Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Got a question if i install headers on my 02 with a 6 cyl.
will my truck still be able to pass emmissions,we have to have emmissions testing yearly in GA.
this is a tough question...i mean...yes, it'll pass if you take it to the "right" inspection station.

do keep in mind...your truck (in NC at least) must maintain the same # of catalytic converters as it came with stock. with the headers...you'll have to get creative to still use the stockers or you could use some smaller high flow performance ones. i am pretty sure the headers for the VG make it nearly impossible to fit the primary cats back in the vehicle. thus....headers and cats might make it neccesary for an entire custom exhaust set up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm here in NC. I think now all they do now is an OBD check and visual inspection. Some places may not even really look at the number of cats. They mainly look at lights, wipers and brakes.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I agree with houdini, except for them being concerned with the # of kitties. I think you could get away with eliminating the 2nd cats. There are not too many places going to know how many cats a car has. They are looking for emissions mostly and that means if the computer says you have something wrong you better fix it.

You will need to be creative as nothing is impossible. However, a loud exhaust is a DEAD give away to an inspector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what im looking at doing, replacing the first set with high flow cats and going to see if i can lose the 2nd set.i have access to a scanner so ill see what if any codes come up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
well the headers will take place of the stock ex manifolds as well as the first set of cats so youd be replacing the 2nd set if you wanted to do that. thats with the ac headers at least which are the only ones in existence that i know of.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I have the ac headers on my truck don't waste you money and time with them, I have a wicked header tick that I can not get rid of to save my life. But to answer your question you can get a the o2 simulators that suppose to fool the computer and not throw a CEL code; will it pass emissions I do not have any idea for that I do not have to deal with that

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I think just the fact that they would be newer than the ones on your truck.

Does everyone get the ticking with AC Headers? Is there anyone else that makes headers for 1st gens?

·
Registered
475 Posts
slr (spencer low racing) used to make some high quality stuff for our frontys including headers but that little fabchise sort of dissipated one day and i havent heard of anything since then. i dont even know how you would go about contacting him about the possibility of him making something. so the best bet would be to design them youself, pay someone out the a$$ to mandrel bend some symmetrical tubing and tig weld all that crap thats involved. im hopefully gonna design a pair over the summer, with the aid of AutoCAD and Rhino3d, if i can get some good measurements out of my truck and then who knows i may make em.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
slr (spencer low racing) used to make some high quality stuff for our frontys including headers but that little fabchise sort of dissipated one day and i havent heard of anything since then. i dont even know how you would go about contacting him about the possibility of him making something. so the best bet would be to design them youself, pay someone out the a$$ to mandrel bend some symmetrical tubing and tig weld all that crap thats involved. im hopefully gonna design a pair over the summer, with the aid of AutoCAD and Rhino3d, if i can get some good measurements out of my truck and then who knows i may make em.
im down to design some headers with you... Ill be drawing my firewall in CAD soon

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
i've had the SLR headers and AC headers both in front of me and without a doubt, the AC ones were a nicer setup. yes, with headers you are gonna get more sound and possibly a tick (make sure everything is bolted up tight), but don't screw yourself by skipping catalytic converters. i have had this looked up in "the book" and my truck failed inspection because of a 2nd cat delete. run the short high flow cats. they are about 8" long and you can fit them in wiht little trouble. magnaflow makes some nice ones. just get the spun ones.

Pic - http://www.performance-curve.com/ProductImages/images/canmex/Thunderbolt1.jpg

again, just depends on what you are willing to pay for an inspection and/or who you take the truck to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.