Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 4x4, V6, that shifts hard between 1st and 2nd gear. All other shifts, and downshifts, are smooth and fluid is red with no burnt smell. 113000 miles. Anyone ever have similar issue or have any input, to correct? You know how transmission shops can be so I don't want them telling me I need a rebuild, just because they don't really know what the source of the problem is. Thanks to all.

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
My 2004 does the same thing, but only when cold. Once it warms up, it shifts okay. For mine, my guess is the issue is with the seals on the accumulator servo. As transmissions get older, their seals can start to get stiff, affecting their sealing. As the trans fluid temperature heats up, it warms the seals and makes them more pliable, increasing their sealing ability. Per the factory service manual, the following are listed, in order, of the things to check for a shift shock between D1 and D2:

ON VEHICLE:

-Throttle position sensor (adjustment)
-Line pressure test
-Accumulator servo release
-Control valve assembly
-A/T fluid temp sensor

OFF VEHICLE:

-Brake band

·
Registered
17 Posts
My trans builder who built my performance trans for my 2500 cummins recommended putting http://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-a...itive/trans-x-transmission-additive/17351_0_0 In my 02 frontier. They sell it at autozone and walmart both as well as several other places I'm sure. He said it helps condition the seals that have gone stiff with age. I was having a problem with the transmission taking an extended period of time to shift into drive when cold. After it warmed up it was not an issue and shifted smooth. I put the TransX in and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 1999 4x4, V6, that shifts hard between 1st and 2nd gear. All other shifts, and downshifts, are smooth and fluid is red with no burnt smell. 113000 miles. Anyone ever have similar issue or have any input, to correct? You know how transmission shops can be so I don't want them telling me I need a rebuild, just because they don't really know what the source of the problem is. Thanks to all.

i have a 02 Frontier XE VG33E with auto tranny. I have a semi hard **** from 1rst to 2nd when my truck is cold but it goes away when its warm. It has done this since day one when i bought it brand new.. How long has it been since you last changed your tranny fluid/filter?

·
Super Moderator
3,333 Posts
No need to change the trans filter as it's just a screen and not intended to be serviced. If there is enough debris in the trans fluid to clog or restrict flow through the screen, the transmission needs an overhaul, not a service. That's what they told me at the Nissan regional training center when I took the transmission course years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts