Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had an 88 Toyota 4x4 w/a 22re that I ran a straight pipe on for a lil while. It smelled bad, ran the same and was a PITA at emissions time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm still learning about our trucks, used to work on ricers a lot, but usually there are 02 sensors before and after the cats. You'd probably have to run 02 sims in their place otherwise you're engine will start running like garbage.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm still learning about our trucks, used to work on ricers a lot, but usually there are 02 sensors before and after the cats. You'd probably have to run 02 sims in their place otherwise you're engine will start running like garbage.
Hmm
O2 Sims?
Never heard of them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oxygen simulators. They replace your factory oxygen sensor showing the pcm or emc that everything is ok. Those O2 sensors report to the fuel management system, there's usually at least one upstream and one downstream of the cat. When you eliminate the cats, that will cause your sensors to throw codes and make your fuel management system go into a really rich or really lean mode, depending on the car and FMS. If you cut off the cats and replace your sensors with sims, then the sims send an "ok" reading to the fuel management system and everything runs smoothly. Most times I've ever seen anyone run sims, they usually have an independent or piggy back fuel management system also.

Sims are a little taboo and I've heard people argue both ways, whether they work or not. But my old eclipse had a rather restrictive exhaust system, two pre-cats after the exhaust manifolds and then two full size cats. Replacing the cats with straight pipes was a common mod, but there were O2 sensors on the manifolds, after the pre-cats, and after the full cats. You could not practically change the exhaust without throwing codes. I know a lot of guys who went the O2 sim route with success. Personally, I went with a cat-back so I never tried them, but just saying it could be an option.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Has anyone gutted all 4 cats on a stock motor? What kind of issues would u run into?
Just wondering why you want to gut your cats? For what purpose?

·
Super Moderator
11,604 Posts
I had an 88 Toyota 4x4 w/a 22re that I ran a straight pipe on for a lil while. It smelled bad, ran the same and was a PITA at emissions time.
Smelled bad or smelled like cars and trucks used to?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The primarys were clogged so we gutted them. Now im getting p0420 p0430 and a p0021 code. Im on Guam and there are no emmissions checks.

We did an engine rebuild and now it idles high and slightly rough when in drive. I thought the gutted cats might be the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Ok,I understand.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...ah, Guam::grin::

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im thinking of putting some O2 extensions. I read an article that says anti foulers can fix the O2 issue.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Smelled bad or smelled like cars and trucks used to?
Not fat like any old 60s/70s pig runnin down the road, but not clean either. I made mine to bolt in between the cat flanges so I could pull it if unhappy with the results. It was a free mod from the scrap metal/muffler bin a the Toyota dealer I worked at. It was 1997, I was young, I regret my choices! Please forgive me for I knew not what I did.
I should mention the motor blew 3 months after I sold it. Not sure if the cat mod played a part on a 202Kmi motor But???

·
Super Moderator
11,604 Posts
Not fat like any old 60s/70s pig runnin down the road, but not clean either. I made mine to bolt in between the cat flanges so I could pull it if unhappy with the results. It was a free mod from the scrap metal/muffler bin a the Toyota dealer I worked at. It was 1997, I was young, I regret my choices! Please forgive me for I knew not what I did.
I should mention the motor blew 3 months after I sold it. Not sure if the cat mod played a part on a 202Kmi motor But???
60's and 70's were a great time to live in especially easy to work on cars. You're forgiven as we all played with catalytic converters at one time, lol. By 1997 I already had my kids and toys slowed (never stopped) down a bit but currently am on vehicle # 48 with 5 on the driveway these days. You need to keep going. The Mrs. long ago learned I have a car, truck and motorcycle thing. ::smile::

Clint

·
Registered
520 Posts
Oh she knows, we both have the sickness, its why we don't have a 3+ car garage. At the moment I have enough room for an ATV/SxS(50") or a dualsport in the garage. Maybe a 66/67 Satellite, pre 79 Ramcharger or a 78-79 Bronco next to the house then its 'Party Over". My problem is taking care of all of it. Frontier/Subaru/Fz6 need very little attention other than the occasional routine maintenance. A few years ago I got to the point where I would rather be clocking miles on my FZ6 than wrenching on an old beater in the garage. I sold my 65 Chrysler & swore I would never own another non-EFI rig again. Then the boredom of 4 days off kicks in, IDK???

·
Registered
504 Posts
60's and 70's were a great time to live in especially easy to work on cars. You're forgiven as we all played with catalytic converters at one time, lol. By 1997 I already had my kids and toys slowed (never stopped) down a bit but currently am on vehicle # 48 with 5 on the driveway these days. You need to keep going. The Mrs. long ago learned I have a car, truck and motorcycle thing. ::smile::

Clint
Hmmm. I remember the 70's well. I did not work on cars but I drove them. Personal opinion that there was nothing much made in the 70's automotive wise that wasn't pretty crappy (at least post oil embargo).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im getting the codes taken care of one at a time. Gona change the plugs and maybe the o2 sensors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts