Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
looking for feedback on the factory tires on my ‘19 pro4x in the snow and icy roads, I have run snows for years now due to the amount of snow we get here and the side roads get packed down by cars/trucks and snowmobiles before the plows get to them, making them ice coverEd and slick for weeks at a time or longer if it doesn’t warm up and melt, they put sand down and that helps but a good set of snows makes a big difference, I’m just tired of storing an extra set of wheels and tires and wonder if these Hankooks are up to the task... I’ve been surfing cl for used winter wheels and found some from a 2006 pathfinder, will these fit on my ‘19 pro4x? Both are 16” just planing ahead while I can still get a good price on snows before the season price hike...
last set of snows I ran were Nokian‘s on a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 4wd.... awesome in the snow

·
Registered
503 Posts
These 265/60-18 Hankooks ride as good or better than any tire I've ever had except maybe a set of Toyo Extensas back in the day.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have limited snow driving experience, but even then, I'd rather drive a FWD Honda Civic with dedicated snow tires than a Frontier PRO-4X with all-terrain tires. The problem is that tires designed to run on 120F+ pavement in the summer are going to be stone-hard in freezing temperatures.

Snow tires wear out stupid fast above freezing, but they stay soft and pliable below freezing, along with having additional siping that grips ice.

Myself, I have 3MPSF-rated all-terrain tires and tire chains. But I don't live where it snows. If I do venture out to where it does snow, the DOT will usually close a road before they require chains on 4x4s.

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I have limited snow driving experience, but even then, I'd rather drive a FWD Honda Civic with dedicated snow tires than a Frontier PRO-4X with all-terrain tires. The problem is that tires designed to run on 120F+ pavement in the summer are going to be stone-hard in freezing temperatures.

Snow tires wear out stupid fast above freezing, but they stay soft and pliable below freezing, along with having additional siping that grips ice.

Myself, I have 3MPSF-rated all-terrain tires and tire chains. But I don't live where it snows. If I do venture out to where it does snow, the DOT will usually close a road before they require chains on 4x4s.
Problem with your theory is the civic has to push all that snow out of the way, the truck has ground clearance to drive over it. 3-4", sure, anything more than that, I'll take a truck with 4wd....

·
Registered
2013 Frontier SV 4x4 LWB VTP
19 Posts
Hello all
looking for feedback on the factory tires on my ‘19 pro4x in the snow and icy roads, I have run snows for years now due to the amount of snow we get here and the side roads get packed down by cars/trucks and snowmobiles before the plows get to them, making them ice coverEd and slick for weeks at a time or longer if it doesn’t warm up and melt, they put sand down and that helps but a good set of snows makes a big difference, I’m just tired of storing an extra set of wheels and tires and wonder if these Hankooks are up to the task... I’ve been surfing cl for used winter wheels and found some from a 2006 pathfinder, will these fit on my ‘19 pro4x? Both are 16” just planing ahead while I can still get a good price on snows before the season price hike...
last set of snows I ran were Nokian‘s on a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 4wd.... awesome in the snow
I haven’t driven on the Hankook Dynapros, but I have the Pathfinder ATs from Discount Tire which are quite similar. My opinion: If you live somewhere that gets a decent amount of snow, and stays relatively cold through the winter, get some dedicated snow tires. Any severe snow rated AT tire will do “okay”, but you won’t have nearly the degree of control and safety as you’d have with snow tires. Before my Frontier, I totaled my Ranger in the snow right after I had my snows taken off, I know if I had my snows on I would not have gotten in an accident in the first place. With my Frontier in the snow on AT tires, I have to drive much more conservatively, and it’s no where near as comfortable as driving with snows.

I have Hankook Ipike RW11 as my snow tires in 265/75/16. Great tire, great price. Stiffer sidewalls than Blizzaks, and decently agressive tread for a passenger snow tire. Put the studs in them if you can and it’s great on ice too! If you can swing the upfront cost of a second set of tires/wheels, it’s definitely money well spent! Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I run snows on the wife’s Golf sportwagen Front drive, Michelin x ice and I can keep up with any 4x4 truck from a stop light and at speed but we usually get a deep enough dump of snow making the golf useless till the plows come through, I’ll just order up some snows and search for some used frontier wheels to mount them too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are OK.... tbh, they aren't the best... i think the brdigestone blizzak's were better for snow.... when it gets DEEEEP i throw these on... SUPER EASY and FAST to put on:

Around here those would get you through the snow ok, but it’s the snow packed rural roads I travel to get to the main road, once to the main roads, they’ll be clear a day after the snow, rural roads will be packed ice for weeks, i think snows would be best.. but thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
The Dynapro's did great for us last New Years in Pagosa Springs, CO. They are 3PMSF rated, and we had no problems.

They were recently replaced with Falken Wildpeaks, which are also 3PMSF rated, looking forward to trying those in the snow

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 05 F150 come with Hankook Dyna pros. Don't remember which, but they were not HTs, or ATs. All season describes best. They were fine, not great. I did all kinds of research on tirerack. all the Hankooks were rated as a mediocre tire. Went with Yokohama Geolander ATs. That was a superior tire in comparison to the Hankooks. Replaced Ford with a Frontier. It had Firestone destination le2s. Again, a much better tire. But also a lighter truck that in my opinion drives better than any full size pickup.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 320371 The Dynapro's did great for us last New Years in Pagosa Springs, CO. They are 3PMSF rated, and we had no problems.

They were recently replaced with Falken Wildpeaks, which are also 3PMSF rated, looking forward to trying those in the snow
Thanks for the feedback, I do know they are 3PMSF rated, testing for that rating is on acceleration only, does not include Braking, turning or ice traction but does mean they are better than an all season for sure. Your feedback is much appreciated and has me thinking just try them for a year and see...thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 05 F150 come with Hankook Dyna pros. Don't remember which, but they were not HTs, or ATs. All season describes best. They were fine, not great. I did all kinds of research on tirerack. all the Hankooks were rated as a mediocre tire. Went with Yokohama Geolander ATs. That was a superior tire in comparison to the Hankooks. Replaced Ford with a Frontier. It had Firestone destination le2s. Again, a much better tire. But also a lighter truck that in my opinion drives better than any full size pickup.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

thanks for the feedback 411

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve run the dynapro’s for three winters in Utah. If there is snow on the road they are great, ice or slick roads of any kind they are terrible. Airing down helps some but it’s just the tread design and compound I assume, not a tire expert and YMMV.
I carry 150lbs of rock or sand in the winter to help out but I still baby it. This year I’ll likely switch to some dedicated winters and see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The General Grabber AT/Xs had the highest rating on TireRack that I saw, a 9.0 or better in all categories, and are factory 3MPSF-rated, so I went with 235/85r16's. When the snow arrives, we'll see if my decision was a sound one. We are usually in central Maine for at least one snow-fall a year so these should get a good test. Even my old Michelin Defender's did pretty well in their deep slop.

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
my opinion is any snow tire is better than any Passenger, AT, MT, or LT tire on the market In the snow. Snow tires are made with a compound that is designed to work well in temps 45 degrees and less. I had a set of snow tires on my rear wheeled drive car and they worked flawlessly here in NJ. Of coarse you still need to drive carefully and smart. Doesn’t matter what tire you have your not stopping on ice.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
my opinion is any snow tire is better than any Passenger, AT, MT, or LT tire on the market In the snow. Snow tires are made with a compound that is designed to work well in temps 45 degrees and less. I had a set of snow tires on my rear wheeled drive car and they worked flawlessly here in NJ. Of coarse you still need to drive carefully and smart. Doesn’t matter what tire you have your not stopping on ice.
I agree 101%, I had Firestone Winterhawks on my Cruze 2LT RS Turbo and drove through the Nor'Easter that hit New England about 2 or 3 yrs back. I shouldn't have but misjudged how bad it was going to be getting from PA to ME, on the I95 and all the others I can't remember in detail. Waiting 24 hrs would have been very prudent but I didn't, and w/o proper snows I'm not sure I would have lived through the experience. Heavy wind, driving snow and intermittent white-out conditions made for a quite harrowing ride, especially in a smaller sedan when semi's are sliding around and turning over around you. I traded that car for my Frontie but not because I felt it was unsafe, honestly it was one of the best cars I've ever owned, I just got rid of it cause I wanted a truck and couldn't afford both, at the time.
I've also used the Bridgestone Blizzaks and have had dedicated sets of snows since 1998.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve run the dynapro’s for three winters in Utah. If there is snow on the road they are great, ice or slick roads of any kind they are terrible. Airing down helps some but it’s just the tread design and compound I assume, not a tire expert and YMMV.
I carry 150lbs of rock or sand in the winter to help out but I still baby it. This year I’ll likely switch to some dedicated winters and see how that goes.
well, I found some wheels off craigslist for the truck with tpms for $80.00 and ordered some cooper discoverer m&s winter tires from discount tire at $103. Each, over the years I’ve run many different snows on my wife’s car and mine from Blizzaks to general altimax arctic to Nokians all were good tires I’m sure the coopers will work out good also, I wasn’t so concerned with getting through with deep snow as much as driving the county roads that get packed down and turn to ice and stay that way for weeks. Dedicated winter tires are so much better than all seasons and to me worth the money spent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts