Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Withthe onset of summer(finally) I try to keep a close eye on my water temp. It's been running a steady 195 now for the last couple of days. I was thinking of adding either Purple Ice or Water Wetter. Anyone try either of these and seen any results?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I am currently running Water Wetter but I am not sure of the gains because I also did the stock 350z Tstat swap and a coolant flush at the same time. I can say thou that my gauge is defiently showing that I am running cooler now. I don't have a scangauge so I don't know exactly but I know it is running cooler and enough that the gauge actually registers it, lol.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Water Wetter has worked for me in the past, but I have never used it in a Nissan. Also, it works best with less glycol or straight water... if you so dare.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think all the surface tension reducers will work to improve heat transfer. The issue has always been longevity. These molecules fall apart at high temperatures and you lose the effect.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Those "racing" additives are really for vehicles on "race tracks" who don't allow coolant(green stuff) which can pollute the surface with "slippery stuff".

I did a Nismo t-stat swap and running Prestone.. never looked back.

$.02

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Nismo t-stat, dang your temps must be low, almost too low.

I agree thou, those "racing" additatives were produced for racing applications since the standard coolant is pretty "slippery" and are not always allowed on race tracks.

I do believe that since the cost is pretty low on them, you can easily add them to your daily driver and you will see some results. Not a hugh difference like 15deg but maybe 1-3deg.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ide say a 350Z stat is more beneficial for the cost, but a lot more work than just pouring into the line....its also more permanent. do that instead for better results.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Nismo t-stat, dang your temps must be low, almost too low...
^ yeah my temp. is down there compared to stock but still in the sweet spot. Theres actually a thread/write-up somewhere about it (True Nismo T-stat. IIRC); If you live in a snow/ice area it might be better for the "stock" Z-stat.
I found mine over at Z board for $80.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I've used Water Wetter in my Truck and my snowmobile. I can honestly say, I'm not sure I could tell a difference with either one. BTW, I talked to a NIssan tech at my dealer and he said he thought the 350Z t-stat would make no real difference. He said the only thing that would really make a difference would be to run an extra large radiator with more volume for cooling. The ten degree difference or whatever won't really do anything due to the engine still reaching normal operating temps. It really doesn't matter when the t-stat opens, its still the same amount of fluid to disapate the heat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
water wetter for me.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
350z tstat brought my temps down by at least 10*. swap isnt that bad. did mine without removing tthe fan shroud. in the long run, this is probabbly cheaper than water wetter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've run and "tested" several these products that reduce the coolant/water's surface tension. My favorite is DEI's Radiator Relief.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts