Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a 2016 4wd SV CC in the best color, but have a question about the tailgate. I understand earlier models had a problem with weak hinges on the tailgate, but this was supposedly corrected somewhat on later models.

Mine has the 5ft bed, there is zero chance that once of my bikes will fit with the tailgate closed. The rear tire on one of them will be sitting solely on the tailgate, exceeding it's 200lb 'limit' by a few hundred pounds. I would like to install a wheel chock in the bed, but want it easily removable.

What do you think about building a platform that the wheel chock can mount to, it would also extend out to the end of the tailgate distributing some of the load? I would need to use thick plywood, maybe an inch think, at least a 3/4 inch hardwood. I would expect there to be a little flex in the plywood, but being spread evenly over the entire tailgate and the bed of the truck would reduce the load on the hinges, wouldn't it?

I would store the platform in the garage until needed.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You have nothing to worry about unless you are talking about a full bagger. If it's a Moto or sport bike then you don't need to worry. Keep in mind people load ATVs and heavier stuff anyways. As you load it more weight is on the tailgate when the ramps are on there. Probably 600lb with you and the bike. If it doesn't collapse under that weight, you'll be fine. Just a thought.

I used to haul my 2008 gsxr 600 in mine all the time to track days with just using the tail gate extender to keep things from flying out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something like this, but longer to extend out over the width of the tailgate. This photo is from a Tacoma (I think) but shows the general idea. I need to figure out how to make a quick release for the platform.

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
One of the bikes is around 900lbs dry weight.
Is it a cruiser? If so you'll probably ly bottom out the frame running it up ramps into the bed, which would be worse because of dropping potentially.

Personally for that big of a bike I'd get a small pull behind trailer. Or even better yet an enclosed if it's in your budget.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of the bikes is around 900lbs dry weight.
900 lbs!?!? Holy [email protected], is that thing made out of solid gold!!??

I used to have a VStar 1300 that weighed 700 lbs and I thought that was too excessive so I downgraded to the Bolt 950 which "only" weighs 500 lbs. When you said you had a bike I was imagining a dirt bike not a tank! I suggest riding it, not hauling it in your truck >:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have you considered tailgate supports? They hold up the extra weight, so the factory mounts don't break. You can search for them online. They're about 50 bucks or so.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you considered tailgate supports? They hold up the extra weight, so the factory mounts don't break. You can search for them online. They're about 50 bucks or so.
Yup. These things...

Fortunately, I copied their idea, spent about $15 to make my own using hardware from Home Depot. :D

Works perfectly for my quad and sport bike.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yup. These things...

Fortunately, I copied their idea, spent about $15 to make my own using hardware from Home Depot. :D

Works perfectly for my quad and sport bike.
Great idea! ::grin::

1 - 13 of 13 Posts