Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to hardwire my Sirius Stilleto 2. I just need to know witch wire is power and witch one is ground.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i dont believe you can just hard wire it in. that cig plug actually reduces the 12v down to something like 5v. so, wiring it direct to a 12v source could fry it in short order. look on the "dock" or the unit itself and see if there is an input voltage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mylt1 is correct the cig connector reduces the voltage. What i did in an earlier vehicle is just hook the 12v source directly to the lighter. i.e.= I believe the negative is the side clips and the positive is the button on the tip (someone just check me on that). Hook the wires directly to the outlet like that and electrical tape the **** out of it, thats what I did.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
These guys are correct the plug reduces voltage, you don't want to put 12v right to the unit.

Hard wire a 12v accessory outlet behind the center console.
You can wire it switched or always on then plug the Stilleto to it back there.
This is what I did in my last vehicle, tapped into the cig lighter plug from the rear.
Out of site, out of the way, all you have is the small wire running from the unit to back behind the console.
Radioshack has these pretty cheap and so do most of your Automotive places.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mylt1 is correct the cig connector reduces the voltage. What i did in an earlier vehicle is just hook the 12v source directly to the lighter. i.e.= I believe the positive is the side clips and the negative is the button on the tip (someone just check me on that). Hook the wires directly to the outlet like that and electrical tape the **** out of it, thats what I did.
The tip is positive and the side clips are negative. Sometimes only one clip is actually attached on the inside, which can be frustrating. You can wire directly to the plug if you want. Takes some skill to solder to the tip without melting the end though. I've taken them apart and connected to the wires inside as well.

Or you can use what ToddG posted. That's probably the easiest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The tip is positive and the side clips are negative. Sometimes only one clip is actually attached on the inside, which can be frustrating. You can wire directly to the plug if you want. Takes some skill to solder to the tip without melting the end though. I've taken them apart and connected to the wires inside as well.

Or you can use what ToddG posted. That's probably the easiest.
Thanks I kinda knew I had it backwards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts