Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, for some reason they removed them for 20/21. Apparently, they weren't really very informative anyway, they were more like on/off gauges.

I agree. They are more like “idiot indicators” as opposed to “idiot lights” I suppose, but still... given the choice I’d rather have the gauges.

I’m sure the change is because of the new power train. (And, it probably saves $1.75 per vehicle or some such thing).

·
Registered
136 Posts
The newer gagues look really "empty" and incomplete.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The only Gen2s with working oil pressure gauges were the '05s. So the story goes, service departments were inundated with visits from worried owners, alarmed that their oil pressure varied with engine RPM. Right. I even read Internet posts from alleged gearheads that too were concerned. Sigh. Accepting the reality that many owners are lacking in basic automotive knowledge, Nissan chose to neuter the gauge action.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The only Gen2s with working oil pressure gauges were the '05s. So the story goes, service departments were inundated with visits from worried owners, alarmed that their oil pressure varied with engine RPM. Right. I even read Internet posts from alleged gearheads that too were concerned. Sigh. Accepting the reality that many owners are lacking in basic automotive knowledge, Nissan chose to neuter the gauge action.
My 06 had an active oil pressure gauge. From what I understand 06 was the change over year. I wish they still ha a real gauge. The idiot light gauge is garbage.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Not sure if the new 9 speed has a pressure test port anywhere on it, but for the Jatco 5 speed & 4.0L V6, I did these.

Reactions: FitzIngarage

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My 06 had an active oil pressure gauge. From what I understand 06 was the change over year. I wish they still ha a real gauge. The idiot light gauge is garbage.
My '06 received the neutered gauge.:confused: It moves slightly, but is useless. I recall that some members here tried different sending units without success. We ended up figuring that Nissan simply edited the ECU code.

Off Topic: I remember sitting in a new '05 SE at a Dealer and it was equipped with the MPG display, which was not an option on SEs. It might have had the LE's upgraded seats too. Lots of neat colors in that first year, like Electric Blue and Canteen, both of which were eliminated in '06.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts