Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2331 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
My friend passed on the Springfiield cand ordered a Kimber. Not sure which one. First time I looked at them. Saw a few videos on them. Nice gun.
Almost done with my Commander.
Thought I would list things I have done to this gun.
Removed fix sights. Welded up and machined for SW K38 adjustable sights(kept shearing off Stock t bolt). New one made out of alloy 60.
Made front sight . Had made a dovetail for a plastic insert. Bonded it in . Did not last long.
Finally replaced it. Used “Hard as Nails”. I used it from my fly tieing days.
Squared trigger guard.
Opened up frame to allow for “Gold Cup” trigger.
Peened rails, lapped in.
“Armand Swenson” ambidextrous safety.
“Wilson Combat” extended slide release, extended magazine release.
Wilson Combat full length recoil rod.
New bushing installed.
Ramped barrel.( will feed an empty shell).
Opened ejection port, beveled.
Trigger, sear, disconnecter work.
Straight trigger spring housing.
Beveled magazine port.
Packmyer grips.
Nickel plated. Glass beaded receiver , polished slide.
Need to install lughtened trigger.
Fit Beavertail . Not sure if I will use it.
Listed since someone asked.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm quite a few years from retirement but I've often thought gunsmithing would be a good second career. More to pass the time than as a money maker.

You guys are making that sound like a good plan. I think 1911s will still be around for a few hundred years...

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I'm quite a few years from retirement but I've often thought gunsmithing would be a good second career. More to pass the time than as a money maker.

You guys are making that sound like a good plan. I think 1911s will still be around for a few hundred years...[/
Nothing wrong with that. I am no gunsmith but as a machinist it was an easier for me to do certain task.
My friend went to the “Denver School of Gunsmithing”. They recommended taking a basic course in machining before he even enrolled. You might want to take a few machine shop classes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I went fishing and...

I know it's an oldie. But these days I have been spending more on fishing than this. About to swing back around to beefing up my sporting tools. This thread is inspiring. Think I may step into the world of 1911 when things were heavy and made of steel.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I'll never understand the desire to post a picture of owned firearms. I'd rather the general public not know what I have.
Curious as what do you think will happen by posting photos?
I have no problem with it.
If it was not for photos, this site would probably not exist.
Same with photos of our trucks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll never understand the desire to post a picture of owned firearms. I'd rather the general public not know what I have.
I can understand that from a privacy or security minded point of view. That said, just because someone posts a picture of a firearm doesn't mean it will be owned by that person forever. People sell and trade guns all the time.

The real reason that I think people do it is just from an enthusiast perspective. Like anything else, folks want to share the things they enjoy and for many people firearms are just a part of their normal everyday life. I also think it's socially important for firearms to be shown in that aspect as well. If we get to the point where we can't share them, it will be that much worse for the general perception of gun owners by those who don't own any.

After all that, here's another picture for you.::smile::

I put together a pistol lower and swapped the barrel on the .223 Wylde upper from a few pages back for a 10.5" version. I decided to dedicate that rifle lower for my 16" Grendel upper instead.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Agree totally. I have to also say, people like to share their work and skills.Well, the general public is welcome to see this. Really can’t see what is the big deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Curious as what do you think will happen by posting photos?
I have no problem with it.
If it was not for photos, this site would probably not exist.
Same with photos of our trucks.
Nothing will happen by posting photos. Simply put, It's not hard to figure out who any of us are. IF someone is watching me/my home, I'd rather them not know what they are looking for.

Yeah, I might be a little paranoid but I'm not putting a whole lot of trust in people these days.

You guys do you. I enjoy the pictures, but you'll never see one from me with what I own laid out across the bed.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I have no problem with that. That is your choice and I respect that.
I too would not lay all my weapons across the bed for a photo shoot.
I hate giving out information when racing in Mexico. It is required or you don’t race!
The information is all available through the different organizations. Pretty much anybody has access to it. It is the risk I take.
Does that mean no photos of your truck too?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no problem with that. That is your choice and I respect that.
I too would not lay all my weapons across the bed for a photo shoot.
I hate giving out information when racing in Mexico. It is required or you don’t race!
The information is all available through the different organizations. Pretty much anybody has access to it. It is the risk I take.
Does that mean no photos of your truck too?

I'll get around to truck pics eventually. I did just have it washed...:smile:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Agree totally. I have to also say, people like to share their work and skills.Well, the general public is welcome to see this. Really can’t see what is the big deal.
I would just caution people to obscure the serial number. I wouldn't want some nut job reporting it as stolen with my serial number, putting the burden on me to prove to the police that I actually owned it.

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
I would just caution people to obscure the serial number. I wouldn't want some nut job reporting it as stolen with my serial number, putting the burden on me to prove to the police that I actually owned it.
Not a concern up here in Canada. ;)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Miy 1911 is taking more time for the upgrade then I thought.
The new grip safety took a lot of fitting, filing, stinging and polishing. Works but trigger us rough sometimes. Might be the new hammer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
The grip safety would work properly and the safety would work properly but not in unison.
Lot more fitting by Braille!
Finally got them to work together and I am finally freaking finished!
Well, need to install extended mag release.
Just need to have it shot and tested.
Maybe when we test for NORRA , will go shooting also.
Want to shoot my BP 1860 Army for the first time too.

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
I got the new American Rifleman and on the front page was a picture of the new Mossberg 9mm MC1 sc. I said to my wife, if Academy has one, I will buy it, they had one and I bought it.
Seems like a good pistol.
Nice score. :cool: Let us know how she shoots.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Identical twins, I like redundancy. Home grown from Aero STS lowers, Aero uppers, carbine length straight flute H-Bar, Wylde chamber. Enhanced trigger group,
UTG M-Lock and butt stock. Don't tell anyone around here they think UTG stuff is junk, I don't.
Springco blue, H2 buffer, Seekins 45deg anodized ambi safety and extended mag release, MOE K2 grip so you dont have your chicken wing sticking out. Silencerco Omega and a bunch of other stuff.
As soon as I get my M14 back from warranty work I might show that off too!

Punisher bling is just for fun

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just ordered a palmetto state armory .556 ar this weekend as a backup/buddy extra rifle to hunt coyotes with. Way better price than my sig m400 was. Hopefully it performs as well.

Thanks to Colorado’s dumb “high capacity” magazine laws they had to ship it without a mag as they only sell them with standard size 30rd mags. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to use one of my grandfathered ones in the safe!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just ordered a palmetto state armory .556 ar this weekend as a backup/buddy extra rifle to hunt coyotes with. Way better price than my sig m400 was. Hopefully it performs as well.

Thanks to Colorado’s dumb “high capacity” magazine laws they had to ship it without a mag as they only sell them with standard size 30rd mags. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to use one of my grandfathered ones in the safe!

I have bought stuff from PSA in the past, just keep an eye on your C-C, people were getting hacked, me included

2261 - 2280 of 2331 Posts