Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was going to change my exhaust manifolds today, I noticed white smoke and water dripping from the tailpipe. I automatically thought head gasket. Seems it pushes more smoke out under acceleration when the engine is warmed up. Not a drop or any smoke if started in the middle of the day. I checked under the oil cap and there is no residue. There are no bubbles coming from the rad, the reservoir is still at the same level when I last filled about a month or two ago. I do have rough idle , but also have the p0440 Evap leak too. Could a cracked exhaust manifold allow air in and create condensation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Is there a sweet smell to your exhaust?

Water is a natural byproduct of fuel combustion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really . Would the Evap and exhaust leak be making the engine use more gas and as a result
More water. I mean it's a lot of water and smoke especially in the cold mornings, seems way more than normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I do a compression test do I need to take out the number 6 spark plug also. It's such a pain.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Water is a by-product of an efficiently running engine. Condensation will build up in the exhaust, especially in cold weather, regardless of whether there is a leak at the manifold or anywhere else; that is why Nissan puts a hole in the bottom of the back of the muffler...so the water can drain out of it rather than have it sit and rust the muffler out. If it eventually burns off and doesn't have a sweet smell to it, I would say it's normal and not a blown head gasket issue. And, "yes," you need to remove the #6 plug if you want to do a compression test properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool thanks guys. I just got done driving it and now there is no water or smoke after. 20 min drive.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Water is a by-product of an efficiently running engine. Condensation will build up in the exhaust, especially in cold weather, regardless of whether there is a leak at the manifold or anywhere else; that is why Nissan puts a hole in the bottom of the back of the muffler...so the water can drain out of it rather than have it sit and rust the muffler out. If it eventually burns off and doesn't have a sweet smell to it, I would say it's normal and not a blown head gasket issue.
Yes, this is typically just visible as condensation and out the tailpipe when the weather is colder.

And, "yes," you need to remove the #6 plug if you want to do a compression test properly.
Yes, you need to have all the plugs out to get a real reading. See above, not sure I'd jump into anything if that is only visible in the mornings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
...the reservoir is still at the same level when I last filled about a month or two ago...
If that was coolant in your pic's you'd be adding antifreeze every week or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts