Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed an increased steering effort the day I took her home. After four months it got to be almost dangerous, had to be forceful to make a turn.
Left it with my local service dept. two weeks ago. I received a call from the service guy on the second day. He stated that the steering column was binding and would have to order a new one. He called the next day to inform me the steering columns are on BACKORDER, and no build date available. Anyone had this prob? How long should I give them to repair or replace? It has been two weeks and they cannot even tell me when the columns will be manufactured. Thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have heard of someone having a similar problem. The column will have to be replaced. I dont know how long you would have to wait, alot of parts for the frontier is on a national backorder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Me too.

Had my 06 Frontier KC XE for three weeks. I was really enjoying my truck. One morning I pulled out of my driveway to go to post office and my steering column just made a pop noise. Not normal I thought.

A little more investigation and I found I could pull the steering wheel out and push it back in about 1/2 inch or so and when it was out---I had lot's of play left and right.

To my local dealer I went. That was 3 weeks ago. They confirmed that the steering column was defective and ordered a new steering wheel and column right away.
I've been on hold since then as the column is on national backorder with no ETA given.

I've already informed Nissan North America that according to North Carolina lemon law--- a vehicle that is undriveable and not repaired for 20 business days or more in a 12 month period qualifies it as a lemon (it is truly part of the NC lemon law). On May 12 it will be 20 business days that my brand new truck will be out of service with no ETA on when it will be fixed. I've owned this truck for 6 weeks and 3 weeks of that time it has sat at my local Nissan Dealers waiting on this part.

Sigh--I hate this for you--but--I've been scanning these Frontier forums looking to see if anyone else had a problem like this--and now I know someone else does. I'll be calling the BBB Autoline next Friday to start mediation or arbitration if Nissan has not resolved this problem or at least given me an ETA of this part that is reasonable.

Then the question will be do I want a refund or risk another lemon from Nissan?

Sorry to hear about your problem but you are not alone.

Slats

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Thats what mine did today when i got home.I pulled up the drive way and turn it sharp to the right and it popped twice,then i backed up turning the wheel back the otherway and it popped twice again.I do this every day when i get home,i back in.My truck is 2 1/2 months old with roughly 3,000 miles on it.I also get a popping sound on the driver side floor area when driving on rough roads and when you accelerate to take off and when you hit the brake.I done checked the seat bolts,there tight.You can rock in the seat and its not in the tracks.I think its a loose body or frame mounting bolt.I guess its time to see the dealer and get my steering column ordered and get my recall done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well--doesn't three start to constitute a crowd!

I forgot to mention that right after the popping noise I noticed that I was now having increased steering force also at times. It definitely did not feel right at all and it was not all the time. Of course I only drove it a few miles after I noticed all the play in the wheel as it's only a few miles to my local dealer.

Not sure what else any of us can do other than wait patiently (while making payments on an undriveable vehicle) or to start pursuing satisfaction through our local state's lemon laws. What is unsettling is the loss of faith in this model truck even if they replace the steering column in the next couple (six?) months--will it fail again later on down the road and leave me without my business vehicle again for weeks?

You can call 1-800-NISSAN1 also and speak to a customer service rep. and get a file opened on your vehicle. I'm documenting everything now. Letter's have been sent to Nissan North America (use the address in your warranty booklet), my finance company, and my dealer with pictures of the vehicle's current status and a copy of NC's lemon law attached. In order to be able to enact any lemon law action--you have to request it in writing to Nissan. The sooner the better. Gives them time to respond and fix the problem and get's it all documented. I also write down when and who I have spoken to on the phone. Unfortunately, the burden falls on us to write all these letters and make all these phone calls. Just what I was looking forward too when I bought my brand new truck-ugh!

Sorry you are also having this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the samething lots of play left to right. I took it in they said backorder and wouldn't be till mid-june. I came on here go some reply's called 800-nissan 2 days later i got my truck back all done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I went by the dealership yesterday to pick up a Titan for a loaner. The service rep said they expected the steering column Monday. He did state that his regional rep had mentioned that Nissan had been seeing a problem with the steering columns.
You guys are experiencing exactly the same thing I did. Felt like the steering wheel was going to come OFF the column. I was starting to wonder how many weeks Nissan was allowed to keep the vehicle. I need to brush up Georgias lemon law.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad to hear you've got a loaner vehicle and an estimate of Monday for the part to come in.

