Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the roof rack, unpacked it, and now I have questions. Hope you guys can help. This version of roof rack is to be installed with included Polyurethane 915 FC Sealant which uses include: permanent adhesion of glass to metal, metal to metal, construction of cars, etc. With this Roof Rack, manufacture recommends installation without drilling... just using the included adhesive. On the bottoms of the four mounts which contact the roof of the truck are metal plates which are screwed from the bottom up leaving no holes on the outside of the mounts. Its indicated I clean the surface of the truck then apply the adhesive to the metal plates and press the assembled rack onto the truck and hold in place with weight or straps for 24hrs until cured. I know the argument for bolt on Roof Racks and I agree they would be more secure, but I want to explore the situation I have with following the manufactures recommendations of no drilling. If anyone has experience, please comment. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I just looked at the instruction sheet and it sure does seem like that’s what it wants you to do.

Give it a shot. Looks like you’re going to be the pioneer on this one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It sounds like the only thing really holding the rack on will be the paint...
doesn't sound too secure to me. Just try it on a bumpy road where you don't
have to worry about it hitting someone else'
20191105_092800.jpg
s vehicle if it comes off.

I didn't even trust the one's that clip to the door frames.So yeah, I got
the bolt on type (Rhino Rack) even thought it was a pain to install.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I test fitted the rack to see how it looks on the truck. Snapped a couple of pics. Here they are, still have not decided what to do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like the only thing really holding the rack on will be the paint...
doesn't sound too secure to me. Just try it on a bumpy road where you don't
have to worry about it hitting someone else' View attachment 318890 s vehicle if it comes off.

I didn't even trust the one's that clip to the door frames.So yeah, I got
the bolt on type (Rhino Rack) even thought it was a pain to install.
That looks really great and FUNCTIONAL. A friend asked me what I wanted it for, looks or use? I did not have a clear answer. Maybe I'll see what other options are out there. Thank you.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That looks really great and FUNCTIONAL. A friend asked me what I wanted it for, looks or use? I did not have a clear answer. Maybe I'll see what other options are out there. Thank you.

That does look good... if the look is what you're going for it's probably
good. If you sell it let the next owners know that it's not bolted, so they
don't load it up and get hurt or hurt someone.
I know I'm rambling, but the guy down the street put a balcony on his 2nd
story bedroom, decided to rent the house without telling the tenants that
there were only 2 3/8" lag bolts holding it to the structure because he
never intended for more than two people to be on it. It collapsed when his
tenant invited his friends over to party and they all got on the balcony.
You get the picture?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point LittleBull, I've been back and forth on deciding to rack or not rack, at lease with this model. Everyone has made excellent points on the possible danger with it not being through bolted and I have to agree, its not as strong just being glued in place. So, I'll sleep on it another night and maybe a few more after that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Adhesives today are super strong. My friend has a body shop and works on a lot of older silverados with really rusty rocker panels under the doors. He cuts what's left aay and uses an anhesive to attach the replacement rocker panel. Once he had to redo one side and he had to cut off the new rocker panel with a grinding wheel, because he could not get it off with an air chisel. He said the glue cost over $100 a tube...it looked just like a tube of caulk.

What kind of adhesive commes with the kit??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has it fallen off yet?
The force will primarily be down towards the truck (because gravity), but any bumps or bounces will redirect the force up, testing (and likely weakening) the adhesive bond.
I wouldn't trust gluing either, unless it comes with some kind of "free replacement of the stuff that fell off your rook" warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has it fallen off yet?
The force will primarily be down towards the truck (because gravity), but any bumps or bounces will redirect the force up, testing (and likely weakening) the adhesive bond with the roof paint.
I wouldn't trust gluing either, unless it comes with some kind of "free replacement of the stuff that fell off your rook" warranty.

·
Registered
572 Posts
At this point you’re going to have to mount it ....for posterities sake!

Reactions: kc-guy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Adhesives today are super strong. My friend has a body shop and works on a lot of older silverados with really rusty rocker panels under the doors. He cuts what's left aay and uses an anhesive to attach the replacement rocker panel. Once he had to redo one side and he had to cut off the new rocker panel with a grinding wheel, because he could not get it off with an air chisel. He said the glue cost over $100 a tube...it looked just like a tube of caulk.

What kind of adhesive commes with the kit??
915 FC Polyurethane Black 24 hr cure time

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has it fallen off yet?
The force will primarily be down towards the truck (because gravity), but any bumps or bounces will redirect the force up, testing (and likely weakening) the adhesive bond.
Haven't done anything except test fit, trying to get up my nerve to glue it down

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Has it fallen off yet?
Just a side note, going to be carrying gold bricks...LOL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on the rails. Wife and I installed the rails late yesterday, (July 4). Sorry no pics of the install, but I will do some showing the unwrapping and results. It was so hot, I could not keep the sweat out of my eyes. Measuring and remeasuring and then practicing the install before actually doing it... it was an afterthought to do pics. sorry. But I will write up a description and pics of the results as I remove the tarp, straps and tape.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts