Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd run this by the collective genius that is the club frontier.

I do private motorcycle instruction. I'm going to start to do group rides with some of my clients. I have a 05 kingcab 6cl se. do you think i can semi-easily cram 3 bikes in the back? I'd be hauling 2 drz400 supermoto's, and a tw200. total weight around 900lbs

I'm trying to avoid the hassle/registration and 55mph speed limit of using a trailer. all advice is appreciated

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
You may be able to fit 2 but 3 would not be wise due to it either damaging the bikes or the truck or both.

2 would be tight also but may work.

I would highly suggest that you get a trailer and just live with the registration but I don't understand the 55mph crap thou. If the trailer is built right and is towed using a load leveling and stability hitch, you should be able to go the speed limit if conditions let you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What about all the gear dude? The bikes would take up all the room. I haul one bike, in my long bed, and the gear and the bike take up all the room. Though that is with the bike at an angle and the tailgate up.. A small three bike trailer might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Just save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a small trailer. A 5x8 can be found for $500 or so and would be a wise investment.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i've hauled 2 bikes in the back of my 6' bed on my crew cab quite a few times and though i've haven't tried it last time we thought we could get three in if we put the middle bike in backwards to keep the bars from cracking into each other. never actually tried it though the guy with the trailer showed up just before we were going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've done 2 bikes in my old pos 4banger ranger with gear no problem. the idea was two going forward, one backwards, and gear in gear bags thrown on top.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this is the ca law with trailers:
"AUTOS WITH TRAILERS/TRUCKS 55 MAXIMUM."

a major advantage of the trailer if enclosed is that the bikes could stay in there when not in use, so that would save some hassle. having to drive a few hours at 55 though might just kill me.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
i've done 2 bikes in my old pos 4banger ranger with gear no problem. the idea was two going forward, one backwards, and gear in gear bags thrown on top.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this is the ca law with trailers:
"AUTOS WITH TRAILERS/TRUCKS 55 MAXIMUM."

a major advantage of the trailer if enclosed is that the bikes could stay in there when not in use, so that would save some hassle. having to drive a few hours at 55 though might just kill me.
most roads have a 55 limit anyways.

·
Registered
431 Posts
if that is ca law then they owe me some tickets. i thought that was just for big rigs.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I really think you could since the motards are pretty slim bikes. You could probably get the yamaha in the middle if you back it in.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've had 3 bikes in the bed of my truck...a friend's DRZ400SM, my XR250, and and another friend's Mongoose 18 speed.

Really, after the two motorcycles were loaded another bike (motorcycle) could have probably been backed in, but it would have been tougher to tie them all in. Personally I wouldn't even want to make a habit of taking two bikes. With the bikes so far to the edges of the bed, I really had to tighten the ratchet straps to keep the bikes in place since the straps were at such a sharp angle. This compressed my front forks a whole lot. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really want to be replacing fork seals more than needed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
bassman- to keep your fork from compressing very much whenever you haul your bike take some scrap lumber (a chunk of 4x4 works great) and cut it a little less than the distance from your tire to the lower crown and front fender of your bike and wedge it in there and start ratcheting. it works great as you can really crank down on the straps and get your bike nice and tight.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
bassman- to keep your fork from compressing very much whenever you haul your bike take some scrap lumber (a chunk of 4x4 works great) and cut it a little less than the distance from your tire to the lower crown and front fender of your bike and wedge it in there and start ratcheting. it works great as you can really crank down on the straps and get your bike nice and tight.
Good advice...no that you mention it I do remember hearing something similar to that that long before I ever had a bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I came accross my own thread while researching 3 bikes in a crew cab. I need a upgrade to fit the kiddies.

Anyway I've done about 60 trackdays, cruising with 3 bikes in the back, doing 75-80, easy up, all the gear etc. Works like a champ! Only thing noticeable is how much longer it takes to brake, other than that hauling 3 bikes is a piece of cake. Hell of a truck!

·
Registered
823 Posts
You can tow a trailer 65 all day long and they will leave you alone. The worst CA law is that you have to stay in the 2 right lanes while towing, I don't know how much they enforce that though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts