Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have an opportunity to acquire an amazing Wildernest topper for my truck.

My truck is a 1998 Frontier, 4cyl, 4x4, long bed, 193k miles.

The seller told me the topper weighs 200-250 pounds.

My question is would this be too much strain on my truck with the Wildernest topper PLUS a motorcycle carrier with my 1982 Honda XL250R? I haven't bought a motorcycle carrier yet, but the Honda weighs approx 257.9lbs. I also live at high altitude (my house is at 10,275ft).

I found a picture of some guy using his Wildernest topper on his '99 Frontier, but his is a V6.

Pic: http://quinnlinski.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/imgp8669-ps.jpg

This was the ONLY post I could find on the interwebs of someone using one of these on their 4 banger, I thought I'd share in case others were interested too.

Mine originally rode on the back of a 1990 Nissan Hardbody 4x4, but I totaled that truck in a rollover (the Wildernest suffered only very minor cosmetic damage). It now rides on a 1998 Nissan Frontier 4x4.

Probably the best thing about the Wildernest is that when it's folded up, you don't even notice it's there. It does not negatively impact my gas mileage. It fits in any standard garage and any standard parking space. It has absolutely no negative impact on the day-to-day use of my truck. If I need to haul something messy in the back of the truck, the carpet kit slides out and has a bed liner beneath it for easy clean-up.

As my Nissan trucks are four cylinder models, I get decent mileage (18 MPG around town and up to 25 MPG on the highway). Not great, but better than a gas guzzler SUV or large motor home - especially since most of the driving on my photo trips is highway mileage getting to/from the general area I'm going to.
If you have a Wildernest topper on your Frontier, please share pics!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just might! These things are pretty cool! I currently have a shell topper, so I'm used to a little weight in the back (I like it for driving in the snow).

I loooooooove camping, I already have all the gear needed (stove, etc) :D I'm trying to go take a look at it today... I'm already thinking of camping trips all over Colorado & the West with that thing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts