Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these?

Both of these these seem to be the best quality/ lighting halogen bulbs available for 9007 size.

BTW, what are the stock halogen bulb specs? Think I've read that they are already the maximum illumination legal and fairly high quality.

Insight appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
i had the piaa extreme whites's on my Civic a few yrs back...they're better than stock but they don't seem to have a good lifespan....maybe 18 months. guess thats the tradeoff for crisper whiter lighting

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I have the PIAA Xtreme White Plus in both my headlights and my foglights. They work great and are way better than stock! I have had great luck with them for about 6+ years now. Used them in my last vehicle before the Frontier too.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
What Avplayer said; the Phillips bulbs are 1/2 of what the Piaas will hit ya for and will likley last wayy longer.

IIRC D.O.T legal is 65/55w.... Higher wattage will tax the stock wiring.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the philips and they are great, much brighter than stock, and they seemed brighter than the silverstar ultras. I've had them for almost 2 years now.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the phillips Xtreme in our civic. A little better but not as good as I thought it would be

·
Registered
265 Posts
I hate to start by saying "I know a guy who...." but here it goes....:)

I came in contact with a guy who tested the actual lumen output of these halogen bulbs and the OSRAM Silverstars seem the be beating the competition by at least 200 lumens. Sylvania (part of the OSRAM conglomerate) also makes bulbs branded "Silverstar" but these are not up to the same quality. You need to get the OSRAM's which differ from the Sylvania's in that the bulbs are completely clear. (The Sylvania's are lightblue coated).

·
Registered
850 Posts
I hate to start by saying "I know a guy who...." but here it goes....:)

I came in contact with a guy who tested the actual lumen output of these halogen bulbs and the OSRAM Silverstars seem the be beating the competition by at least 200 lumens. Sylvania (part of the OSRAM conglomerate) also makes bulbs branded "Silverstar" but these are not up to the same quality. You need to get the OSRAM's which differ from the Sylvania's in that the bulbs are completely clear. (The Sylvania's are lightblue coated).
Not avail. in the 9007:
Note that this is NOT THE SAME product line as the European Osram
SilverStar, which is a super-high-performance, NON-blue-coated,
good-quality bulb. Osram SilverStar bulbs are available only in H4, H1
and H7, not in US types 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007."

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the Philips and they are better than stock. They don't have any blue tint or anything but i think that's dumb anyway. Can't get them in H11.

I am seriously considering upgrading to HIDs since you can get them for under $150 w/ fogs. Might want to keep that in mind.

EDIT: Nevervmind, look at the post about 8500k HIDs being too bright. Go with the Philips and try adjusting your headlights up a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I have the Philips and they are better than stock. They don't have any blue tint or anything but i think that's dumb anyway. Can't get them in H11.

I am seriously considering upgrading to HIDs since you can get them for under $150 w/ fogs. Might want to keep that in mind.

EDIT: Nevervmind, look at the post about 8500k HIDs being too bright. Go with the Philips and try adjusting your headlights up a bit.
its not that the kit is too bright its that ur tryin to use hids in a housing thts not meant for hids...if ur gonna upgrade to hids do it right...do a complete retrofit

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have run them both. I have always been frustrated with the light output on our trucks. (bad housing design) I have adjusted my beams up. This helps a little but still does not solve the problem.

Between the Philips Xtreem and the Piaa extream white plus. People can say the Piaa's are brighter but the light output is whiter not brighter. They both work on the same principle of overdriving the filiments to produce brighter light which also produces lower life span.

Bottom line I like the philips. The light lense is not tinted to produce a blueish white light it produces nice driveable light in dark conditions.

I am tempted to try the HID kits if they made any of good quality. It seems they are all quite cheap and when they break down parts are not readily avalible.

Osram makes a bulb called the night breaker which is their latest graetest. I hear it is on par with the philips.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have run them both. I have always been frustrated with the light output on our trucks. (bad housing design) I have adjusted my beams up. This helps a little but still does not solve the problem.

Between the Philips Xtreem and the Piaa extream white plus. People can say the Piaa's are brighter but the light output is whiter not brighter. They both work on the same principle of overdriving the filiments to produce brighter light which also produces lower life span.

Bottom line I like the philips. The light lense is not tinted to produce a blueish white light it produces nice driveable light in dark conditions.

I am tempted to try the HID kits if they made any of good quality. It seems they are all quite cheap and when they break down parts are not readily avalible.

Osram makes a bulb called the night breaker which is their latest graetest. I hear it is on par with the philips.
I wouldn't try an HID kit. You'd need to install retrofit projectors in order to project the light correctly and have a real low and high beam.

Our headlight reflects aren't designed for HID light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts