hand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I was detailing for living. I did more steps but with perfect results everytime. Used to make nasty yellow lights look like brand new. Especially when it came to cleaning up one that was old to one that was replaced.

I used a small pneumatic orbital sander with two different grits. Using water both times. Then took a wool pad and used a compound the polish them up. Next step was a grey pad with some polish then standard wax. Came out perfect every single time. Little bit more work but much better results than any over the counter product in my opinion

If you dont have an orbital you can sand it by hand just make sure to do it nice and even. I'd tape the paint around the lights and go to town. Take it slow and be patient and you will see great results
These are the only 2 examples I have and they weren't that bad but you get the idea

·
Registered
664 Posts
A wrench-head buddy of mine totally impressed me w/ a can of OFF! bug spray and an old rag from a T-shirt. Not even 10 min/headlamp of wax-on/wax-off rubbing and they looked almost new and made a YUUUGE difference during nighttime traveling.
I'll second Deep Woods OFF bug spray. Looks surprisingly good with 2 minutes work. I've used it on BMW, Chev, Ford.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just depends on the level of haziness. Either a plastic polishing compound like found in the premade shelf kits, or you can just get some fine grit sandpaper and go finer and finer and then finish with just a polishing compound. Some people like to then spray clear coat on to help with UV protection.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll second Deep Woods OFF bug spray. Looks surprisingly good with 2 minutes work. I've used it on BMW, Chev, Ford.
i've done this several times on my vehicles and friends , seems to last 1 1/2 yrs or so and i ALWAYS have DW OFF around..just make sure ya spray on rag not directly on car

·
Registered
664 Posts
i've done this several times on my vehicles and friends , seems to last 1 1/2 yrs or so and i ALWAYS have DW OFF around..just make sure ya spray on rag not directly on car
Even though I sprayed directly on the lens, I did wipe it off the paint immediately. This stuff almost seems to slightly melt the surface of the lens, so it would be no surprise if it damaged paint. No wonder it repels bugs.

Not to mention what it does to your face when you spray it all over yourself to keep the bugs off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A little Bar Keepers Friend to polish them up has worked for me. I'll probably pick up the Meguiar's to help keep them looking good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had already done the first one before I took pics, I used the mother's nulens and my cordless drill. I recommend a spray bottle with water for the wet sanding part of it. It allows you to keep the lens wet and also rinse off the lens easily. I think the kit I got came with 3 or 4 different velcro sanding pads, the mandrel/drill attachment and the foam ball. Set the drill to high speed and attached the side handle for it, makes it a lot easier to control at speed. Also if you open the hood you don't have to tape around it

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
I always used to just use the kit from Walmart and my 90 degree drill or my cordless on my wife's pt cruiser. it came out beautiful and would last about a year and I would do it again. the kit was cheap and took the same time as anything else I had read so I figured I would try it out.

I heard about off and stuff like that but we never had another plastic lens car till recently so I never tried it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just know your lens does have a uv protector on it, so after your done its important to protect it again.

Depending how bad it is, I will start with 1000 grit sand paper working to about 1500, then I'll use M105 with a cutting pad and compound the light, finally finishing with a polish like Meguires glaze.

After you're done, a wax coating will not suffice so I usually use a ceramic coating.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts