Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 frontier sv4x4 king cab. I live in canada. I installed a light bar on my truck and fed my light bars relay by tapping into the green high beam wire coming from my headlight assy. This way when i trigger my high beam leaver it turns my light bar on as well. My question for you is the following: my light bars relay may not be flyback diode protected can there be any fly back voltage created from my relays coil damaging any components of my truck? Can i see a wiring diagram of my high beam circuit, i need to see if putting my light bars relay on my high beam circuit is damaging anything from the IPDM or BCM, ect. Thanks. Im running this set up right now everything works im just curious to see if over time the light bars relay will damage the IPDM

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Probably not.

Lots of things on cars generate huge voltage spikes - motors, solenoids...even the starter.

So, most automotive electronics is factory-designed to tolerate it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not.

Lots of things on cars generate huge voltage spikes - motors, solenoids...even the starter.

So, most automotive electronics is factory-designed to tolerate it.
Thanks my relay is a 40 amp automotive relay, the coil is pretty big i just hope nothing to sensitive is along this circuit

·
Registered
950 Posts
Anything that generates HUGE voltage spikes is on a relay, thats why they invented relays. I'd be more concerned on the CAN-BUS communication network being affected by the increased amperage load.But if everything is working well as you say,you'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything that generates HUGE voltage spikes is on a relay, thats why they invented relays. I'd be more concerned on the CAN-BUS communication network being affected by the increased amperage load.But if everything is working well as you say,you'll probably be fine.
Yes everything els is fine. My truck threw no codes it works perfectly my only concern is the fly back voltage created by the collapsing magnetic field generated by the Light bars relays coil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The high beam headlights are activated by a relay already. Adding another one to the circuit isn't going to harm anything as long as the wiring connections are tight and insulated so they can't short circuit. Automotive relays use very little power to activate. Where do you get the power from that goes through the relay to the LED lightbar? If from the battery directly, you're good.
You wanted to look at the wiring diagram. You should be able to find it at this link below:
https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

·
Registered
987 Posts
SoCal is correct. The green high beam wire you tapped for the relay trigger is actually the high voltage output from the high beam relay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The high beam headlights are activated by a relay already. Adding another one to the circuit isn't going to harm anything as long as the wiring connections are tight and insulated so they can't short circuit. Automotive relays use very little power to activate. Where do you get the power from that goes through the relay to the LED lightbar? If from the battery directly, you're good.
You wanted to look at the wiring diagram. You should be able to find it at this link below:
Thanks! Yeah i used power directly from the battery for the light bars power the only thing on my high beam circuit is the relays coil.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also i should not if anyone els is going to do this you need to put a diode in series with your relays coil because that green high beam wire is also used as your day time running light if you live in canada and it switches polarities so that the green wire becomes a negative to your running lights

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also i should not if anyone els is going to do this you need to put a diode in series with your relays coil because that green high beam wire is also used as your day time running light if you live in canada and it switches polarities so that the green wire becomes a negative to your running lights
Note***

1 - 10 of 10 Posts