Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I know I've already posted about this a few times, but I really don't know what to do and I dont want anything to look too stupid. I'm titan swapping my suspension next week and Im really gonna need some fenders. Im gonna be getting a set of brand new front hannemanns I found for $200. My situation is Im not going to be able to paint them for awhile or get the custom prerunner bumper I want for a while. I was planning on just heating and bending out my plastic XE bumper to try and match up with the fenders. How do you guys really think this is going to look? Its temporary, but I might have to have it like that for a while. Do you have any suggestions of maybe trying to trim the bumper somehow or bracketing the bumper to the fiberglass or something to make it look a little better. I just need some input. Devilrunner already did this and Ive seen it in person. It looks alright but there is some gaps and it looks really round from the front. Heres what his looked like when he put the fenders on.

And here's a reference of how my truck looks like right now and how the plastic bumper is. Keep in mind my new suspension isn't on yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
bending ur bumper will probably look better than just leaving it.. do u have any pix of someone with those fenders that just left their bumper?

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How bout just ditching it entirely?? No fuss, no muss...
No Im not really down with that. Neither will my parents like it either hahaha. I have to have some protection. Plus Im getting ready to leave in a week for my first year of college and having no bumper at all is kind of ghetto. I wouldn't mind if I was going to turn around in a few weeks and get a bumper. But I probably won't be able to do much more to my truck and get a custom bumper made until I come back for christmas vacation.

bending ur bumper will probably look better than just leaving it.. do u have any pix of someone with those fenders that just left their bumper?
So your saying bend the bumper like devilrunner right? I dont know of anyone else who has put fenders on their XE with the plastic bumper. And I havent seen anybody put on fenders and leave the stock bumper. I agree, I think your trying to say that wouldnt look good at all right?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
get some fj cruiser bumper ends and fit them on the side of the bumpers directly under the fenders to help with the visual transition.

or perhaps modifying some wrangler fender flares and bolting them onto the side of the bumpers

·
Registered
116 Posts
bending the bumper doesnt look all that bad, it gets the job done.. not as good as a custom bumper tho. have you considered the hanneman fiberglass bumper like idleone has? its probably cheaper than a custom prerunner bumper and it makes the truck look really clean and compliments the fenders nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
get some fj cruiser bumper ends and fit them on the side of the bumpers directly under the fenders to help with the visual transition.

or perhaps modifying some wrangler fender flares and bolting them onto the side of the bumpers
Maybe possibilities, but not sure if it would really work. The XE bumpers are different than the others with the metal bumpers. The plastic is actually attached to the body and paint of the truck so it has to be trimmed off no matter what when you put fenders on.

bending the bumper doesnt look all that bad, it gets the job done.. not as good as a custom bumper tho. have you considered the hanneman fiberglass bumper like idleone has? its probably cheaper than a custom prerunner bumper and it makes the truck look really clean and compliments the fenders nicely.
Yah Im pretty set on just bending the bumper. Just looking for tips on doing it and making it look a little cleaner. Its still going to be kind of temporary. I really dont like having the fiberglass bumper. If I could find one used right now for cheaper than new I would definitely throw it on there. Eventually though I want to loose my bumper and get a custom one made like this photoshop of mine.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the Hannemann fiberglass bumper and just cut your valence.

Here are some old school pictures of my truck with it.

/IMGP0322.jpg[/IMG]
Dude, again I love your truck. Old and new look. Eventually though I just want to get a prerunner bumper made. You guys do have me thinking of just getting a hannemann bumper though. Wish I could find one used right now. What do you mean cut the valence though? Doesn't look like you need to cut it to put the fiberglass bumper on. I know you have to cut it to put the fenders on.

By the way, anyone have any suggestions on making that cut under the lights on the valence to put the fenders on?

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Dude, again I love your truck. Old and new look. Eventually though I just want to get a prerunner bumper made. You guys do have me thinking of just getting a hannemann bumper though. Wish I could find one used right now. What do you mean cut the valence though? Doesn't look like you need to cut it to put the fiberglass bumper on. I know you have to cut it to put the fenders on.

By the way, anyone have any suggestions on making that cut under the lights on the valence to put the fenders on?
Because your bumper/valance is a one piece, you will need to cut the bumper portion off for the Hannemann bumper. As for cutting the valance, measure twice, cut once. I would leave some extra room to trim to get a nice snug fit, and once cut run some bolts from the fenders into the valance...thats how I had mien set up and the body lines were pretty decent. The fiberglass bumper was like 100$ if I remember correctly, so not too bad at all. My original plan when I had the fiberglass bumper was to cut the center section out for a skid plate/tube bumper and leave the outer portions for looks. But somehow my whole truck snowballed into a ridiculous project...

When do you leave for school? If you need any help with the valance let me know...Ill be back in San Diego on Monday.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because your bumper/valance is a one piece, you will need to cut the bumper portion off for the Hannemann bumper. As for cutting the valance, measure twice, cut once. I would leave some extra room to trim to get a nice snug fit, and once cut run some bolts from the fenders into the valance...thats how I had mien set up and the body lines were pretty decent. The fiberglass bumper was like 100$ if I remember correctly, so not too bad at all. My original plan when I had the fiberglass bumper was to cut the center section out for a skid plate/tube bumper and leave the outer portions for looks. But somehow my whole truck snowballed into a ridiculous project...

When do you leave for school? If you need any help with the valance let me know...Ill be back in San Diego on Monday.
Yah I knew I was going to have to cut the valence apart from the bumper. So I was planning on only separating the bumper from the valence on the outsides where the bumper is below the fenders. Im still kind of confused on cutting this valence. You dont have to take it all the way off to cut it right. Dont you just measure somehow and make those two vertical cuts below the headlights? Im also confused at how the fenders would bolt to the valence, but maybe its because I just have seen it all yet and take my plastic fender wells off.

Also, if that hannemann bumper was only $100 I would be all over it and I would just get that. Hopefully I would be able to get it in time though, not sure. On there website though it says that the hannemann bumper is $250. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and ask them.

Yah I leave for school on August 30th so Im really cutting it close now. And the fricken lower arms I ordered are being fed exed and they're estimated arrival is not til thursday next week, which sucks. So hopefully I'll have everything by thursday and I can do it friday and get it aligned over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yah I just called Hannemann. Their front bumper is indeed $250. Still dont know what Im doing yet. I think im just gonna bend the plastic out like devilrunner and bracket it somehow.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
fiberglass!! lol some mdf screwed to the side of the bumper and some fiberglass cloth and resin covered with black spray can paint!

or better yet, foam blocks AND fiberglass!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fiberglass!! lol some mdf screwed to the side of the bumper and some fiberglass cloth and resin covered with black spray can paint!

or better yet, foam blocks AND fiberglass!
Hahah I do not have the time or skill for that! I wish I did. I think im just going to have to settle for bending the plastic bumper out and bracketing it somehow. Talked to greg today. My stuff will be here wednesday. Probably be doing everything friday and Im probably going to get the fenders tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still cant decide if I should do this or not

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Hahah I do not have the time or skill for that! I wish I did.
there's always a first time for everything. haha from what i hear you just stick on the foam blocks to the side, shape them then lay fiberglass on top of them. yeah i know sounds easier than it is but what are you afraid of? this is supposed to be a temporary fix since you did say you were getting a front bumper in the future. a member here, bamer02 worked with fiberglass in fact he reproduced the hanneman fenders for his truck. (check it out here: exterior mods )and he lives in west covina so maybe he can give you some tips...

that is, if you were really considering this route. goodluck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.