Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2321 - 2331 of 2331 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
1C12DC33-830A-497A-A0BC-6445ABC27FEA.jpeg And yet again!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I guess being retired for 14 years, I lost quite a few skills’
Like putting in straight bore!!!!
Well the othe barrel is better,I will cirrectboth.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well from the pics it appears your doing it in your mill. As long as you run an indicator up the barrel both ways, and the drill is cutting equal chips you should be fine if that is how your doing it. Then I assume run a reamer to size.

If I were having trouble, I would probably not run a pilot first at all cause maybe its flexing and wandering off center(?). How are you tapping it ? In place without taking it out?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
  • To get the bore straight, I bored the hole . A reamers will follow a crooked hole.
  • Problem was I got lazy !
  • When I put the octagon on the barrels, I did it for two at the same time..
  • Finally,I did the finish cuts holding in to the bore.
    BA3DFAE1-58C2-4F2F-B71E-A38F5BCDB103.jpeg
    37529AE5-DC9D-4F99-9E96-3AFCCB123DE7.jpeg 37529AE5-DC9D-4F99-9E96-3AFCCB123DE7.jpeg

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Bores are straight.
Still need to crown barrel, finish grips.
Then back on the truck!
7DA980C6-F60D-4FA7-B62F-EF54E5684A93.jpeg

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
To answer your question about tapping the hole(1/2-20), I let the chuck( Jacobs, Albrecht , tap will slip when that large)
Slip in the collet to start the tap.
Once started , raise quill and finish with large tap handle.
The bore was off center((.007) not crooked.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
6speedmanual, sounds like you have sone experience in machining.
Always like talking machining.
Curious to know your background.
I still need to time the flats on the octagon to the correct location to the receiver..
I figured out how much needed to cut to calculate rotational distance needed .
How would you do it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
6speedmanual, sounds like you have sone experience in machining.
Always like talking machining.
Curious to know your background.
I still need to time the flats on the octagon to the correct location to the receiver..
I figured out how much needed to cut to calculate rotational distance needed .
How would you do it?
When I was a young lad, I decided I wanted to be a machinist. My grandparents and parents were among the generations that thought I did not need some foolish college or trade school... I hated school and barely graduated. So I took everything shop related I could in high school and then worked at a number of different places learning more along the way. Then I fell into a job at a welding shop where I learned all manner of welding, shaping, forming and fabrication, and got my certification.

During this period the landscape of manufacturing was changing, and everything became CNC and digital. I guess I was the very last of the dinosaurs :rolleyes:

Then I started building/fabricating industrial machinery and found my niche. Somthing clicked in my head, and my knowledge quickly increased exponentially. After a short while it became apparent to the powers that be, that I was a quick study, very good at what I do, and eventually given free reign. I machine my own parts as required, and any custom things I need. I work the in house panel shop as needed, "promoted" to one of two, assy "leader" men on the floor, and a go to guy on the floor for troubleshooting anything. That way they give you more responsibility without the raise... I pretty much fill in wherever needed where they need help the most, keep an eye on the guys, AND build my machines at the same time. LOL!

I am often given prototype machinery to build, and work closely with engineering, and spend time in that department behind a computer. They love me for doing research no one else wants to do... I have worked two places that had machinery built overseas, one in Italy, one in Portugal. I reverse engineered them from metric to inch so we could manufacture here.
That is a huge prospect and not as easy as one might think, you have to constantly think 20 steps or more ahead and behind. They don't like how long it takes me, but they like the end results.

At my previous job, I flew all over the country, doing installations, service and training. At one point for a few years, I was on the road about three weeks out of every month. Sometimes just coming home for a weekend and off to another one. Lots of sights, people, nice hotels, nice restaurants and hotel bars, missed and cancelled flights, layovers, delays bla bla.... I learned which airports to never fly in or out of!

So you get the idea, so I will stop there. I guess it could be said I know how stuff works, and works together and somehow have a natural ability at it. I'm certainly not perfect and make my share of mistakes, but I am very proud of who I am now as compared to a the stupid clueless and useless young person I was.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I have a practical and formal background in machining.
I took a few machine shop classes in high school, Mainly because if my motorcycle
Thought I was going to be a mechanical engineer.
After getting out of the service , I went into partnership with my best friend in a motorcycle shop.
We built race motors and bikes.
We were paying too much for machine work.
Went to trade school for 2.5 years.
Took my first programming class there. Bridgeport Boss 1. (1973)
The first job I took was a tooling machinist. Hated it! Very crude work.
I worked in job shops, aircraft plants(tool room).
Applied to TRW Space Sysrems. I got the job but was told it had to include a four year apprenticeship.
It was good that I did.
Technology has changed!
Planers, shapers,tracer lathes mills, rotary mills are long gone.
I to have been lucky.
Besides your conventional mills and lathes, I ran jig bores, plunge edm, wire edm.
Programmed CNC .
Having a clearance ,I worked special project.
Composite, integration and test, spacecraft assembly , tooling, etc.
We built satellites. Our satellite was in the Challenger when it exploded.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I like to shoot guns...🤪🙂😌

2321 - 2331 of 2331 Posts