1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
wow props to them i guess for just discontinuing them for a sticky gas pedal.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
seems they have more issues, first the frames of the tacos now this next up the truth about the pruis

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seems they have more issues, first the frames of the tacos now this next up the truth about the pruis
Please inform me with your knowledge about the Prius. According to my accountant a hybrid is a bad economic decision unless you keep it for many years and by then you'll need new batteries and will be at even more of a deficit.

Clint

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmm. Definitely interesting. 8 models and 5 plants. Ouch. But, you can tell that that's good customer relations. Wonder how bad of a rap this will leave for Toyota?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hmm. Definitely interesting. 8 models and 5 plants. Ouch. But, you can tell that that's good customer relations. Wonder how bad of a rap this will leave for Toyota?
Financially it is worse than this:

What's more, Toyota's decision to stop sales of its most important vehicles comes as the automaker struggles through a sales slump. In November, the automaker said that it expected to lose at least $2.billion in the current fiscal year.

Who knows what kind of a hit they will take just from the bad press?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
its the environmental cost about the pruirs sure it saves gas but wastes diesel fuel. its carbon foot print for 5 years is bigger then a Humvee for 10 years

·
Registered
46 Posts
its the environmental cost about the pruirs sure it saves gas but wastes diesel fuel. its carbon foot print for 5 years is bigger then a Humvee for 10 years
I'm sure that your information is valid, but a larger carbon footprint than a HMMWV? That seems a little far fetched. And for my curiosity, how does it waste diesel?

But, I do wonder how the environmentalists are going to feel about those batteries when they go flat lol.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
wow, thats stepping up to the plate,nissan wont even extend timing chain warranty.
the difference is the gas sticking is a massive safety hazard where as the nissan timing chain is not. still a very bold move that probably has take alot of number crunching to justify as the best solution.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I think they were pretty much forced to do this freeze/recall.

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure that your information is valid, but a larger carbon footprint than a HMMWV? That seems a little far fetched. And for my curiosity, how does it waste diesel?

But, I do wonder how the environmentalists are going to feel about those batteries when they go flat lol.
I did hear that staement on the news recently.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think they were pretty much forced to do this freeze/recall.
This was when the "bean counters" made them do it. My cousin wrecked his Lexus and they replaced it and blamed it on the mats, how convenient. If it was so why did they replace the car?
This is bad for the economy as the employees and their vendors are both standing still too.
This also shows how you can't skate by on past reputation and need to always be on top of your game.
Honda has had a few recalls too. In the early seventies when Honda first brought the civics here, there was a problem with them and they made the corporate decision that it was economically to their advantage to CRUSH every one of the faulty (many) cars rather than to disassemble them and repair.
I sat with my Dad and watched this wide eyed as any 14 year old would.

Clint

·
Registered
637 Posts
Drive by wire?

We have an 08 Matrix, bought one of the last new 1st gen's as I had a feeling that the new ones were going to have issues.

My folks have an 08 Camry and my In-laws have an 09 Rav-4. I gave them both a call today.

Lets see... Nissan has timing chain issues, leaking radiators (tranny cooler), etc. Toyota has sludge problems, rusting frames, and out of control acceleration. Where does Honda screw up at? Mazda?

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know my 2005 Titan was drive by wire and imagine these second generation Frontiers are too. I still like mechanical things like throttles and clutch linkage cause I'm OLD SCHOOL.
Hope everyone he who has an affected Toyota is safe. If the car ever suddenly accelerates throw it in neutral and stop and then turn it off. If you blow the motor so, what better you're safe.

Clint

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
most vehicles are drive by wire now days, even the american car makers jumped on that technology a while back. it pretty much a standard thing no days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts