Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 frontier 4x4
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 that is giving codes for bad catalytic converters and I found a set of four for $400 on Ebay. Has anyone had any luck with them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
No experience but I have heard you can clean and reinstall them. Or even run (gulp) a gallon of lacquer thinner through the gas tank...

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I would'nt waste the time or money on 100 dollar converter's.
Yeah, I find these suspicious too, if they aren't Walker's or some known brand.

·
Registered
2007 frontier 4x4
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern is if the ones on truck goes bad I dont want to damage the motor. I drive the truck maybe 500 miles a year around the deer lease. The check engine light dosen't bother me. I just dont want to replace the motor again.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I have a converter from Eastern Catalytic on my 1998 Frontier, installed that after someone unbolted and stole the converter from mine, in my driveway. At least thief left the bolts and nuts for me.

My brother-in-law burned up his car up trying that lacquer thinner cleanout, maybe he was putting into the throat or smoking....anyway, the car caught the garage on fire...the garage caught the house on fire...total loss

·
Registered
2007 frontier 4x4
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have used CRC guaranteed to pass inspection catalytic converter cleaner from Walmart on my gas F350 with 4 cans of seafoam in the gas and had so so results. the light stays off as long as I don't idle for extended periods of time. the difference between the two vehicles is the location of the cats in relation to motor, and I just don't want to jack up motor if cat on Nissan fails.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
converters generally don't go bad on their own. They can last the life of the car. Them going bad is due to a bad fuel mixture(usually rich) which causes the cats to work overtime.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You don't need all 4. You need only the two primaries. My secondary cats (the rear ones) on my 2008 Xterra - same drivetrain as you have - now have 375,000 miles and there fine. The primaries have been replaced once on one side and twice on the other.

Nissan cheaped out on their cats. I suppose they had to somewhere. So yes, many cars you never need to change. Lots of guys have to change theirs on this platform before 100K depending on how they drive.

I would suggest either spend the $400.00 and get two quality cats like eastern or Walker for the front 2, or just take the ones you have off and gut them - if you only drive 500 miles a year off road and don't need to pass emissions. You will get codes but your rig will run just fine.

I wouldn't waste my money on the ebay ones. They will more than likely throw codes from day 1 anyway - so there kind of a waste from that standpoint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts