Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are headers worth the investment. If so, any recommendations on brands? I already have the engine stripped down working on a blown head gasket, so now would be the time to do it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Jba or Doug thorley. DT make a short and a long tube. The log tubes remove the primary cats, so unless you have uprev, you'll throw codes.
I'd stick with jba or DT short tube headers.
There was a set of nismo headers on here a couple weeks ago. Look through the classifieds to see if they are still there. He's located in SC.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Do the Shorty headers mate up with the stock exhaust?
I also heard you should get it tuned with Urev to take full advantage.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes, they do. They mount directly to the block and to the primary cats.

Yes, uprev will give you the tuning ability and take full advantage of the new power. You probably won't gain or feel much from just slapping them on. More sound will be heard, but the butt dyno will be let down I believe.

Uprev is your best option after install.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Thanks for the info.They won't ship to California,though.I am in no rush.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
UpRev is not going to able to block emission codes. EPA is starting to crack down on this.

·
Registered
808 Posts
With short tube headers you shouldn't get any codes. It leaves all the cats and o2 sensors in working order.

Not everyone has to do emission testing. I live outside Atlanta, and in my county we don't do emissions. All the surrounding counties do though

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
My truck can't get smoged anyway.Not legally anyway. The JBA is legal here.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Do the Shorty headers mate up with the stock exhaust?
I also heard you should get it tuned with Urev to take full advantage.
Yes they do. I have JBA and the only thing that was a problem, was I think I had to use some of my own bolts because one or more of the studs stayed on in the stock manifolds. The real PIA of the job is the heat shields lol

I did notice a drop in torque down low, but I already had other mods at the time. Had I added the headers before the IMS or Superchips programmer, I may have only noticed the increase just by itself. Very good upper range power (70-90mph+) on the highway.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only CARB legal shorties are the JBA and Nismo units, DT had some issues with that IIRC.
Yes, the shorties are direct bolt in replacements for the stock manifolds.
Yes, the heat shields are the worst part of the job so just realize they won't survive the process and cut them out from the start.
And yes, totally worth it just for the sound and the extra breathing at the mid-top of the RPM range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts