Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just went out to my 2007 KC manual to see what is directly below or behind the seats. The T-case is right there. I'm interested to see what you find when you change the fluid. It also looks like the forward U-joint of the rear driveshaft is directly below the seating area. Any chance you got ahold of a bad U-joint? Is the driveshaft centered? Is it rubbing on anything? Is there a vibration along with the noise?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel your pain, I just went thru a similar noise. I replace my hubs, checked the brakes, and wiggled everything etc. I was a little embarrassed when the third trip to the dealer, the shop Forman told me my brakes were dry. That they could do a $49.99 brake service to clean and lube them. Well after the price of 2 new OEM Hubs, I said go ahead I am here. Well 1500 miles later I haven't heard the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel your pain, I just went thru a similar noise. I replace my hubs, checked the brakes, and wiggled everything etc. I was a little embarrassed when the third trip to the dealer, the shop Forman told me my brakes were dry. That they could do a $49.99 brake service to clean and lube them. Well after the price of 2 new OEM Hubs, I said go ahead I am here. Well 1500 miles later I haven't heard the noise.
Huh? What needed to be lubed, the piston shafts? Mine are pretty dry but I think they're moving. Definitely not seizing up on me. I never lube them much when I do brake jobs.

·
Premium Member
12,042 Posts
sounds like you crushed some needle bearings when you were doing your U-joints if the noise presented directly after replacing.

the best thing you can do is take a video of it while driving so you can further help to pinpoint.
maybe if you have enough jack stands toss it up already in 4wd, do not shift while in the air... then let it in drive and see what happens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh. Thats a definite possibility. Not thrilled about doing that job again though. Any harm in running it until the noise gets worse, or ways to diagnose without re-doing the replacement?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - redid the ujoints. Twice actually, the yoke flange on the diff cracked on me replacing them the first time. I've also checked the front wheels for play another 3-4 times, taken the brakes out and cleaned/lubed the pads. The noise is still there and might be getting worse. Pulling out in the morning it seems to be a little worse until I get moving, then I can hear it up until about 40MPH. Anyone else have any guesses? Still sounds like its either under the drivers seat or in one of the two front wheels.

·
Premium Member
12,042 Posts
man i dont wanna sound like that guy but its really just not good to have us guess and then you do more work. i try to say this every time but i come off as a dick, you really need to take a good long video from as many points as you can and post it up for us to see.
i may have called wrong on the ujoints by going purely off of your text. its not good to try to diag off of text.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, that's worth a shot. It's not loud, and I can only hear it in the cab, but I'll take a video on the way home tonight and see if any of you guys can recognize the noise. This is my second frontier, and I had an Xterra before that, and I'm stumped.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Did you check the brake dust shields? Maybe one is hitting the rotor.

·
Super Moderator
10,394 Posts
Did you lube the slide pins so the caliper can move without binding?

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
sounds like you crushed some needle bearings when you were doing your U-joints if the noise presented directly after replacing.

the best thing you can do is take a video of it while driving so you can further help to pinpoint.
maybe if you have enough jack stands toss it up already in 4wd, do not shift while in the air... then let it in drive and see what happens.
U joints were my initial thought as well.

What brand of u joint did you install? Did you grease them? Are they grease able? Do they have zerk fittings? What method did you use to install?

·
Premium Member
12,042 Posts
without driving or seeing and hearing we are literally just guessing.

you could pull the front and rear DS at different times and test in 4wd then in 2wd and see what noises are there.
see if its on throttle or coasting, gear specific, speed specific, ect.

do you have a carrier bearing?

·
Premium Member
12,042 Posts
yea you will totally start leaking fluid from the rear, but desperate times lol.
the front shaft spins all the time, its the best independent front 4wd system ever, thats no sarcasm either. its my favorite ifs 4wd system ive ever worked on.

im wondering if its resistance pressure on the revers side of the gears if you are feeling it under you or close to under you with little to no pressure. and if its under you or behind you, you are dealing with the tcase. the trans is 85% in front of you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts