Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the dealers around my area have found 1 truck in their entire region that matches what I want (all the way in Mississippi), I was thinking about special ordering my truck. Since I still have 3-4 months before I'm ready to buy, it sounds like it can be beneficial to me.

How exactly did the process work for you that bought your Frontiers this way? I tried asking the dealers, but they were so vague. See below:

"We can agree to a final price relative to invoice at the time the truck is ordered. Nissan makes incremental price increases throughout the production year. For example, if we agreed to five hundred over invoice plus the $99 document proceeding fee then when the vehicle is invoiced we would have an exact price. The cars are not invoiced at the time they are ordered but rather at the time that they are scheduled for production which is usually about a seven to ten day difference. The incentives on all vehicles are redeemable on the day a customer takes delivery and legal physical possession of a vehicle and not before. The deposit is $500."

And another (sorry, but they guy types in all CAPS):

"SORRY I WAS OFF YESTERDAY, BUT YES YOU CAN ORDER FROM THE FACTORY. MY ORDERING SYSTEM OPENS UP ON THE 7TH OF MARCH AND CLOSES ON THE 10TH. IT TAKES APPROXIMATELY 7 TO 8 WEEKS FOR THE TRUCK TO ARRIVE. IF YOU WANT TO ORDER THAT TRUCK I WILL NEED A DEPOSIT IN THE AMOUNT OF $500.00. YOU CAN COME IN AND I WILL SELL YOU THAT TRUCK $500.00 OVER INVOICE AFTER WE BUILD IT WITH ALL THE OPTIONS YOU ARE WANTING. IF THIS HELPS YOU OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY THE 7TH OF MARCH."

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Yup that sounds like how my truck worked out but I paid invoice. Basically try to get them to sell you the truck at invoice, or get ahold of another dealer and have them order it for you. I went with a deposit and told them what I wanted in my truck and they ordered it and was here in bout 8 weeks! Hope this helps!

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you were talking about the dealer with all caps. The first one kind of sounds like he worded it so that if I were to make a deal with him, he can up the price up or some thing.

". . .if we agreed to five hundred over invoice plus the $99 document proceeding fee then when the vehicle is invoiced we would have an exact price. The cars are not invoiced at the time they are ordered but rather at the time that they are scheduled for production which is usually about a seven to ten day difference."

What's that supposed to mean? So I'm supposed to order the truck without knowing for sure what the out-the-door price is going to be because they won't get an invoice price for it until 7-10 days later, or whenever the production date is?? Sounds fishy, doesn't it? Or am I not understanding it right?

· Registered
2,759 Posts
What the first guy is talking about is if there is an increase from Nissan. Normally it's not much, maybe a $100.00, and he'd probably know within the 7-10 days it takes to get in the system. Two things you definately want to have in writing: 1. Should something occur (i.e. Military Move, financial hardship, etc.), the deposit is fully refundable! 2. You have the right to reject it at the time of delivery if something is not right, such as it's not to your original specs, incurred in-transit damage, etc. That protects you in the event something happen to you or the truck. Trust me, after 20 years in the AF, you could be in Bagdad next month and you certianly wouldn't want to be dealing with trying to buy a car in that situation!

As gfronty05 said, you should be able to do better than $500 over invoice. Shop around, most dealers should be able to do $100 over invoice with no problem, at invoice is much better. Any incentives being offered at the time you take delivery will be applied, so they may be high or lower than what's currently being offered, that's just the gamble you take when special ordering!

The other option is to hold out for another 2-3 months and then check back with these dealers and see what they have available or can find locally. You may find they've gotten what you want in by then. If not, special order at that time. You may have to wait an additional month, but the chances of the incentives getting bigger become greater as the months pass! Good luck!

· Registered
92 Posts
I special ordered mine and it tool about 8 weeks to get it.

I sat down with the salesman, told him what I wanted and we settled on a price. He needed a deposit ($500) to order it. He called me a week before it came in to let me know that the factory said it would be shipping. A couple of days later he called me saying it had come in earlier in the day and was ready to be picked up.

I went down to the dealer, finalized the payment and drove away happy as can be.

I special ordered mine because I wasn't in a crunch as far as needing a car and I intend to have it a very long time (therefore I wanted to have it exactly like I wanted - no concessions).

Disclaimer: My salesman is close personal friends with my father-in-law so my experience could be somewhat special.

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stormrider, did you get that whole spiel about not knowing the exact invoice of the truck until 7-10 days after the order was put in?? Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Who cares if Nissan raises it. If we agreed on a price before the truck is ordered, then that's how much I should pay. Nothing more, nothing less. I think that's what I'll tell him. . .

· Registered
92 Posts
PIMPaLiCiOuS said:
Stormrider, did you get that whole spiel about not knowing the exact invoice of the truck until 7-10 days after the order was put in?? Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Who cares if Nissan raises it. If we agreed on a price before the truck is ordered, then that's how much I should pay. Nothing more, nothing less. I think that's what I'll tell him. . .

The price we agreed on when I ordered it is what I paid when I picked it up. He never gave my any idea that it would be different or would change, and it didn't.

It would seem that the price would be difficult to negotiate if they could raise it on you after you order it. It also seems unfair. I would think that any good salesman could lock in a price for you at time of order.

· Registered
2,759 Posts
Don't let them kid you, they are already asking for $500.00 over invoice, they have plenty of wiggle room! Think about the left over 05's that were selling for less than invoice, they didn't loose anything on them either, and when they ordered them they paid the same as the ones that sold at regular price! Yea, if the price goes up $100.00 they loose a $100.00 of their precious profit, but they're makeing more off you at $500.00 over invoice than they should anyway! I wouldn't pay any more than $100.00 over invoice and then get the exact price in writing, if they're not willing to do that go to another dealer!

· Registered
92 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
Don't let them kid you, they are already asking for $500.00 over invoice, they have plenty of wiggle room! Think about the left over 05's that were selling for less than invoice, they didn't loose anything on them either, and when they ordered them they paid the same as the ones that sold at regular price! Yea, if the price goes up $100.00 they loose a $100.00 of their precious profit, but they're makeing more off you at $500.00 over invoice than they should anyway! I wouldn't pay any more than $100.00 over invoice and then get the exact price in writing, if they're not willing to do that go to another dealer!
Well said. I second that.

· Premium Member
2,395 Posts
and be careful because where they make the most money off of you is when you agree on the price and then they send you to there finance guy. they will try and get you for add-on after the fact, like tire protection, lo-jack system, gap insurence, extended warrenties, ect...... it could add $3000 to the deal. and remember the finance guy is a sellsman too... there are very good at convincing you to buy stuff you dont need. although gap insurence is always a good thing to have. just my 2 cents.

· MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,295 Posts
jojo said:
and be careful because where they make the most money off of you is when you agree on the price and then they send you to there finance guy. they will try and get you for add-on after the fact, like tire protection, lo-jack system, gap insurence, extended warrenties, ect...... it could add $3000 to the deal. and remember the finance guy is a sellsman too... there are very good at convincing you to buy stuff you dont need. although gap insurence is always a good thing to have. just my 2 cents.
Good post Jojo!! They try to sell you every thing under the sun. I fell into an extended warranty but I think it is worth it to me. The only reason being is that if I don't use it I get all the money of the extra warranty returned to me. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yah, I know about the financing guys. I went with my friend to get a Chevy Cobalt, and those guys are salesmen! Even more so than the actual guys selling the car itself! My bank has free Gap Insurance (they call it Total Loss Protection) if I finance through them. They are hard to beat with financing and insurance, but we'll see.

It seems to me that it may not be worth it to try and negotiate for anything below invoice on a special order. Instead, I was thinking that I should talk one dealer into selling the truck at invoice, and then having the other dealers try and beat that. What do you guys think about this?

· Registered
2,759 Posts
I always play one dealership against another! No guarranties, but it never hurts to try!

· Registered
85 Posts
Dealing with dealers

I always play one dealership against another! No guarranties, but it never hurts to try!

I've done the very same thing (one dealer vs another) on every vehicle I've purchased. Its amazing to see the price drop by nearly 7 grand when you set one dealership against another one. Everything from interest rate, to asking price, to extra options at no cost is negiotable. Don't let a dealer wear you down. Give yourself X amount of time to deal. At the end of that time, get up and walk away. The dealer may act as if he doesn't like it, but he knows that there's always another fish.

Play to win.

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, man, you guys are making me hype like I'm about to fight these dealers!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol: Yah, I'm going to work it hard, especially since I'm in no rush to buy right now -- the best position to be in, I think, when making a new car purchase.

I predict not paying more than invoice, and a few extra items for free!!!

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those of you who have yet to buy your Frontier (myself included), Nissan is now offering $1,500 Cash Back!!!! Sweet. It says that the offer expires on the 3rd of April. I don't know I'll be ready to order at that time, but we'll see what I can do with the dealer.

Check out the Nissan website for details.

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, here's the deal. I got a dealer to quote me $27,400 for a NISMO CC 4x4 Auto w/ Traction pckg, Rockford Fosgate pckg, Sunroof pckg, carpet mats, tow receiver hitch, and sliding bed extender. I also tried to squeeze in the $500 military discount after that for a total of $26,900.

Do you guys think it was a mistake for me to go for the $500? Should I have just stuck with the $27,400??

· Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Pimp, definately go for the mil discount. you deserve that discount. they sould respect our military members. if not, i would go some place else. it doesn't make you look cheap to ask for something that they offer. just my 2 cents.

· Registered
2,759 Posts
I could care less if it did make me look cheap, $500.00 is a lot more to me than it is to them! I say go for it! I've always asked and gotten it in the past!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.