Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us in the free areas and can legally carry a handgun on their person or in the truck, How do you have it secured ?
I'm looking for options at this point, my work is OK with having a firearm and the pistol goes inside the house every night.
With the current situation out in the world, having a readily accessible legally carried firearm where ever you are is a reality.
I miss the drawer in the center of the dash on my Ram, it was sized perfectly for a Glock 19 and a spare magazine. I
It was almost like someone at Chrysler knew what it would be used for.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I started carrying my G43, its fits perfect in the pocket of the console, covered by a microfiber towel, until I exit, then its on me. If I happen to be going into a rather undesirable area, its beside the eBrake.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
G26 over here.... OD Green :alien:

Reactions: Rahlow

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK is an open carry state, including vehicles. So either my m&p or glock 20 sits next to the e brake handle while driving. We can't carry out on the trucks while on shift so i drop in the door or glove box and my truck is always parked inside the secured parking area. Wouldn't mind adding a lockable box somehow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK is an open carry state, including vehicles. So either my m&p or glock 20 sits next to the e brake handle while driving. We can't carry out on the trucks so i drop in the door or glove box and my truck is always parked inside the secured parking area. Wouldn't mind adding a lockable box somehow.
Glock 20 !
A Real Man's Gun !!
I have a Gen 3 for walking in the woods that gets loaded with 200g Underwood Hard Cast when there are hogs in the area.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Glock 20 !
A Real Man's Gun !!
I have a Gen 3 for walking in the woods that gets loaded with 200g Underwood Hard Cast when there are hogs in the area.
Was wondering if anyone caught that 😀. It's a hoot. Got it a few years ago for Colorado, plus I'd been interested in the cartridge for several years before that. It's either loaded with 180gr Sig V Crowns or Underwood 200gr XTPs unless in Colorado then either XTPs or hardcast.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Are you talking about when driving or are you talking about where to put it if for whatever reason you need to store it in your car temporarily?

If you're driving then it should be on your person. The last thing you want to do is to have a gun loosely set next to the E-brake so it will go flying when you hit the brakes or get into an accident. If it's holstered I could see putting it in a closed console and that should be safe enough, although I don't think that's preferable. If it isn't in the holster I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it anywhere while you are driving as you have an unprotected trigger getting jostled around in a glove box, or center console, exc.

If temporarily storing it in the truck then I keep it in a handgun safe that is secured under the seat.

Reactions: bas1563

·
Registered
75 Posts
I carry on my person 99% of the time. If I do have to secure my gun in the truck (going to my daughter's school, work, etc.) I have a Bulldog car safe with the locking sleeve. I made a mount to secure it behind the rear seat (bolts to the two rear seat bolts and the child seat "latch" bolt). IF some crapbag breaks into the truck and finds it, they will have to put some work into getting it out of there....

I will not leave my firearm in the vehicle without having some way to lock it up. I respond to way too many calls where someone's car was broken into and they left their gun in the console, glove box, door pocket, etc., and of course that's the first thing that is taken. It is extremely irresponsible to not properly secure a weapon. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 2.5" lift
47 Posts
For those of us in the free areas and can legally carry a handgun on their person or in the truck, How do you have it secured ?
I'm looking for options at this point, my work is OK with having a firearm and the pistol goes inside the house every night.
With the current situation out in the world, having a readily accessible legally carried firearm where ever you are is a reality.
I miss the drawer in the center of the dash on my Ram, it was sized perfectly for a Glock 19 and a spare magazine. I
It was almost like someone at Chrysler knew what it would be used for.

Secured on my person, at all times. Blessed to live in the free state of Texas. Ya'll take care now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Ruger LCPII in my pocket if I have pants on. I want to put the G19 in the truck where it’s accessible, meaning a holster.
At work, I park in a controlled entry fenced lot directly adjacent to my office. I don’t leave any of my vehicles unattended for very long and generally try to get seating where I can see the truck. The pistol comes in the house every night when I get home from work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Are you talking about when driving or are you talking about where to put it if for whatever reason you need to store it in your car temporarily?

If you're driving then it should be on your person. The last thing you want to do is to have a gun loosely set next to the E-brake so it will go flying when you hit the brakes or get into an accident. If it's holstered I could see putting it in a closed console and that should be safe enough, although I don't think that's preferable. If it isn't in the holster I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it anywhere while you are driving as you have an unprotected trigger getting jostled around in a glove box, or center console, exc.

If temporarily storing it in the truck then I keep it in a handgun safe that is secured under the seat.
That’s your opinion

·
Registered
623 Posts
That’s your opinion
Yes. It is. I value your opinion on the matter as well. For me personally I think the risk of having a gun loosely secured in a vehicle - where statistically speaking it is much more likely that you will get into a car accident than it is you will need a firearm - does not outweigh the benefit.

Reactions: williamson42

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's in a safariland als holster, always. I'll take my chances. I drive through a less than stellar section of town to get to work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can only cite my own state laws, but it's a good place to start because Florida is somewhat in the middle ground of gun rights.

Florida is not open carry, but permitted concealed carry is fine. If you have a firearm on your person, even in your car, you will need a CCW. Without a permit, it is legal to store your firearm in your car, but it cannot be immediately accessible. I recall a "2 Steps" rule, but I can't remember where I heard this rule. For example, as it must be holstered and in your glove box, or it must be in a locked box and unloaded. If the gun is readily accessible, like tucked between the seats, or in a map pocket, it's illegal.

You also have to consider crossing state lines. Once you cross state lines, almost any law is out the window, and many states have strict laws about carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. The safest bet, if you are carrying a firearm across the country (for legal intent), is to unload it, lock it in a proper transport case, and lock it in your trunk or a compartment that is not immediately accessible to the driver/passengers.

I cannot see anything good coming from tucking it next to your e-brake or in a map pocket with a cloth over it, even if that is somehow legal. I don't keep much loose stuff in my truck, mostly because it all goes flying when I turn or brake. I also have 2 kids, so there's that.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts