Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says i'm curious if anyone on here has actually blown up a c200k. i've searched and looked at a few pages and have yet to find a post of someone saying they had. so if you have blown one up post here and pics would be nice if you have any. thanks

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
To my knowledge there has only been two in the past five years. One Frontier and one X.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That is an intersting question - and how many M226's have blown?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i forgot about andy blowing his, but i think this was with just the calmani 5" and a decently large set of tires. but like you all have said it would seem that the ratio of blown m226 and c200k is greatly in favor of the c200k. i think alot of people look at the c200k as the weaker axle because of the c200k being a 7.874 in ring compared to a 8.898 in m226. i mean i don't know how many people with m226 that have blown the rear end just driving down the road or on a gravel road or other light duty things compared to only hearing of a couple c200k blowing (that i know of). i thought of this question because i am one of the people posting on facebook pushing for a lock-right being made for the c200k. i really think that alot of people don't give this rear end justice. so i thought it would be interesting to try and find out some numbers and situations of blow c200k rear ends.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
as the title says i'm curious if anyone on here has actually blown up a c200k. i've searched and looked at a few pages and have yet to find a post of someone saying they had. so if you have blown one up post here and pics would be nice if you have any. thanks
I've tried.

My reasoning for this is quite simple. I want the M226 w/ trutrac and 3.54 gearing (and of course the matching 3.54 front diff).

Gruesome burnouts. One wheel peel and catching solid traction. both tires loose and catching traction. Both were done with intent to... you get the picture. Water-box burnouts and letting it catch traction (under light throttle), no breakage or abnormal wear last I checked(diff opened up @ 88k). If I can't break it, I'm obviously not trying hard enough...but it seems to be quite stout with stock tires and added hp. Mind you, this is all after 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried.

My reasoning for this is quite simple. I want the M226 w/ trutrac and 3.54 gearing (and of course the matching 3.54 front diff).

Gruesome burnouts. One wheel peel and catching solid traction. both tires loose and catching traction. Both were done with intent to... you get the picture. Water-box burnouts and letting it catch traction (under light throttle), no breakage or abnormal wear last I checked(diff opened up @ 88k). If I can't break it, I'm obviously not trying hard enough...but it seems to be quite stout with stock tires and added hp. Mind you, this is all after 100k miles.
thanks for your post, the more i hear from people and the more searches i do i really am starting to think we have a pretty darn good rear end (c200k)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
i think alot of people look at the c200k as the weaker axle because of the c200k being a 7.874 in ring compared to a 8.898 in m226.
actually i think folks prefer the m226 for the locker and deeper gears. If there was a locker option for the c200k that might eliminate the need for a swap. We could use the gears out of the XE to get to 3.692. 4.083 if someone would make matching gears for the front, or if your 4x2.

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
this guy.

when i blew mine it was right around 25k, i wheeled almost every other day. no bogs, mostly trails. started clicking one day, swap out some nasty thick fluid, problem solved. took it to nissan they put their stuff back in and it started clicking and blew within 24 hrs.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
but how many m226 get used on the trail vs the c200?
that is certainly a factor, and you've got to beleive the locker adds a stressor too.

But I bet there are whole bunch of us SE's that are out there wheelin'

Reactions: dacal86

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
M226 go KABOOOM! @ 1st. Prarie City meet
_ <15k. mi. :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just my two cents, I blew my m226 also, they were saying its usually the spider gears and that they are made out of powered metal pressed under tons of pressure made by dana to nissan standards where the c200 is made by nissan! Nissan also recomends running syn fluid in it, but a friend of mine who builds them all the time said not to run syn in it! It doesnt provide enough shock resistance and they see them break all the time, and to run regular dyno fluid in it! Ive been driving the same way and still no problums with new diff and dino fluid! So I'm a believer now! I also want to see if I can pull the locker part of my old diff apart and see if i can find a set of spider gears out of a different rear axle to replace them and hopefuly never have the problem again because next time it breaks I'm going aftermarket!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Nissan also recomends running syn fluid in it, but a friend of mine who builds them all the time said not to run syn in it! It doesnt provide enough shock resistance and they see them break all the time, and to run regular dyno fluid in it! Ive been driving the same way and still no problums with new diff and dino fluid! So I'm a believer now!

They changed the design of the m226 from 4 spider gears to 6 spider gears. So your new diff is stronger.

I also want to see if I can pull the locker part of my old diff apart and see if i can find a set of spider gears out of a different rear axle to replace them and hopefuly never have the problem again because next time it breaks I'm going aftermarket!
Now that is an excellent idea. That will at least help others that are out of warranty and can't afford a new diff.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.