Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to haul a couple of road bikes in the back of my 07 short bed with utility tracks. I would prefer not to have to pull the front wheel. Anybody got a simple mod/add on/idea?
Tried searching and came up with allot of roof rack solutions . Too old for that!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Your only option is to built a bike rack that you would find infront of a store and mount that to your utili-trac. Then use a strap or two to ensure the bikes dont wonder around. You will thou have to leave your tailgate down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
and

your "only" other option (haha) is to build something like this:

Make your own Bike Rack

of course youd have to make the dividers beetween the wheels narrower etc etc..

or just lay em down on a blanket or heavy towel and another beetween the bikes, and then bunjee them down to the bed-floor. wont look as cool, esp to the "yuppie" spandex wearing, gel seat cover, carbon-fiber band aid wearing crowd. but hey, it works and the bikes are undamaged.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
I had a short bed Frontier prior to my current long bed one. I used a similar rack to this one and put the back wheel in the rack and turned the front wheel on all four bikes and closed the tailgate. Make sure the rear derailleur is on the largest sprocket so it doesn't contact the rack. Put a ratchet strap or two over the frames and handle bars and they stay put for however long the ride takes.
AutoSport Catalog - Truck Bed Bike Rack 800-953-0814

Clint

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
On vacation I saw a front part built out of 2x4's or something of the sort. Just a barrier to keep the wheels from turning and ran most of the width of the bed. Very easy and simple

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
dont lay them flat! that is terrible advise, one bump to your derailleur and your hanger is bent or broken, causing your shifting to be all sorts of wack. with the short bed i am not sure how you are going to fit bikes with the front wheels on, i just take mine off and have bed mounts. easy and painless.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
why can't you strap them down like people strap down motorcycles? motorcycles are much heavier and i see them strapped up by the handle bars all the time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Receiver hitch mount?

Myself, I remove the front wheels and use either the front or side tracs. I did see something like what you linked to, but it was much smaller and only held one bike by the frame and clamped to the bedrail and locked. I want to say it was either a Yakima or Thule? It's just been so long ago I'm not sure, but it was at one of our finer bike shops.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Keep em coming gents. All good input.
For the record, I have a hidden hitch receiver rack but it doesn't fit my cyclocross very well. That frame is slanted and I have three exposed cables plus a frame bag to work around. ( I really worry the clamp will damage teh cables/frame under them.
Also, the front wheel contact on both road bikes is right at the gap where teh bed meats the tailgate. Plenty of room to haul with the gate down. ( Maybe I should consider leaving the bed extender in so I could bungee the front wheel there...

I could strap tham down like suggested but ambition and time run short in my life these days. I'm looking for something fast, simple and good to help get me out using the bikes more.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
your "only" other option (haha) is to build something like this:

Make your own Bike Rack

of course youd have to make the dividers beetween the wheels narrower etc etc..

or just lay em down on a blanket or heavy towel and another beetween the bikes, and then bunjee them down to the bed-floor. wont look as cool, esp to the "yuppie" spandex wearing, gel seat cover, carbon-fiber band aid wearing crowd. but hey, it works and the bikes are undamaged.
I built that rack years ago and it is currently used to store the bikes in the shed. I just throw them in the bed now due to getting a tool box. But it worked very well and if you watch where the cranks are there will be no scratching. But make sure you use LOTS of cement if you make it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Actually, laying one bike down in the bed damages nothing, as long as you lay it so that the saddle and tire sides are the contact points. I've carried all my bikes this way for decades, in several different trucks whose common feature was a bedliner (no Utilitrack). A rolled-up blanket or other large soft bundle under the saddle, another under the handlebars, and you're good to go, as long as the bike is positioned so that it doesn't slide around. All my bikes were high-dollar ones and there was no damage to either bikes or truck.

It's trickier with two bikes, though. I've carried them lying down, with blankets and corrugated cardboard between the bikes, but this is strictly a once-in-a-while method. And all my trucks had either 6' or 7' beds.

If you can stand removing the front wheels, your short bed WILL accommodate bikes attached to the very simple Rocky Mounts Clutch SD fork mounts that go into the Utilitrack rails. I bought one of these and found that my bikes would fit in the bed sideways, if I didn't have a topper. It looked like I could carry four bikes sideways if there were no topper. So this would work for you, if you end up having to use a fork mount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
quick connect bike carrier

Looking to haul a couple of road bikes in the back of my 07 short bed with utility tracks. I would prefer not to have to pull the front wheel. Anybody got a simple mod/add on/idea?
Tried searching and came up with allot of roof rack solutions . Too old for that!
Howdy:
Here is how I haul my 29er MTB on my Frontier...

Picasa Web Albums - t - mtb carrier

Sorry,cant figure out how to post pictures within a post the tags arent working.

tm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts