Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After wheels,tires and lift, I've noticed my "panic" stops are lacking some Umphhh.

I decided to switch front pads to the Hawk LTSs that just came out for us.

_ Hawk(L) / Stock(R)

After bedding them in properly, I went for a zoomy zoom to test them out. At the 1st stop sign I was greeted with the GRrrrrrrr... sounds of my 32s straining wayyy sooner and with less pedal effort than before. Further down, I did a Two footed oh' Sh*t stomp at 45 mph. GRrrrrrr!!! Thuda Thuda Thuda etc. Dayum ! These things Grab! and STOP!
Might get the rear pads too :laugh:

I really can't vouch for them in towing situations. But I'm happy so far.

·
Registered
521 Posts
LOL...thanks for the review....wish they were out when i was shopping for pads

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Hopefully I won't need pads any time soon, 21,xxx and counting.
I'll keep these in mind, thanks for the review dude.
Hope they give you good service and last for ya.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much dust do they produce?
^If these are like the HPSs that I use... "Bearable".

These pads behave very much like HPSs. It'll take about 1/8 mile(three blocks) of rolling for them to "wake-up" 100%, after being parked for several hours. Not a big deal..

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hawks are done....

Thought I posted the milage in this thread; I guess it's been about 25-30K mi.

Put in some EBC yellows I got from a vendor/promo a while back.

^installed em' bedded them in on friday..
Intitial bite: Fantastic/tenacious.
Hot: see next post...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How did you bed them?
Instructions say like 300 miles of in town normal/light braking then 5-7 stops from 60 to 10. Let cool and repeat.
I have the Yellows on EBC USR and they are much better than the Hawk LTS.

Thought I'd look further into whats goin' on; EBC says...
".....We get lots of new customers calling in saying my brakes have faded and when they send a digital the pad is only touching on 70-80% of its surface area. Fade early in a pads life is almost a good thing. It is called GREEN fade and will disappear so if you suffer Green fade (you will notice this by smell), you are on the right path and this is not a negative."

I'll save final judgement for a bit longer then.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
1. How to bed in your new brakes
Drive your vehicle steadily within the first 300-400 miles of road use only using the brakes violently in case of emergency. During this time use the brakes lightly and intermittently to achieve a matching between the pad and rotor which we call break in or bed in.
The speed with which perfect brake in will have occurred depends on how often the brakes are used. If you drive on a freeway or motorway and do not use your brakes for miles at a time, break in periods will be much longer. Using the brakes with caution during their early life will extend their wear life and greatly reduce the chances of rotor vibration or “shimmying” as it is known in the States. During the bed in time the pads will only contact the disc on a limited area until tiny irregularities in machining or misalignment of the pads against the rotor have been removed. You can easily see how far you have progressed with bedding in your new brakes by looking through the wheel spokes and evaluating pad contact. The rotor should look shiny and smooth across its surfaces from outside to inside in all areas of the rotor. If you have purchased EBC gold zinc or black zinc coated sport slotted rotors, all of these coatings should have been visibly removed across the entire braking area of the rotor. Break in times on European vehicles is usually considerably longer than on Asian or US built vehicles because of the design of the brake system. European vehicles use a “taller” brake pad and may tend to contact on the outer edges of the rotor first and gradually contact more towards the centre of the axle over the first few hundred miles. After you are confident that the pads and discs are perfectly mated, use the brakes on a quiet and safe road 5-6 times at medium pressure bringing the car from 60mph to 10mph. Drive the vehicle for a few miles to allow the brakes to cool and repeat this procedure. During this final break in a brake odour will almost certainly appear and this is perfectly normal. This is known as green fade where the surface resins within the pad finally cure and burn off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts