Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the Dynapro HT tires perform so poorly that they constantly slip in wet weather with even soft acceleration or will it happen with any tire? I have a 2021 Crew Cab 4x4 SV. I was thinking of an all terrain E load tire since I tow a small teardrop trailer and am occasionally on dirt roads with the trailer.

I tried to do a search here for info on tire spin, but that subject is a little broad on results.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Do the Dynapro HT tires perform so poorly that they constantly slip in wet weather with even soft acceleration or will it happen with any tire?
Highly unlikely. I imagine you could slip any kind of tire in wet weather with enough throttle. But the Frontier doesn't really have that kind of power to accidentally do it. If it does do it then it's not really a tire issue but rather a driver issue. There would be no problem if you are driving properly with respect to the weather you are driving in.

Some tires are better than others but no tire is that bad unless it's bald.

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
264 Posts
Some tires are better than others but no tire is that bad unless it's bald.
I do not off hand recall what Hankooks are provided as OEM on a '20 SV, but I've got 10,000 miles on them to date and they have recently started to slip under moderate acceleration on a wet road. Also noticing ABM activation in the wet. So obviously these tires start to lose their effectiveness in only a few thousand miles. Is why I had a thread under "Tires - Ouch" as I will be replacing them shortly and before we get any significant snow.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The 3.8 most definitely has enough HP to give you the wet slip on takeoff. If you read reviews on the Hankook's, plenty of people have the issue. Some All Terrain tires are better than others with respect to slipping on wet pavement. My factory Hankook's which are at 1,000 miles are slippery in the wet Florida weather. I'm installing Load C BF KO2's and don't expect a better result with those to be honest. All Terrain tires are designed for "only acceptable" on road manners. If you want to avoid most of that, you'll have to go with the less aggressive tread All Terrain tires:
Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Firestone and Yokohama. They all make All Terrain's that most resemble a road tire while offering decent off road qualities.
LRod

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Dynapro HT's started to have noticably less grip at around 20k miles. This is my first paid off vehicle so I baby it, and still get tire slip on takeoff on wet pavement. ABS activates when slowing down and turning on a road that I frequent when it's wet outside. It's downhill and very smooth asphalt, but still, no bueno.

They seem to have stopped wearing around the time I noticed poor wet traction, I've got about 6 or 7/32nds all around with 38k miles.

They still tread water decently enough in heavy rain though. Dry traction is still excellent.

·
Registered
2018 SV Midnight Edition + 2008 Avalon XL
212 Posts
Every 4.0 I've driven will break the tires loose if you punch it.

My dynamo hts have been fine in super heavy rain. But, I have 18" rims and only 14,800 miles.

·
Registered
654 Posts
In my opinion unless you are in an area with extremely sharp rocks from mining or dynamite use, or natural occurrence. I wouldn't go with an E load Tire. With an E load tire you pay a price on a truck this light due to the stiffness of the tire. I tow my 12ft enclosed trailer, an 18ft boat, and a large utility trailer all the time with my C load tires. If your size tire is one of the few sizes Bfg makes the KO2 AT in a C load that @lrod1707 mentioned those would be a good choice. I've also had good luck with Goodyear Duratracs. I've heard good things about the Goodyear ultra terrains that Discount Tire sells exclusively, but haven't run them myself. If your looking for a budget tire, when I bought my truck it had tires that were four sizes too small on it(they only had about 5k on them thankfully). So for a number of reasons, I immediately needed some cheap tires to bridge me until I had a plan for the truck. I bought Kumho at51s on sale with an additional rebate and they are without a doubt the best inexpensive AT tire I've ever owned. If you're looking for a good highway all around tire Michelin's high-end LT tire is popular with a lot of people with light trucks, people on here rave about them. Good luck with the tire shopping.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Lots of variables involved in tire slippage: rubber compound, tire temperature, tread design, road temperature and surfacing material, residual chemicals on said road surface, and not to forget - driver habits and “foot weight.”

For my part I like the ride and handling of the Hankook’s that came on my SL. Smooth, quiet, and no slippage issues for me. Just over 40k miles on the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Kelly Mack

·
Registered
2021 Frontier CC SV Midnight
53 Posts
Also have to factor in these are pickups , with not really any weight in the back to help with tire grip. I’m about 8k miles and definitely get wheel slip when wet if I give the pedal too much encouragement lol same goes for any pickup I’ve ever owned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
DynaPros are known to be slippery when wet. Worse in snow. Had a set, never again in Minnesota. Go to TireRacks website and look at the ratings and reviews for any particular tire. Thus is how I've researched tires for the last 15 years. You'll find the tires the shops carry, mostly, are middle of the road. I buy all my tires there. Balance out price, traction on ice/snow, etc. Two years ago, put 4 tires on 4wd Frontier for $550. Today??

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts