Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Frontier Pro4X that I have been making several modifications to already. There are not a lot unless you want to go with forced induction. I have done it all with the exception of the headers. All of the performance shops are recommending that this is the next step for me. I have seen all of the posts saying that its not worth it but if this is all that is left I am thinking its time to step up and get this done. Lots of questions with regards to manufacturers and installations.
Professional shops are all recommending JBA but the posts here lean towards Doug Thorley. Installation is a pain, I get that but it seems only the passenger side is the real bear. So the questions are : JBA vs Thorley and any suggestions of how to do the passenger side and keep the heat shield.

Here is what I have done performance wise.
K&N CAI
XTP Spacer
Airraid Spacer
Stillen underdrive crank pulley
MBRP Catback exhaust.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I bought the Doug Thorleys because they are made in the USA. Fitment was perfect. The install is time consuming. The first/ driver side I did took about 5-6 hrs and the second/passenger side only took 4hrs. I kept with the short tube headers to stay emissions legal. Long tube will yield a little more power than the short tubes. Either way you will not be able to reuse the heat shields. I have been running headers with no heat shields and have not experienced any problems. If you decide to tackle this job yourself send me a pm I will tell you what worked for me and what tools I used. Then after you should look into getting your truck dyno tuned using uprev. Just do not expect some crazy hp increase from the mods you have installed.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If my truck wasn’t my daily driver I would consider getting my throttle body bored a little bigger. A company called maxbore does this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on the headers! This is just what I was looking for. I'm surprised that you are running without the heat shields because there is a lot of stuff all around the headers but it does solve a really big issue if they have to be cut out. I figure that each mod is worth 8hp approx and will take the truck back to the shop to update my UPREV set up afterwards. Cant make any mods these days without adjusting the computer. Can you confirm the part number for the headers you got; is it THY-470-C? Your other idea of boring the TB is very interesting. Why would you not do this to your daily driver? Gas mileage?
This is great info!. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Thanks for the info on the headers! This is just what I was looking for. I'm surprised that you are running without the heat shields because there is a lot of stuff all around the headers but it does solve a really big issue if they have to be cut out. I figure that each mod is worth 8hp approx and will take the truck back to the shop to update my UPREV set up afterwards. Cant make any mods these days without adjusting the computer. Can you confirm the part number for the headers you got; is it THY-470-C? Your other idea of boring the TB is very interesting. Why would you not do this to your daily driver? Gas mileage?
This is great info!. Thanks very much.
Truck would be out of service for a week. Since I would ha e to mail the throttle body to the guy. I would like to get it done.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would do obx over jba's and dt long tubes over obx's.
If your just looking for more power and don't mind the ses light dt long tubes are the way to go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you about the truck being down for a week. For me it would be a month. Shipping to the US from Canada is very slow. I wonder though if picking up a duplicate part, either used or new may be the way to go and reduce downtime.
I am certainly going to do this over the winter when the truck is in storage. Thanks again for a great idea!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Obx are junk
Why do you say that? Did you actually buy obx Frontier headers and have problems? I ordered jba's and returned them, hole in the weld. Ended up with obx and they were much higher quality.
304 stainless obx vs mild steel jba, obx is a nismo r tune clone and can usually be found cheaper than jba.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Why do you say that? Did you actually buy obx Frontier headers and have problems? I ordered jba's and returned them, hole in the weld. Ended up with obx and they were much higher quality.
304 stainless obx vs mild steel jba, obx is a nismo r tune clone and can usually be found cheaper than jba.
was thinking of the obx knock offs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I like mine. I've had them on about 6 years no issues

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You don't need the heat shields with decent headers that are coated. The pipes on the Doug Thorley's are much thicker that those on the VQ40DE's manifolds, which are technically headers in their own right. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference between the factory manifolds and the DT headers as far as performance, although I didn't dyno it. I can say the same for the DT mid-pipes, replacing the main muffler with a Magnaflow 12580 and installing an aFe Momentum GT CAI. The only things that felt like they made a difference on my 06 Pathfinder was the XTP plenum spacer and the Superchips Flashpaq tuner. And after all that all I gain was about a half-second on my 1/4-mile time and and a 0.3 seconds on the 0-60 time according to the tuner. Most of the bolt-ons aren't very practical when it comes to cost vs daily driver performance, although it will make it sound louder!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I only felt a difference with the LTs and IMS in the low end and did not feel anything with any other bolt on until the uprev 93 oct. Dyno tune.

Reactions: invasion08
1 - 13 of 13 Posts