Nissan Frontier Forum banner

harmonic balancer and alternator went bad

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  150kwh 
#1 ·
so I was talking to my dad today, he took my truck to our local mechanic to have one of the pulleys replaced and our mech told my dad that my harmonic balancer is bad for my truck, and my alternator was almost shot.

I've got about 130XXX miles on the truck last time i saw it. Any of y'all had any problems with this? I told him to just hold off on replacing the alt i can replace that myself. Last time I drove the truck back in december of 08 I had absolutely no problems with it. My brother has driven it a couple of times since ive been in iraq just to keep her company, but no offroading or hard driving since i last drove it. I'm just wondering if y'all had any problems with this and around how many miles did it happen?

#2 · (Edited)
someone on LINXC had the balancer go bad. made some ugly chirp at startup, but other than that didnt seem too bad. dont know the mileage but he's pushing about 106k now and it was a year ago (but his truck sat for most of last year).

it happens.

get it fixed before it wrecks your crank and/or bearings.

o, and it's a PITA. he had to pull the radiator to get enough space to move around and get the puller in there. good luck.

#3 ·
yea, since i aint home im just going to have the mech fix it. I'm not sure if it went bad b/c i hit 3 deer last year, or from riding it hard at the hunting club. Who knows. I'm hoping he'ss wrong about the alt but im going to wait until im home on that one.

#4 ·
3 deer? Are you just unlucky or are deer in your area suicidal

#5 ·
if you ask me suicidal. Those 3 deer arent counting the ones that hit me. haha i guess they are tired of life. i fliped one over the body after an evening of hunting, already had 2 deer in the bed and added a third from hitting it, thats why i decided to put the shrock works bumper on, i got tired of paying for the stock one. i had 2 run into the side of my truck, but those were just baseball sized dents easily fixed. I hope that the new bumper will prevent major damage to the front in the future

#6 · (Edited)
Deer are the most deadly animal in North America.

HBs going bad are very uncommon but not impossible. The rubber vulcanized to the steel breaks loose and as mentioned above can make some noise. Rarely is it a serious driveability issue unless it spins so bad that it will not power the accessory belt drives.

The alternators are low and in a compromised position. High water/mud crossing usually do then in, although a splash of crud in the right places will also kill them. I recommend hosing it out first before completely condemning it if it was recently dunked.

#7 ·
The alternators are low and in a compromised position. High water/mud crossing usually do then in, although a splash of crud in the right places will also kill them. I recommend hosing it out first before completely condemning it if it was recently dunked.
I have no splash guard, and the alternator makes a whirring noise. After some flash flooding I drove through some big puddles but thought nothing of it.

Are you saying to wash it out with water, or to blast it from the outside with electrical cleaner spray? .. do most people have problems with mud or has simple "dirty" rain water caused people problems too?

... I'm actually having problems finding a replacement alternator for my 4cyl, so cleaning/repairing would be great, if possible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.