Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some feedback. I'm looking for the best headlight & fog light bulb upgrades. I'm not interested in doing HID or LED. Just looking for simple bulb swaps that will give a little better light output. Most of the threads I've researched on here are pretty old. So I'm wondering if technology has given us better options. I know "Silverstars" were the bulb to have many years ago. But those actually produce less light and never seem to last more than a few months.

Headlight bulbs are 9007. What bulbs are the factory fogs?

Thinking of the PIAA 9007 Xtreme for headlights. Any other good options out there?

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,117 Posts
I had the PIAA Xtremes and I didn't think they were worth their cost at all. One burned out in about 8 months, and they weren't that bright. If you want to stay with halogen, then you will have to live poor lighting. I suggest you consider at least HIDs in your fog lights - it is very easy to add HIDs there and will help see the road

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
factory fogs are h11. With no HID and LED options you will never have sufficient lighting imo. the difference my HID retrofit made was literally night and day.

checkout some output shots, out of focus and my phone doesnt take pics in the dark that are worth anything. But you get the idea...
HID or LED would be the way to go. I just don't want to drop the $$$ to do it the right way. I had HID's on my R1, but it had factory projectors, and they were amazing!!

I was hoping by this day, there was a decent headlight & foglight bulb upgrade lol.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
If you want to do a halogen to halogen swap for the headlights you have a few choices. Theres the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras which are better than stock but still just ok. The Piaa's you mentioned are a pretty good choice. Theres also the Osram Nightbreakers & Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs. Both of those are very good bulbs. However, the one thing you sacrifice by going to a halogen bulb with a higher ouput is longevity. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes with these type of bulbs.

If you go to a higher output bulb for the foglights, the same is true for them as with the headlights. One idea, however, is to go with a hyper yellow bulb for the fogs. I got a set of Nokya hyper yellow bulbs about 2 years ago & love them. They cut through the rain & fog very well & look pretty cool with my 5K color HIDs to. Another idea for the fogs is to get a set of LED assemblies. I know you've mentioned you don't want to go LED but here me out. The Retrofit Source offers a direct replacement set of LED fogs for our trucks with a 5.5K color. You just remove the stock light assembly, install the LEDs, plug them in, & off you go. There's no cutting, splicing, or anything else to them what so ever. They aren't that cheap, but figured I'd throw them in the mix while I was at it.

No matter which way you decide to go just be sure to buy your lighting equipment from a reputable place. From my understanding, there are a LOT of knock-off bulbs out floating around & usually at inflated prices as well. Anyways, hope you find something you like. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I bought a pair of Hella HP 2.0 $36(pr) (look under 2012 Nissan Frontier to find) for my headlights and Hella Extreme Yellow $20(pr) for fogs. RA also has Extreme Whites (80W) if you're not interested in fogs for fog/rain use. I find the yellow light makes fog/rain/snow a bit easier to see.

Don't be concerned with the Off-road/not DOT certified disclaimer, they just didn't bother to spend the $$$$ to get the certified stamp. Kinda like getting C.A.R.B. stamp. Most engine mods won't bother with the CARB testing as its an unnecessary hurdle.
These bulbs are bright but not as bright as a set of aftermarket lights (driving lights or LED bars) and won't blind oncoming drivers (like the hyper-blue bulbs) as long as your headlights are aimed properly (only needed if/when you lift)

Hella also has (on RockAuto) a 100W bulb if the HP 2.0 isn't enough for you... AND @ $2.66 (ea) .... haven't looked if the circuit will support them however. Power draw @ 100W/12vdc is 8.3A (stock 60W/12vdc is 5A)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I didn't even think to look at rockauto for the fog light assemblies. They're all pretty cheap for 07. Anyone bought the assemblies?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I am in the process of this same consideration. I've always loved the PIAA's, used them in many vehicles, actually for almost the entire 15 yrs I owned my Dakota. But, lifespan is a problem, not uncommon to drop $80 or $90 twice a year to replace a bulb, and it sucks when they only come in two packs. I might get 6 months out of a bulb, or I would get 12 months, didn't seem to matter the amount of use. I've converted all other exterior to LED, I'm now looking at LED's for the fogs. One discussion I recently had with a couple of the counter guys at 4WP's, LED's do have a serious drawback, cold and snow. Since they don't generate any heat, headlights and foglights will be quick to ice over, which for me in Colo. is a real problem. Also, some people report having a "time warp" exp. with LED swaps while driving at night in falling snow.

Contrary to comments above, lack of D.O.T. certification can cause you a problem if your state requires a vehicle inspection, or if you are stopped. I used to run Hella H4's in my '81 Ramcharger, they were not D.O.T. street legal, they were Euro Spec, had different beam patterns, cutoffs and brightness. Until I got them properly aimed (had to go to a body shop that specialized in Euro cars and have them adjust my headlights), I was stopped a few times, usually the cops would warn me they were out of aim, but had one State trooper with a wild hair made me turn my headlights off, looked them over with his flashlight and saw the Hella marking without D.O.T. symbol, I was screwed. Turns out, the cop was a fan of the custom car scene, was familiar with the lights. Wrote me a defective vehicle ticket for improper headlights, had to be towed home. He also referred me to the body shop. Once they were properly aimed he tore up the ticket, even though they still weren't street legal. Colorado used to really crack down on KC's, PIAA's, etc., being run uncovered even when off, since they weren't street legal, it was considered "with intent to blind".

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I am in the process of this same consideration. I've always loved the PIAA's, used them in many vehicles, actually for almost the entire 15 yrs I owned my Dakota. But, lifespan is a problem, not uncommon to drop $80 or $90 twice a year to replace a bulb, and it sucks when they only come in two packs. I might get 6 months out of a bulb, or I would get 12 months, didn't seem to matter the amount of use. I've converted all other exterior to LED, I'm now looking at LED's for the fogs. One discussion I recently had with a couple of the counter guys at 4WP's, LED's do have a serious drawback, cold and snow. Since they don't generate any heat, headlights and foglights will be quick to ice over, which for me in Colo. is a real problem. Also, some people report having a "time warp" exp. with LED swaps while driving at night in falling snow.

Contrary to comments above, lack of D.O.T. certification can cause you a problem if your state requires a vehicle inspection, or if you are stopped. I used to run Hella H4's in my '81 Ramcharger, they were not D.O.T. street legal, they were Euro Spec, had different beam patterns, cutoffs and brightness. Until I got them properly aimed (had to go to a body shop that specialized in Euro cars and have them adjust my headlights), I was stopped a few times, usually the cops would warn me they were out of aim, but had one State trooper with a wild hair made me turn my headlights off, looked them over with his flashlight and saw the Hella marking without D.O.T. symbol, I was screwed. Turns out, the cop was a fan of the custom car scene, was familiar with the lights. Wrote me a defective vehicle ticket for improper headlights, had to be towed home. He also referred me to the body shop. Once they were properly aimed he tore up the ticket, even though they still weren't street legal. Colorado used to really crack down on KC's, PIAA's, etc., being run uncovered even when off, since they weren't street legal, it was considered "with intent to blind".
I haven't had much issue with my Morimoto LED fog lights icing over here in MN winters. Usually just the standard salt spray covering them up, but, I can see where that would be an issue.

The "time warp" thing is normally from swapping LED bulbs in to a standard housing or using a fog light assembly with a mediocre lens design. My Morimotos have a very narrow vertical pattern and I see little to no reflection off snow, fog and rain at night. I see the reflection in the OEM headlight beams but it disappears as soon as it drops below. Proper lens design is critical for fog lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I haven't had much issue with my Morimoto LED fog lights icing over here in MN winters. Usually just the standard salt spray covering them up, but, I can see where that would be an issue.

The "time warp" thing is normally from swapping LED bulbs in to a standard housing or using a fog light assembly with a mediocre lens design. My Morimotos have a very narrow vertical pattern and I see little to no reflection off snow, fog and rain at night. I see the reflection in the OEM headlight beams but it disappears as soon as it drops below. Proper lens design is critical for fog lights.
Are your Morimotos in the factory fog location? If so, did you post the install?

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
We had quite a large group buy on these...with a few install threads IIRC. I like mine a lot & they were a piece of cake to install.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just bought these. 6000k (White)for headlamps and 3000k (Yellow) for the fogs. I'll post pictures once I get them installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I used to run Hella H4's in my '81 Ramcharger, they were not D.O.T. street legal, they were Euro Spec, had different beam patterns, cutoffs and brightness. Until I got them properly aimed (had to go to a body shop that specialized in Euro cars and have them adjust my headlights), I was stopped a few times, usually the cops would warn me they were out of aim, but had one State trooper with a wild hair made me turn my headlights off, looked them over with his flashlight and saw the Hella marking without D.O.T. symbol, I was screwed. Turns out, the cop was a fan of the custom car scene, was familiar with the lights. Wrote me a defective vehicle ticket for improper headlights, had to be towed home. He also referred me to the body shop. Once they were properly aimed he tore up the ticket, even though they still weren't street legal. Colorado used to really crack down on KC's, PIAA's, etc., being run uncovered even when off, since they weren't street legal, it was considered "with intent to blind".
ok, so your lights were out of alignment, they gate you a fixit ticket, then you were good after getting it fixed? I don't understand how a bulb would change the beam pattern & cutoff. Did you change housings?
I looked at my stock bulbs (I always carry extra bulbs incase one goes out when I'm travelling) and they have no DOT printing, nor do the bulbs in my car. I also looked into the headlamp housing on the Frontier and can't see the bulb at all. I don't think anyone would have an issue running Hellas from RockAuto in their Frontier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Headlight replacements?

Just read entire thread, interesting info though I am looking for complete headlight replacements as my lenses have begun to yellow/haze. Anyone have a good replacement? :?: Links? Leaning towards a projector type.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just read entire thread, interesting info though I am looking for complete headlight replacements as my lenses have begun to yellow/haze. Anyone have a good replacement? :?: Links? Leaning towards a projector type.
Ebay has some aftermarket Spyder headlights that you can buy for a decent price. There was a thread on here that gave an overview of them. They didn't look half bad for what they were. I would probably take the plunge myself if I could but it seems they only fit up to 08 Frontiers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Most accounts I've come across say the spyder and anzo lights have poor light output. Some say worse than factory. I'd buy them if the output were decent. I think they look nice.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts