Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Frontier Pro-4X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan has a deal right now, only $600 installed for all 4 Hankook dynapro at-m (rf10). I bought my truck used and the Hankooks were already replaced, so any reviews of these tires would be great.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Posted this a number of times now but worth stating again; I bought a 2016 Pro4X new and the OEM Dynapro ATMs that came with it are the worst tires I have ever experienced in my 50 years of driving. They have the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol which is suppose to be granted to only the best winter tires, there is no way this tire deserves that, I have driven rear wheel drive cars with all season radials that were better than this tire.
Not sure if they are made in multiple plants, but reviews are all over the place, seem some love them and some (like me) hate them.
My experience is;
Exeptionally loud road noise, others on this forum say theirs are quiet.
Horrible tire wear, at 10K miles they were more than half gone and I rotate and check pressures regularly. Others say they got 50K out of them.
Poor snow performance, I could not believe how mediocre these were in snow.
Don't even think about driving on any kind of slippery surface. You of course have to be cautious on any icy/slippery surface with any tire but WOW I was sliding badly in places others were not.

As you can see by the reviews on TireRack a lot of people love them, but there are reviews similar to mine, maybe we just got ours from a bad batch, who knows but I will never take a chance and buy another tire from Hankook.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
@ItchyBungHole is right.

Case in point, I've got the exact opposite review compared to @UncleG

My stock hankooks were great here in the PNW, wet and winter weather, even in our mountain passes I never had traction issues. Thrashed them pretty hard off-road as well, they did just as well as any other AT I've used. Never had issues. At 40k miles when I upgraded to larger MTs they still had at LEAST 30% life left, and balanced just fine.

Monitor your pressures and keep them rotated at a good interval and with damn near any modern AT tire you'll be fine.

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
129 Posts
I can only give my impressions after 1700 miles, but I'm happy with the Dynapro ATM that came on my 2020 Pro-4X. Did awesome in the snow earlier in the year, and in rain. Pretty quiet for an AT tire also.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
@ItchyBungHole is right.

Case in point, I've got the exact opposite review compared to @UncleG

My stock hankooks were great here in the PNW, wet and winter weather, even in our mountain passes I never had traction issues. Thrashed them pretty hard off-road as well, they did just as well as any other AT I've used. Never had issues. At 40k miles when I upgraded to larger MTs they still had at LEAST 30% life left, and balanced just fine.

Monitor your pressures and keep them rotated at a good interval and with damn near any modern AT tire you'll be fine.
Same here. I had them on a previous truck and they did great. Granted I never saw snow or ice. But they did great on pavement, rain, light mud, and dirt. That truck was 2WD and I got stuck a lot, but I wouldn't blame it on the tires. Soft ranch land will do that. Ran them about 30k and had a lot (I'd say at least 6/32" since I replace tires once they get to 4/32") of tread left. No lane wandering on grooves. They got louder as they wore down, but almost all tires do that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the Nissan tire deal. The Dynapro ATMs that came on my 16 DR were good looking tires and I loved them. I replaced them at 80,000 miles and from the looks of them I could have probably gone another 10,000.

Now about the new ATMs. They have changed the tire tread somewhat and the tire no longer looks aggressive. It looks like a regular car tire now. When I first saw them on the truck, I thought they had put on a smaller size. They ride okay and seem to roll a little better, but I don't like the looks.

Original tire:

New Tire:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Posted this a number of times now but worth stating again; I bought a 2016 Pro4X new and the OEM Dynapro ATMs that came with it are the worst tires I have ever experienced in my 50 years of driving. They have the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol which is suppose to be granted to only the best winter tires, there is no way this tire deserves that, I have driven rear wheel drive cars with all season radials that were better than this tire.
Not sure if they are made in multiple plants, but reviews are all over the place, seem some love them and some (like me) hate them.
My experience is;
Exeptionally loud road noise, others on this forum say theirs are quiet.
Horrible tire wear, at 10K miles they were more than half gone and I rotate and check pressures regularly. Others say they got 50K out of them.
Poor snow performance, I could not believe how mediocre these were in snow.
Don't even think about driving on any kind of slippery surface. You of course have to be cautious on any icy/slippery surface with any tire but WOW I was sliding badly in places others were not.

As you can see by the reviews on TireRack a lot of people love them, but there are reviews similar to mine, maybe we just got ours from a bad batch, who knows but I will never take a chance and buy another tire from Hankook.

I have a 2018 pro4x... it came with the Dynapro ATM's. They were an okay tire, but when it came time to change them, I chose BFG's AT KO2's. These tires really rock and look better, too. IMAO

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
when it came time to change them, I chose BFG's AT KO2's
Have you driven in the rain? I had KO1's and KO2's and they were just about the worst rain tires ever. I'd rather have highway tires with 4/32" tread than brand new BFG ATs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you driven in the rain? I had KO1's and KO2's and they were just about the worst rain tires ever. I'd rather have highway tires with 4/32" tread than brand new BFG ATs.
I have. I live in PCB, Florida and it rains pretty frequently. My experience with the KO2's has been better than with the DynaPro's... (so far). I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just did the Nissan tire deal. The Dynapro ATMs that came on my 16 DR were good looking tires and I loved them. I replaced them at 80,000 miles and from the looks of them I could have probably gone another 10,000.

Now about the new ATMs. They have changed the tire tread somewhat and the tire no longer looks aggressive. It looks like a regular car tire now. When I first saw them on the truck, I thought they had put on a smaller size. They ride okay and seem to roll a little better, but I don't like the looks.

Original tire: View attachment 329978
New Tire: View attachment 329979
Maybe it's just me but I can't see the difference

·
Registered
775 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I can't see the difference
The outermost groove is straighter on the mounted one and more stairstepped on advertisement. That's about the only difference I see.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,653 Posts
The outermost groove is straighter on the mounted one and more stairstepped on advertisement. That's about the only difference I see.
A similar zig-zag breaking-up center blocks was straightened out too.

It would not surprise me if the changes were because of blocks suffering chipping at these hard points.

·
Registered
775 Posts

It would not surprise me if the changes were because of blocks suffering chipping at these hard points.
Good find! I was never that good at "spot the difference" games. Lol

·
Registered
129 Posts

Ahh yes, it's clear to me now. My 2020 Pro-4X has the less aggressive newer tread.

Looks like you need to opt for the AT2 if you want a more aggressive tread pattern now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts