Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I drove my 2017 Frontier at night where there were no street lights, I thought the high beams were not very good. After driving to Washington state and back, I know that they are not very good. My 2004 Titan that I traded in had better lights and had the bulbs that came in it when I bought it in 2004.
Has anyone replaced theirs for brighter bulbs, and which bulbs are best?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
There's a ton of threads on upgrading bulbs... from Philips (brighter and whiter than stock) to Silverstar (much brighter than Philips but don't last as long) to HID/LED swaps (not good in reality) to full projector conversions (best way if you have the time/money).

Personally I wouldn't recommend HID/LED without a projector retrofit. You will see everyone with HID/LED bulb drop-ins say, "oh yeah my headlamps are super bright now, it's better than halogen" but they don't say anything about if all that light is actually focused where it needs to be (which I think is what you're looking for, right?)... all that HID/LED light is scattered and not focused because no matter what you do, the OEM headlamp is made for halogen bulbs, not HID/LED. Unless they do a projector retrofit, they're just imagining "improvement" because they dropped $$ on an "upgrade".

The one thing you might want to try is to park a few feet away from a wall at night, turn your headlamps on, then adjust them upward about 0.5 to 1.5 turns on the adjustment screw behind the headlamp, the 2nd gen. Frontiers are notorious for having the headlamps aimed a little low from the factory (to compensate for when you have heavy cargo in the bed)

·
Registered
235 Posts
There's a ton of threads on upgrading bulbs... from Philips (brighter and whiter than stock) to Silverstar (much brighter than Philips but don't last as long) to HID/LED swaps (not good in reality) to full projector conversions (best way if you have the time/money).

Personally I wouldn't recommend HID/LED without a projector retrofit. You will see everyone with HID/LED bulb drop-ins say, "oh yeah my headlamps are super bright now, it's better than halogen" but they don't say anything about if all that light is actually focused where it needs to be (which I think is what you're looking for, right?)... all that HID/LED light is scattered and not focused because no matter what you do, the OEM headlamp is made for halogen bulbs, not HID/LED. Unless they do a projector retrofit, they're just imagining "improvement" because they dropped $$ on an "upgrade".

The one thing you might want to try is to park a few feet away from a wall at night, turn your headlamps on, then adjust them upward about 0.5 to 1.5 turns on the adjustment screw behind the headlamp, the 2nd gen. Frontiers are notorious for having the headlamps aimed a little low from the factory (to compensate for when you have heavy cargo in the bed)
Echoing this sentiment, I've had drop in HID kits in previous vehicles and the light output is wicked bright, about five feet from the bumper then it falls off into oblivion, which is why a lot of people say they're better, but it's actually far worse for obvious reasons. If you're only looking the road right in front of you, my sympathy will be limited when you smash your truck.

I've had good success with Vision X bulbs, they're Hella bulbs in different packaging so they're cheaper. Couple that with adjusting your lights up about 1.5 turns will get you decent light output, but it still leaves something to be desired. I'm eventually gonna retrofit mine, but I have other priorities and Morimoto is expensive for us Canucks right now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dropped a set of Silverstar zXe bulbs in my 2006 frontier, and the light output went from non existent to...still basically non existent. The improvement was not measurable.
I noticed however that my headlamp assemblies are cloudy, which must be causing most of the problem. I thought of getting them polished but it looks like the clouds/fog is on the interior of the light. It also seems like a common problem, could it be the same for your housings? For a 2017 I would think not.
I looked up cheap ebay projector headlight assemblies, but was steered away from them due to bad reviews. I also know what its like to just drop HID's in a halogen housing and understand that's not the best of ideas. The 2017 might/should have a different headlight assembly than mine so much of the research I did may not apply but for me it seems a projector retrofit is the only way to get positive usable light output.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Change bulb to Silverstar, PIAA, etc. = Better than stock bulb.
$50-$80 (Depends what brand)

HID KIT = Major improvement from stock bulbs. But, light output scatter all over the place, blinding oncoming traffic and traffic in front of you. Also, chance of getting pulled over by the Cops.
$50-$150 (Depends what brand)

Retrofit = High improvement, wide light output, does not blind incoming traffic as well as ongoing traffic
$200-$300 (Do it yourself)
$400-$1500 (Company do it for you)

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I'll piggy back onto your thread, same here. Not a fan of the light output. I was looking at LED bulbs. I know some scatter the light, and others focus it more like a standard bulb.
The bulb doesn't focus the light, it's the headlamp that focuses the light. Those LED brands that claim something like "ours works because our LEDs are in the same position as halogen" are wrong and misleading, if you want me to really explain it I will LOL

Change bulb to Silverstar, PIAA, etc. = Better than stock bulb.
$50-$80 (Depends what brand)

HID KIT = Major improvement from stock bulbs. But, light output scatter all over the place, blinding oncoming traffic and traffic in front of you. Also, chance of getting pulled over by the Cops.
$50-$150 (Depends what brand)

Retrofit = High improvement, wide light output, does not blind incoming traffic as well as ongoing traffic
$200-$300 (Do it yourself)
$400-$1500 (Company do it for you)
Wait - so how is scattered light output, blinding onciming traffic, and a chance of getting pulled over a "major" improvement? Hahaha

·
Registered
58 Posts
The bulb doesn't focus the light, it's the headlamp that focuses the light. Those LED brands that claim something like "ours works because our LEDs are in the same position as halogen" are wrong and misleading, if you want me to really explain it I will LOL

Wait - so how is scattered light output, blinding onciming traffic, and a chance of getting pulled over a "major" improvement? Hahaha
All car/truck headlight housings were design to work with the OEM bulb to put light output on the road. If you put in a LED bulb or HID bulb, it is a lot brighter than OEM but the light output is scatter all over the place since the headlight housing wasn't meant to work with the LED and HID bulb. Basically, both headlight housing and bulb have to work together.

Changing the OEM to LED or HID is a major improvement. Yes because it's brighter than OEM. But, like i said, blinds people and chances of getting pulled over is high.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
All car/truck headlight housings were design to work with the OEM bulb to put light output on the road. If you put in a LED bulb or HID bulb, it is a lot brighter than OEM but the light output is scatter all over the place since the headlight housing wasn't meant to work with the LED and HID bulb. Basically, both headlight housing and bulb have to work together.

Changing the OEM to LED or HID is a major improvement. Yes because it's brighter than OEM. But, like i said, blinds people and chances of getting pulled over is high.
...did you even bother reading the previous posts in this thread? Or just replied to the OP?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
The first time I drove my 2017 Frontier at night where there were no street lights, I thought the high beams were not very good. After driving to Washington state and back, I know that they are not very good. My 2004 Titan that I traded in had better lights and had the bulbs that came in it when I bought it in 2004.
Has anyone replaced theirs for brighter bulbs, and which bulbs are best?
I'll piggy back onto your thread, same here. Not a fan of the light output. I was looking at LED bulbs. I know some scatter the light, and others focus it more like a standard bulb.

I was looking at these - Outlaw Lights LED Headlight Kit | 2003-2015 Nissan Frontier Low/High Beams | 9007 | Dale's Super Store
I picked up a set of Hella High Performance bulbs from RockAuto. Much better light output. RA has alot of options. When looking for bulbs I use 2012 as model year. Sometimes the later years don't list everything out.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
...nevermind.

To OP: Suggesting that HID/LED inside a non-projector OEM halogen headlamp housing is an "improvement" because it's brighter is the same as saying to ditch your AA flashlight and light a road flare in front of your face.

And just to make a suggestion, I use Philips CrystalVision Ultra. The zXe's are brighter than the Philips but never seem to last. I've had my Philips bulbs in for over 2 years now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a pair of Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9007 lights. They are an improvement over my stock lights, but still not as good as I would like.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I still learned something from it. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
My recommendation is to get an eye exam. I know the headlights are not the best, but I never had a problem with not being able to see in the night.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow, old zombie post...will not die! Look for the thread "I got to admit I was wrong about LED headlamp bulbs"

That thread will get you in the right direction. The headlights in the OEM Frontier are abysmal....worse even. They should be illegal. That is how bad they are.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Yep, LED headlight technology has changed bigly since this thread was started. Some of the info really isn't valid anymore.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Most of the one post is correct. Light fixtures that are stock are not well suited to LED or some HID lights. It doesn't mean they won't work, just that there is a lot of wasted light. Better choices exist, but not in stock vehicles.

LED lights are the wave of the future, the only flaw is the overall cost right now. You can see some things have come down in price. Still a little rich for this poor person.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts