Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm confused!

I have seen probably 5 or 6 different kits online, and they all look different from each other. Anything from a simple trim ring (Scosche NN1681B) to more complex kits that appear to include mount brackets instead of reusing the stock metal brackets.

Manufacturers include Scosche, Metra, and American International. I've seen three from Metra alone, two of them are models 99-7619 and 99-7624. The 7624 looks to be the same as the 7619, but includes several more parts to fit more vehicles than just the Frontier alone, so I get that (I'm not new to HU install, just new to it in a Frontier). Then I saw a third Metra branded one on the carid site that says it also fits a 2014 model, but they didn't give a model number for it, and it doesn't look right based on videos I've watched of dash disassembly in a 2014 Frontier. It looks like the ones that should work with earlier truck models. I saw a video showing removal of the stereo in a 2014 model and the head unit comes off with the removal of the large front dash panel. In earlier trucks, it remained in place after the panel was taken off, and had to be removed separately. That's why I believe that info was wrong. Also, other trusted sites like Crutchfield show that certain kits won't fit my truck even though the manufacturer site says it will. The American International kit is the example here. Kit model NDK780.

So, basically, various sites say some kits will fit my truck, a 2014 model, and others say they will not. I've read good and bad about the Metra kits so I don't really know which one to get. I still haven't decided on single DIN or double DIN for a deck yet, either, and I was sort of looking at the kits to help make that decision, based on the final appearance once installed. Sigh.....what to do, what to do.....

Here are some of the kits I am looking at:

Scosche NN1681B
Metra 99-7619
Metra 99-7624
American International NDK780

I did figure out that some kits are NOT what I need, such as the Scosche NN1661B, despite how similar to my dash that it looks. My climate controls are in a separate panel from the HU, but this kit looks as though it is one large panel for all of it. It was interesting to me, and I thought it might clean up the dash look and eliminate a separation between that panel and the HU itself, but the video showing disassembly of my truck's dash showed me that the climate control panel is not separate from the large front panel containing the AC vents. It's one solid piece, as far as I could see, with the climate controls and a separate HU mounted into it.

I don't want to be dramatic (maybe too late?) and this post is getting long, but basically, I want a kit that will be attractive and not look "add on" as can be. I know a double DIN unit would look the best as far as stock appearance, but I can sure get a whole lotta deck now for $100 in a single DIN unit. Years back, I had a $200 deck that wasn't half of what these are today, so I want to consider that as well. I guess it's going to come down to the kit and how cheesy it does or doesn't look. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I think I have a Scosche one (it's been years since I put that in) and it's just fine. Looks just like the factory plastic, and it has held up for 5 years now with no complaints.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have a Scosche one (it's been years since I put that in) and it's just fine. Looks just like the factory plastic, and it has held up for 5 years now with no complaints.
5 years (at least a 2012 or older truck) most likely means you have the dash kit that I ruled out as fitting my truck, the long one with the climate control panel integrated into it below the HU. Correct?

I'm wondering which kit I actually need in a 2014 model, as well as which one has the best fit and durability. I know the Metra kits work because others on this site have used them. I've just read were some weren't happy and looked for another.

I suppose I may just have to choose a HU that I like and maybe fabricate something. One good thing is, the stock mount brackets are what holds the deck in place. All I really need to do is fill gaps for cosmetic purposed, so it may not be all that hard to do in case I don't find a kit to my liking.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
From what I've seen with the Metra ones there's two part numbers for a black or grey console. According to Crutchfield, the third number looks like its just a trim piece whereas the other two replace the entire fascia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts