Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2010 Nissan frontier and I'm running into issues with headight bulbs. I've only had the truck a year and after the OEM ones burnt out I replaced them with Napa Gold bulbs, but the damn things only lasted about 6 months, and frankly, weren't all that great for light anyways. I'm in Canada so my local Canadian Tire heavily stocks Sylvania bulbs in all the different Silverstar variations. From what Ive read, these bulbs produce good light, but are not very durable and have a short life expectancy. I've done a little looking, and it seems like LED are now the way to go for both longevity and brightness. I am strongly considering this, but was looking for others opinions. Is this an easy switch? Are there mods or conversions required? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Theres a couple threads on the topic but the short answer is... LEDs wont work with our factory headlight housings. They will produce too much glare, and not give a clean cut off.

With factory housings better to stick to halogen bulbs. The rub with them is typically the brighter the bulb, the shorter the life. I'm currently using these - Philips 9007 X-tremeVision

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've had them about a year/10k miles. They're on fairly often because of the autoheadlight. I pass alot of tree cover on my commute. They are a bit brighter than stock, nothing crazy. One thing that helped was I aimed them up slightly. Nothing crazy, just a half turn or so on the adjuster.

Do you have factory fog lights? One thing that helped me alot was upgrading those bulbs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Throw Phillips ExtremeVision in your headlights and some H9 bulbs in your factory fogs. You'll need to Google H9 into H11 but it's easy and it'll give you more lumens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had tried a few different makes/models of bulbs in my '06. Tried the Silverstars; output was good but the lifespan just wasn't worth it, IIRC 12-14 months at best. Tried the Phillips; didn't think that the output was as good as the Silverstars but was better than OEM but, the lifespan was even less than the Silverstars so I won't go down the Phillips road ever again. Finally settled in with the GE Nighthawks; the output seemed to be pretty much the same as the Silverstars but they were less costly and seemed to last about twice as long.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Throw Phillips ExtremeVision in your headlights and some H9 bulbs in your factory fogs. You'll need to Google H9 into H11 but it's easy and it'll give you more lumens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
He's not looking for more lumens - He's looking for bulbs that don't burn out every few months.

I've had them about a year/10k miles. They're on fairly often because of the autoheadlight.
That's part of the problem - Thanks to DRLs on Canadian vehicles, you're running them a LOT more than the average Yank would in a year of driving.

IME, every aftermarket halogen bulb that claims more brightness than the OEM bulbs does it at the expense of lifespan.

Suggestion: Go with OEM bulbs (not just the same generic bulb number, but the exact same bulb the factory installs), and then install brighter LED driving lights to supplement them. If you wire the driving lights to your high beam circuit, they'll only run when you really need them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, I don't have foglights in this truck. Brighter lights would be nice, but I do need better life span than a halogen. Maybe I'll try those GE nighthawks and if those burn out go back to OEM bulbs. I should probably get new lenses too, they are looking a little scratched and cloudy.

The truck I'm driving happens to be an American domestic one. It was imported in 2012. I don't think it has DRL's. Only the orange marker lights seem to come on automatically.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Are you running an aftermarket alternator?

Some of the "high performance" aftermarket stuff uses a higher voltage regulator setting.

The higher voltage helps improve the performance of high-power sound systems - but it's also hell on bulb lifespan.

ETA: "Normal" battery voltage seems to be around 13.3 volts (battery fully charged, headlights on, engine at idle).

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 2010 Nissan frontier and I'm running into issues with headight bulbs. I've only had the truck a year and after the OEM ones burnt out I replaced them with Napa Gold bulbs, but the damn things only lasted about 6 months, and frankly, weren't all that great for light anyways. I'm in Canada so my local Canadian Tire heavily stocks Sylvania bulbs in all the different Silverstar variations. From what Ive read, these bulbs produce good light, but are not very durable and have a short life expectancy. I've done a little looking, and it seems like LED are now the way to go for both longevity and brightness. I am strongly considering this, but was looking for others opinions. Is this an easy switch? Are there mods or conversions required? Any info is appreciated.
Whatever you do, don't put HIDs or LEDs into your stock headlamps, they will "look" brighter when you stand in front of your truck and stare at it (LOL) but don't work properly; any HID/LED in our OEM headlamps just scatters lights all over the place. This has been discussed/proven many times over already on this forum, yet for some reason people still do it. The only right/proper way to use HID/LED in our OEM headlamps is to do a projector retrofit to them first, which costs $$.

As far as what actually does work: I've had the same Philips Crystal Vision bulbs in my OEM headlamps since February... of 2015. THat's over 3 years so far, trouble-free. The Crystal Vision's IMO best option for halogen bulb for our stock headlamps. Sylvanias, what you heard was right - they are a tad brighter, but they don't last that long.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Brighter ≠ Better

This horse is a bloody pile of flesh&bones.

Also worth RE-noting that projector retrofits are not legal in all 50 states and are for off-road use only. The caveat is if your state does not perform vehicle inspections &/or does not use a fine-toothed comb when doing so. Ask around here or check your state laws.

OR, do like raine did and install some decent driving lights (Rigid) in place of the foglights. I have a good mind to do this as well...though I don't need to drive much at night or this would already have been done.

$0.02 // YMMV

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What was that shift_RUSH? >:D

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
These Spyder headlights sucked with halogens but with HID and LED Fogs my truck has great vis at night. That sucks that you don't have fog lights OP, there's a thread to install factory fogs then get the LED bulbs. I swear that gave me so much light at night.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/diy-led-h11-fog-light-installation-lifetime-led-brand-117921/

Good luck
is there a link to buy these bulbs ? I searched that thread and can't find it, or too tired lol

Also, if they are about 100 bucks, whats the difference between those and the normal 25.00 dollar ones I can get on amazon?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
is there a link to buy these bulbs ? I searched that thread and can't find it, or too tired lol

Also, if they are about 100 bucks, whats the difference between those and the normal 25.00 dollar ones I can get on amazon?

Thanks
OLM HP Gen 2 Passive Cooling LED Fog Lights Bulbs - 2015+ WRX / 2015+ STI / 2014+ Forester / 2016+ Crosstrek (SRF) - Fog Lights - Lighting - 15+ STI Sorry those are discontinued also now :(

These are their new ones

http://www.subispeed.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/7907#.WqZmZmrwbIU

I originally got this for the STI that's why I get them from subispeed, you might find them cheaper somewhere else.

As far as difference between $100 ones and $25 ones IDK, I've always been on the mind set you get what you pay for, so I never go cheap unless I know it's a quality product.

Good luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
Simple solution to the problem...don't drive at night!!! LOL

Actually I am fairly happy with the OEM lights, but then I had Chrysler LH cars in the 90's and would have got more light out of a D cell flashlight!!! :)

·
Registered
348 Posts

Thanks
I've been pretty happy with the SLF bulbs by Diode Dynamics. I think they are about $100 as well. Not sure if the cheapy LEDs on amazon would provide as good of a cut off (as good as it gets with reflectors anyway)

Output with SLF fogs only

cutoff on garage

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Is that garage pic fogs only? If not, can we get a pic w/ headlights blocked off?
Thanks, mon.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts