Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a bunch of fire wood processing this weekend. Split about 1 cord (slightly less) of pine and 1 of black oak. Then hauled almost a cord back home (mostly pine) from grass valley (2300') to Truckee (6200') over donner summit (7200').

I was calculating this morning and think I had about 1500 lbs in the bed and 1500 lbs in the trailer. I was trying to figure out how much tongue weight I had. Figure trailer is about 350 lbs empty, with a uniformly loaded bed.

I was a bit over loaded and felt it on the brakes. Other than that intake track rattle the truck pulled great.

Had my "D" load rated tires pumped to 55 PSI and my airbags to 95.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had 700 in the bed and 2300 on a trailer, load centered a bit forward of the axle, and you can definitely feel the push. I never felt like my brakes were inadequate, but i'm lookingarty a bigger trailer with brakes

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There was one incident where a car slowed to make a left turn off the road. Traffic/Speed limit at 55 mph. I was 4th car back, with a decent amount of space between the car in front of me. My truck took much longer than I anticipated to stop. Really had to stand on the pedal to make that semi emergency stop.

I have also slightly wrapped rotors. On the decent on SR20 to the valley right before I80, and the decent from Donner Summit into Truckee, I was in 3rd running 4 to 4.5K rpm. I would use my brakes firmly for 2-3 sec intervals to scrub speed. Allowing plenty of time in between for them to cool. Never had any fade.

Today I noticed that my slight rotor wrap seems to be gone. If you read about wrapped rotors, "experts" say that it is not really due to the rotors being warped, but uneven brake pad material deposited on the rotors. The "strong" braking must have cleared up alot of the unevenness.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts