Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a set of four 16x7 steel spare wheels from the local salvage yard ($45 ea. Nissan part number 40300-ZP56A). They were from various years from 2015-2019. All had some rust, but nothing too bad. The paint job on the Nissan spares is terrible -- extremely thin and no primer. So any rust they get spreads underneath the cheap paint. I'm not surprised that these rust so easily hanging under the bed. I initially planned on just cleaning them up, prepping, primering, and spray painting them. But they needed to be completely stripped if I wanted a decent finish.

So I decided to get them sandblasted and powder coated. Checked local prices and Les Schwab tires offers this service for half of what other local specialty shops wanted. Ended up being $65 per wheel to sand blast, zinc-rich powder primer, and powder coat in their matte black (really a satin black). It's not a showroom quality finish but it is durable. The zinc-rich primer will help stop any rust from spreading under the coating if they get chipped.

Had Les Schwab swap over my OEM 265/75r16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs. They only have 10k miles on them so no point changing out at this point. I asked them to balance them using the adhesive weights that are used on alloy wheels (on the back inside surface of the wheel so I don't have the ugly metal weights on the edge of the rim), and they had no problem doing so. I provided new TPMS sensors and rubber valve stems since the ones for my Pro-4X alloy wheels won't transfer over. I used Schrader 33560 TPMS Dual Frequency EZ Sensor with Snap In Valve Stem.

I also sourced center caps that fit (from Thailand). They are available in black or silver painted. Nissan part numbers: 40342-EB01A black; 40342-EB00A silver.

I'm really happy with the results -- I liked my Pro-4X alloys, but I wanted something simpler and more utilitarian. As a bonus, they make the stock size 265/75r16s look beefier for some reason, so the nagging thought of wanting to go up to 285s will cease. The weight was also surprising to me -- both the original alloy and the spare steel weigh exactly the same: 24.9 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
OMG, that looks great!

I'd actually been thinking about someday getting pizza cutter 33s on steelies. This is encouraging me...

Also an extra thumbs-up for de-stickering. The truck looks more purposeful, less blingy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG, that looks great!

I'd actually been thinking about someday getting pizza cutter 33s on steelies. This is encouraging me...

Also an extra thumbs-up for de-stickering. The truck looks more purposeful, less blingy.
Thanks — de-stickered the day after I got it.
Yeah, the original wheels we’re just a little too ”fancy” for me.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks — de-stickered the day after I got it.
Yeah, the original wheels we’re just a little too ”fancy” for me.
Nice job! Couldn't agree more on the factory paint being terrible on those. I just did mine with primer and paint (satin). Good info on the tpms.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV CC
8 Posts
What's the tie-tie downs in the 2nd picture?

Reactions: RobFrisco415

·
Registered
2019 CC 4x4 SV
113 Posts
I really like this look. I kinda wanted black wagon wheels with white letters out when I went shopping, but didn't find any. Didn't look to hard honestly. Didn't want to play guinea pig on what might fit rotors.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like this look. I kinda wanted black wagon wheels with white letters out when I went shopping, but didn't find any. Didn't look to hard honestly. Didn't want to play guinea pig on what might fit rotors.
For me there really aren't many aftermarket wheels that I like, especially ones that fit. A simple black wheel is all I wanted.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
  • Sad
Reactions: Afrontierguy

·
Registered
478 Posts
Probably sell them locally (Seattle, WA area).
I’d love to find some locally, it’s about $200+ shipped to HI for a set of 4. I’ve been eyeing the p4x’s for over a year. The guys with p4xs lifted here tend to keep em, tons of sv wheels to be had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts