Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2331 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Black powder rifles for killing things like deer is my limit.

I bought #2 son a .36 Navy Colt replica when he was about 12 and we shot it a fair amount until he was out shooting it and got an offer which he thought was more fun than cleaning the BP pistol. Gun was put away dirty and next time it was pulled out it was completely rusted solid or nearly so which ended his experience with BP and he just turned 30 and still won't shoot BP.

We did buy a golf ball cannon last summer and it's a lot of fun...need to paint the balls orange though so you can see them on the way to the target. Cannon is a "7.5 on a scale of 10".

As a kid growing up in Central Florida we lived on a lake and we made cannons for our jon boats out of grease guns. The barrel just fit a tapered wooden furniture leg and we fired them using cherry bombs. They would float when they landed in the lake so we could reuse them. You could see them coming at you so you could easily dodge them and not get hit...not so a '59 Buick Roadmaster that my Dad cherished. I still remember the whoopin I got for that one.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yeah, I owned a Buick Regal once. Hated it! I should have dumped it in a lake too!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I reload for my conventional weapons. Not sure why you would use black powder? Reason?
Just for the hell of it...and apparently the desire to give your gun a deep clean. It's not really cheaper than smokeless powder.

38 special was originally a black powder cartridge so it can be done.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Interesting. I guess 45 long Colt was originally black powder also.

Thinking about buying a 1858 Remington.
The one used in the movie” Palerider”.Anybody have experience wuth one?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Interesting. I guess 45 long Colt was originally black powder also.

Thinking about buying a 1858 Remington.
The one used in the movie” Palerider”.Anybody have experience wuth one?
I have a pair of them too. I find they foul faster than Colt revolvers. With the Colt I put a dab of bore butter (lube) on the arbor aka cylinder pin and find I can shoot all week. It's a good idea to put some lube on the 1858 Cylinder pin as well but you will find they (1858's) start locking up quickly requiring a wipe down and more lube.

Regarding shooting black powder cartridges, the key there is lube as well. You want a bullet that holds lots of natural lube (beeswax & tallow). The lube will coat the barrel and keep the black powder fouling soft. Soft fouling = good accuracy. Hard barrel fouling = poor accuracy.

As far as cleaning black powder - water is all you need. The faucet of your kitchen sink will work just fine. Followed by your gun oil of choice for preservation.
Don't buy into the hype of special BP cleaning solutions. Water - hot, cold, room temperature - works just fine. Soap is not needed but doesn't hurt. I hose the guns down, follow that with cleaning patches and cue tips. Follow that with whatever gun oil I have on the shelf. I finally found Ballistol on the shelf while visiting a gun shop in Michigan and have started using that for the final preservation lube.

There's tons of choices for natural lubes. Bore Butter works good. You can also do combinations of the following with Beeswax - Olive Oil, Crisco, Lambs Tallow, any salad type oil. I find the following works best for me when loading:

Powder, wool felt wad, dab of lube (Bore Butter), and a ball. Lube being under ball is directed down the barrel vs. lube over the top of ball that goes all over your hands and the outside of the gun.

I will use over ball lube when using chamber full powder loads in my revolvers.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all the info!
Ordered bore butter earlier today from Bass Pro. The solvent was back ordered so I will try and cancel after you telling me it is not necessary.
Really do appreciate your experience with these firearms!
Super thank you, to you sir!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Anytime Sir.

Here's a 21ft 5 shot group of mine. Point of aim is the base of the 5 ring. These guns all shoot high.

Above pic is what I use to shoot - not seen is a pound of Graf's FFFg powder, tins of Remington #10 caps, a nipple wrench, and powder measure. Make sure you move your powder flask out of the way when shooting. Mine is just sitting their while I load.

I use .454 diameter lead round ball, 30gr of FFFg real BP, homemade wool felt wads (Wonder Wads work), and Remington #10 caps.
The powder flask seen above holds 30gr in the nozzle. The Ted Cash pistol capper works decently once you get the hang of it.
You'll want a nipple wrench if you don't have one. You can make one out of a socket for a socket wrench. A powder measure is handy to have.

I tried my hand at some homemade wads and homemade lube. My lube formula was too sticky as I was finding wads under my 25yd steel gong. That tells me the wads are sticking to the base of the ball which throws the accuracy off. I need to add some more Crisco to my lube to soften it up.

Duelist1954 on youtube has some great videos that show the loading process.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOrzQir9WP9UpH8qtWx_ppw

Some reading for you:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

In regards to the tuning articles, I mostly just fit the bolt to the locking notches on the cylinder.
I do that by swiping the bolt head a couple times on 600 grit sandpaper and then check the fit again. You probably want to get a good gunsmith screwdriver set to take the gun down. I bought a set of Grace Screwdrivers from Cabela's. However, this 3 piece set is perfect for Pietta revolvers:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/grace-usa-peacemaker-screwdriver-set.html

A note on Italian screws, their heads are extremely soft. Using the wrong type of screwdriver will result in messed up heads.
The Bolt / trigger spring screw in the frame is real ***** to get out the first time. I find it's best to put the frame in a padded bench vice and put lots of weight on the screw driver to get that one out.

About 6 months ago I picked up a 36 caliber Pietta 1851 Navy. The bolt screw was really in there and I munged the heck out of it till I put the frame in my vice.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Your spread is impressive!! I doubt if I will shoot it much. I had two detached retinas and four eye surgeries. Pretty much blind!
I read that vegetable wads , 1/16” work well. Special nipples made by Slixshot.
I really don’t need all that but it is interesting what people do.
I was llooking for a capper. Will look into the Tes Cash you recommended.
Truth is, it is a nice gun to just hold. Feels good in the hand.
My friend from Texas sent me this.earlier tonight.It belonged to her dad. Her dad made the holster but she said it was not for the 1860. I figured that. No red for cartridge loops with the ipistol shown.
Threw me off since she said it was an 1850. I checked, and that is the correct patent date.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Your spread is impressive!! I doubt if I will shoot it much. I had two detached retinas and four eye surgeries. Pretty much blind!
I read that vegetable wads , 1/16” work well. Special nipples made by Slixshot.
I really don’t need all that but it is interesting what people do.
I was llooking for a capper. Will look into the Tes Cash you recommended.
Truth is, it is a nice gun to just hold. Feels good in the hand.
My friend from Texas sent me this.earlier tonight.It belonged to her dad. Her dad made the holster but she said it was not for the 1860. I figured that. No red for cartridge loops with the ipistol shown.
Threw me off since she said it was an 1850. I checked, and that is the correct patent date.
Fiber wads are good to go.
I find that the smoke, flash, and noise of black powder is 1/2 the fun. Kind of like Independence Day fireworks.

I mostly shoot at a large steel gong out back of the house but will occasionally shoot paper to see what the gun is doing as far as accuracy.
There is an old timer name Hovey Smith who put a red dot on a Walker Colt and named it the Super Walker. Not really my taste but would work for those with eye sight issues:

https://hoveysknivesofchina.com/2015/01/14/walker-revolver-colt-walker-hunting-with-percussion-revolvers-black-powder-revolvers-ossabaw-island-hunt-handgun-hunting-black-powder-hunting-pistol-hunting-deer-hog-hunting-hunting-georgia-i/

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
Nice looking reolvers, guys. I have a single shot Traditions .50 that I haven't shot yet. I bought all the powder, wads, caps, etc to shoot it, I just haven't had the nerve to get out and figure out how to shoot it. I kind of want someone that knows what they are doing to show me the ways before dumping too much powder next to my hand.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice looking reolvers, guys. I have a single shot Traditions .50 that I haven't shot yet. I bought all the powder, wads, caps, etc to shoot it, I just haven't had the nerve to get out and figure out how to shoot it. I kind of want someone that knows what they are doing to show me the ways before dumping too much powder next to my hand.
everything I know about black powder is from YouTube, just look up your specific model and there should be plenty of demonstrations!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was gonna post this .223 Wylde rifle that I put together from a pile of parts in honor of page 223, but it looks like I didn't get around to it in time. Oh well. I've been following this thread since coming to CF but haven't posted in it before. Lots of cool guns posted here already.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My latest is this Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. Love this little shorty. Shoots the Hornady 123g SST a hair better than MOA!

Next up is a suppressor.
Those look like fun plinking rifles that can double as a nice hunting setup with the right ammo. How well does it do with the cheap steel case stuff?

Nice scope choice too BTW. I've got one of those on a 16" 6.5 Grendel upper I put together last year. Hard to go wrong with a Redfield/Leupold.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Those look like fun plinking rifles that can double as a nice hunting setup with the right ammo. How well does it do with the cheap steel case stuff?

Nice scope choice too BTW. I've got one of those on a 16" 6.5 Grendel upper I put together last year. Hard to go wrong with a Redfield/Leupold.

All the reviews on YouTube and Ruger forums show MOA shooting with a variety of Russian Ammo. Love getting US made Redfields from Leupold at half price of a Leupold. I have them on 3 of my rifles.

Going to be my daily carry rifle for pigs and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Upgrading my Colt,70 Series, Commander.
Originally built this piece in the early 80’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pretty!

I have a full size Series 70 that's stock and beat up from being banked around for year. I've pretty much set the 1911's aside in favor of Glocks for carry. Just got a Shield .40 and it may get some carry time too shared with the G 27 I've carried since they came out. The older I get the harder it is to keep my pants up without suspenders so the Hi Power and 1911's have been on a long term rest...still fun to shoot but light guns carry better.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Well, I am in California and it is really hard to get a CC.
Maybe find a place for it on my new ride.
Lol.
Guess I am old school. Had Goverment models.,Gold Cups, Commanders.
Sold them all except for this one.
I breakout my Belgium made Hi Power when my 45 is down.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
I too shoot / carry mostly Glocks.

I inherited Dad's Colt Series 70 Govt model back in 1988. Did some custom work on in the early 1990's. It currently needs a new sear spring as I'm getting hammer follow on the last round out of the mag. I'll probably replace the hammer with a commander hammer. It mostly lives in the safe.

I too like my FN Hi Power. This is an Israeli PD trade in gun bought 7 or 8 years ago. I like guns with a little character on them. I don't feel bad adding more holster wear to it.

2221 - 2240 of 2331 Posts