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been offered a loaner vehicle. I was asked by the service rep at 800-NISSAN1 if I had another vehicle to drive. I don't like to be dishonest--so I told them that I did--but--seems to me--that somehow that is irrelevant. They should be starting to bend over slightly backwards to satisfy their customer by offering a loaner vehicle regardless. But--alas--I'll probably have to get firm and require one soon.
I bought this little truck to drive the long hauls for my job/business and save my other vehicle from getting any more mileage built up on it.

I'm supposed to be receiving a call tomorrow from Nissan or the parts manager at my local Nissan dealer about an ETA on this part. Maybe there will be some good news. If not--well--who knows.

Glad it looks like it might be soon for you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yikes...doesn't sound good...maybe they'll issue a recall, and I can take it in to get that and the gas cap tether redone...I don't wanna lose my truck for a day because of the gas cap lol.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
If you tell them that there looking at a law suit they might do something.I can't leave mine since i have nothing else to drive.If it causes me to get in an accident then its on them for not downing the truck and giving a loaner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hopefully-they will at least ask you if you have another vehicle to drive and you can honestly tell them no. The least they can do at that point is give you a loaner or pay for your car rental.

I spent 20 years working for a big retailer and customer service was something that was stressed and worked on all the time. I'm just really surprised that Nissan seems to me to be so detached from putting themselves in their customer's shoes. I'm sure it's not that way everywhere with them--but I sure feel like I've been sort of hung out to dry on this.

Not once have I heard--"we are so sorry for this and we realize how inconvenient this is for you and we're working on resolving this problem as hard as we can and as soon as we can. And by the way--we feel it's our responsbility to give you a loaner vehicle until we fix your truck". Nothing like this at all has ever been said or expressed. I've gotten some sympathetic looks from the parts people at this dealership and some token "patient listenening"from the customer service people--but that's about it.

Enough of my whining--I'm just really surprised that's all. Years ago I bought Honda's-always felt like they tried to be customer service oriented--maybe this is why the wealthy buy Lexus' and Mercedes? I just wanted an economical reliable pickup--sigh.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Friday I was called by Nissan and told specifically that on Monday (yesterday) I would receive a phone call from either my district tech rep or the parts manager at my local dealer to tell me the ETA of this steering column. Neither call was made. I called the 800NISSAN1 number though on Monday and after having to get firm finally got an ETA of May 12 (Friday).

Confirmed this today (Tuesday) with the parts manager at my local dealer. We'll see if this happens as he warned me that it could take till next Wednesday or two or three more business days past the ETA I was given.

I sure hope it comes soon and fixes this problem. I'm skeptical also about this being a new and improved steering column. Friday the 12th was the 20 business day limit that NC's lemon law allows. It will be exactly 4 weeks since the truck was dropped at the dealer but only 20 business days.

I wonder if the original poster of this thread has gotten his truck fixed yet?

·
Registered
733 Posts
WOW! it looks like that this is a major issue for the new trucks...

I just took mine in and they said they have to replace the steering column on my 2006 as well.
This is a bad first impression for a first time Nissan buyer.
Makes me think I should have gone with the Tacoma.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know how you feel. Sorry to hear you have the problem also.

Hope this all gets worked out soon by Nissan. Doubt there will be any open admission to any problem unless they are forced by large numbers of customers to make it public.

I don't blame them in some ways. Cause it looks really bad on them.

A loose steering wheel that comes off on TV or in the movies is funny--but not in real life. I know that none that have been mentioned in this forum have reached that point--and no one has reported having an accident yet--but--sheesh--not a comfortable, warm and fuzzy feeling!

Good luck--I'll let you know what happens with mine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
yeah that's what concerned me was the possibility of the steering coming off!!

I called my dealer here in Sunnyvale, CA and the representative told me that he ordered the steering column part and should see it at the latest, 3 days. So here's to crossing the fingers. Otherwise, Nissan just lost a new customer very quickly from a guy who grew up with Toyotas in the family.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the Fronty back today!!! Steering is normal. They did scratch up some of the plastic pieces, but have ordered new ones for replacement. Overall, I am happy.
I was provided a loaner truck and was kept very informed by my service guy.
The service person did state that Nissan sent an engineer to inspect the column.
Good luck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
dtsnfire19 said:
Got the Fronty back today!!! Steering is normal. They did scratch up some of the plastic pieces, but have ordered new ones for replacement. Overall, I am happy.
I was provided a loaner truck and was kept very informed by my service guy.
The service person did state that Nissan sent an engineer to inspect the column.
Good luck.
whew that is a relief, atleast Nissan North America is really doing something about this major problem.

I just got off the phone from the 1-800 # and the lady confirmed to me that it will be done.
I just need to check with the dealer I am takign my truck to for the service and just wait out when the replacement steering column ships in.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts