Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Frontier 4x4 Crew-Cab w/5' Bed.

I find I really have to slam the tail-gate, especially in the cold, to get it to close properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for considering!

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Probably the rubber bumpers are too cold to compress and allow the latch to connect.
Clint

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It could be the latch on one or both sides is not moving around the strike. lithium grease is the solution. But the hang up can be anywhere within the mechanism which extends to the unlatch handle. You may have to take off the inner cover to find the cranky part.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I find I really have to slam the tail-gate, especially in the cold, to get it to close properly.
Any suggestions?
Yeah - NEVER do that. That historically has caused tailgate handles to break. 25 years ago I was told to ALWAYS lift the handle up, close the tailgate, the release the handle to avoid breakage. It's worked for me.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Are your hinges bent? 2009 is when they went to the beefier hinges, but who know exactly when that was.
My hinges are bent and unless you slam (or finesse it) the gate it won't fully latch.

·
Registered
298 Posts
takes like 5min to pull out the cheap screws they use to hold on the innercover, it will expose the entire latching system which will allow you to smear grease on a buntch of contact points greatly reducing handle effort,but it won't do anything for bent panels.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Yep, I NEVER let anyone else close my tailgates. Even a couple of times recently where I bought flooring and Home Depot guys helped load, I make sure to do the closing. Same with a Christmas tree.

I just made up a new slogan: handle your tailgate yourself, and no more tailgate handles

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The entire tailgate latching system on my truck operates much more smoothly after dousing with silicone spray. I used to have to lift the handle when closing but it now closes so easily w/o lifting the handle.
But I do always push on the tailgate when lifting the handle to open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts