Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been smelling gear oil so I thought I would climb under the truck and check things out. My rear passenger side brake cover is soaked and the rear differential fluid is low. I've done the job before on my old Wrangler but don't think I want to put myself through that again. My question is if/when I pay someone to change the seal should I have the do both? I know on my Jeep I had to remove both axle shafts so it was just as well to replace both.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did both mine a while ago, it's possible to do just one. Your call. If you haven't done the axle vent mod I'd recommend it unless you want to keep replacing seals.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did both mine a while ago, it's possible to do just one. Your call. If you haven't done the axle vent mod I'd recommend it unless you want to keep replacing seals.
First I've heard of it, I will definitely look into that mod

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
If you have a 2005-10 model, you should read Nissan technical service bulletin NTB10-008. You can download it from here:

Nissanhelp.com Forums

·
Registered
254 Posts
Changing both would probably be good practice. Does the other side appear to be wet? Did you check out your axle breather? Does it appear to be plugged up? This is important to replace and or do the axle vent mod. Otherwise you are just going to have it happen again.

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
The bearings must be done to replace the seals and the parking shoes get oil soaked too.

Clint

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a 2005-10 model, you should read Nissan technical service bulletin NTB10-008. You can download it from here:

Nissanhelp.com Forums
Mine is a 2011

The bearings must be done to replace the seals and the parking shoes get oil soaked too.

Clint
That's not good, so seals bearings and brakes for both sides. The axle vent looks fine, the cap moves around freely. I don't take the truck off road so I'm not even sure the vent mod is necessary for me.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
My drive side seal started leaking about a year ago. I regularly check my vent to make sure it is not clogged. After seeing the leak I pull the stock vent and vented it with a hose. Bought all the parts to get ready to replace the seal. Look about a month later and the seal stopped leaking.

How can I get a copy of the NTB.

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
My truck never goes off road. I knew the passenger side was leaking but pulled the driver side apart just because I had over 100,000 miles on the truck was already disassembled, I was very surprised to see that the driver side was no good as well. My axle vent rotated freely but I changed it and put a new one in for $13 why not.

Clint

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I think it has something to do with the OEM vent design. Not only does my vent spin, the top moves up and down. I have even removed it and blew (or sucked) through it. Every indication seemed that it was working fine. But once I used a hose to vent my axles the seals stopped leaking. Maybe it was a coincidence. But I think the OEM vent causes seal issues.

Mine is a 2011

That's not good, so seals bearings and brakes for both sides. The axle vent looks fine, the cap moves around freely. I don't take the truck off road so I'm not even sure the vent mod is necessary for me.
All axles need to be vented. It is not an offroad thing. It is an expansion of gases and fluids thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just figured the factory vent was okay if you stay out of the mud. I may go buy the stuff tomorrow

·
Registered
520 Posts
Please be advised, many have done the vent mod and ended up with blown seals. Its a design issue, a plugged vent just seems to speed up the seals failure.

·
Registered
319 Posts
After replacing a leaking driver side, 10k miles later, my passenger side is still in good condition. No leaks. I say fix it when it's needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
My drive side seal started leaking about a year ago. I regularly check my vent to make sure it is not clogged. After seeing the leak I pull the stock vent and vented it with a hose. Bought all the parts to get ready to replace the seal. Look about a month later and the seal stopped leaking.

How can I get a copy of the NTB.
Just click on the link below and it will take you to NissanHelp.com's service bulletin section where you can download the link in .pdf format.

Nissanhelp.com Forums

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I vented the axle and thought that fixed the leak but every once in a while I get a whiff of gear oil coming from around the rear wheel. I'm looking on here as well as some part suplyers and it seems I'm coming up with different parts. Can anyone tell me if these are the right parts for my 2011 SV 4 door 6-speed V6 4x4

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET10-Bearing-Set/dp/B000BZ93HK

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissan-43252-7S200-Axle-Shaft/dp/B00BFE5JQK/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YAG6NZ7C0ZPDS72Z7PM9

and will I need anything else?

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I vented the axle and thought that fixed the leak but every once in a while I get a whiff of gear oil coming from around the rear wheel. I'm looking on here as well as some part suplyers and it seems I'm coming up with different parts. Can anyone tell me if these are the right parts for my 2011 SV 4 door 6-speed V6 4x4

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET10-Bearing-Set/dp/B000BZ93HK

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissan-43252-7S200-Axle-Shaft/dp/B00BFE5JQK/ref=pd_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YAG6NZ7C0ZPDS72Z7PM9

and will I need anything else?
Tools. You will need a slide hammer to pull the axle out.
And either a press with a bearing separator or a cut off tool for the spacer.
Seems like the right parts. You have the M226 axle right. I guess that is a given since I don't think the nissan axles leak.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tools. You will need a slide hammer to pull the axle out.
And either a press with a bearing separator or a cut off tool for the spacer.
Seems like the right parts. You have the M226 axle right. I guess that is a given since I don't think the nissan axles leak.
I think, my truck is an SV not a nismo/pro-4x but I think the 6-speed has the same axle, I'm not sure how to check though. I can get a slide hammer from auto-zone as suggested in the axle seal thread and have a grinding wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts